So, What About Mexico Now?

sail7seas

Personally, I seriously doubt anyone is going to be cruising to Mexico this week or next.

JMHO......

I would agree Sail, I am guessing (I stress it's just speculation) that within 48 hours all cruiselines will be making anouncments:(

John

D:

Both my husband and I are 51 and in perfect health. I have not even seen my doctor since my annual check up last summer. His doctor filled it without questions. My doctor said to cancel the trip! When I told her that was not possible, she filled it.

From my reading, it is effective as a preventative as well as a cure (so to speak). I do not know if I will take it prior to being sick or not, but I have it in case.

I would think that where enough time exists to make alternate port plans, stops in different countries could be arranged. Otherwise, additional sea days would be the safe bet until this nasty bug runs it course.

Jim - I am truly not trying to be a smart-ass...but what other countries would be possible for all of the 3, 4, 5, 7, 10 day, and longer cruises from Los Angeles and San Diego? We live in L.A. and everyone is taking it very seriously and extreme precautions are being taken at LAX, but with air travel it just seems impossible to confine a virus to a particular country. For those scheduled on vacations and those who depend on the revenue from tourists I hope that people will be able to travel but will be prepared in case of infection. Just my opinion, Cherie

I would agree Sail, I am guessing (I stress it's just speculation) that within 48 hours all cruiselines will be making anouncments:(

John

Carnival's statement, which it seems relates only to Carnival ships rather than to the entire family of Carnival lines, follows:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6394798.html

Short and to the point. Time will tell, but I doubt this will be the last proclamation, particularly if this country is preparing for a pandemic.

Carnival has decided to defy Homeland Security and Department of State Recommendations? Hmm...... certainly hope no one aboard their cruises to Mexico actually contracts it. First and foremost, don't want anyone to get sick but wow o wow........ I wonder how many hours until a new statement is issued if, indeed, that report is accurate.

Department of State says don't go and Carnival is going to bring cruisers? :rolleyes: Believe that when I see it.

We were originally booked on a 5-night cruise which included Cozumel leaving in another week. Thankfully, we canceled some time ago.

But it's hard for me to believe that cruiselines will defy the government "suggestion" and continue to include Mexican ports. All we need is ships full of passengers exposed to Swine Flu and arriving back on Florida soil, getting on planes and returning home to dozens of states. The very thought is absolutely insane!!!

I can't believe they can't divert to other ports just as they would do with a hurricane threat. Otherwise, they're just asking for trouble.

RCL stock was way down today as well. The lower market in general is blamed on this flu scare.

While this may well become a problem or even a pandemic, as usual the media is immersed in turning it into a massive fear factor. It's one thing to alert people and suggest we not travel to a country hit with a flu epidemic .... quite another to spark irrational fear.

Still, I sure hope the cruise lines wise up and stay away from Mexico. If not, an awful lot of people will be asking for their money back.

If Carnival does change position shortly, what really is the alternative for a 7 day cruise? Seven days to nowhere is a bummer especially for those sailing on the Carnival Splendor. What would be the ports if they head north from Long Beach?

From HAL's website:

"Swine Flu Reaction – Updated April 27, 2009 – 1:30pm PDT

At Holland America Line the safety, security and comfort of our guests and crew are our top priorities. There have not been any reports of people exhibiting symptoms of swine flu on any of Holland America Line’s 14 ships. No itineraries have been changed.

The Corporate Medical Office, in cooperation with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Health Canada, are monitoring the current situation closely. Holland America Line has an established robust respiratory (influenza) surveillance and treatment protocol that was developed in conjunction with CDC. The protocol has been in continuous use since its inception more than 10 years ago. Medical staff follow very clear guidelines, with a treatment protocol for the identification of influenza. Our ships can test for Influenza A and B and ships maintain a supply of the recommended anti-viral medications for influenza. Our ships’ cleaning protocols also are effective against surface contamination for

flu virus.

Cruises with port calls in Mexico operate between late September and early May. Guests on the remaining cruises this spring will receive communication on board regarding any special precautions that might become recommended. Guests are encouraged to contact the infirmary should they show any signs of influenza and practice the healthy habits of washing hands, using sanitizer dispensers, covering mouths when coughing and not touching their mouth and eyes."

I doubt this will be the last of the announcements. Further, many of us question whether people honestly answer the pre-boarding health form ... so, passengers owning up to not feeliing well under this swine flu period also would be questionable. Wonder, if they'll include swine flu symptom questions on the pre-boarding form.

I work in an xray clinic ,Ontario Canada. We were instructed to ask ALL patients if they had travelled to Mexico within the last 10 days. If they were to answer yes and presented with cough/ fever they were to be directed to local hospital.for their evaluation.

It is our routine to always mask any patient with cough and fever even before this latest scare. Post Sars has made us extra careful.

As a healthcare worker who spent her entire work day masked gowned gloved and goggled durig that frightening time,I pray Swine flu does not become a world wide health threat

No need to over react ,every need to exercise caution.

Travel will most certainly be curtailed if this flu erupts.How the travel industry weathers the storm is anyones quess.

On the Pacific coast of Mexico it is not easy to divert to other ports. I think it is important for cruise lines, airlines, and the government to educate traverlers so that they can make their own decision. I don't know how or why cruiselines would discontinue service when airlines do not. Cherie

On the Pacific coast of Mexico it is not easy to divert to other ports. I think it is important for cruise lines, airlines, and the government to educate traverlers so that they can make their own decision. I don't know how or why cruiselines would discontinue service when airlines do not. Cherie

While airlines may not be curtailing servicce to Mexico, some (like American Airlines) are offering passengers the option of altering plans without incurring change fees.

That's true but they are not going to stop transporting passengers to and from Mexico. Hopefully cruse lines will do the same, giving passengers the ability to make a decision. And I may be totally wrong and airlines will be forced to stop service to Mexico, I just can't imagine it though. Cherie

I have mixed feelings:

> if pax can choose to get off at port, but not staff and vice versa... what is the point of one group being able to but not the other?

>can a Capt tell staff they are not allowed off?

>if the bug escalates at a port while ship is enroute, will H.Q take the port off the itinary?

>and why are the Mexican's getting so sick from this but not anyother nationality?

I have mixed feelings:

> if pax can choose to get off at port, but not staff and vice versa... what is the point of one group being able to but not the other?

>can a Capt tell staff they are not allowed off?

>if the bug escalates at a port while ship is enroute, will H.Q take the port off the itinary?

>and why are the Mexican's getting so sick from this but not anyother nationality?[/quote]

That is not the case. While the first cases may have been reported in Mexico, with Mexican nationals being the earliest afflicted, I believe those with flu in this country may be of many racial and ethnic backgrounds. Further, I believe this is showing up in Europe as well.

I believe sizzle sisters is referring to the fact that, at last count, at least 149 Mexicans have died from the flu, while the cases in other countries appear to be mild, most not even resulting in hospital admission.

I am very curious about this as well.

As the news media and politicians create a panic situation regarding swine flu, contemplate this.

Each year in the U.S. 36,000 people die from Influenza. (better not tour the U.S.)

There is only ONE person in the U.S. hospitalized with Swine Flu.

If everyone is inocculated against Swine Flu, approximately 1000 people will die from said inocculation.

Rich

While airlines may not be curtailing servicce to Mexico, some (like American Airlines) are offering passengers the option of altering plans without incurring change fees.

Jet Blue has offered no penalty cancellation and use of the credit within 12 months.

As the news media and politicians create a panic situation regarding swine flu, contemplate this.

Each year in the U.S. 36,000 people die from Influenza. (better not tour the U.S.)

There is only ONE person in the U.S. hospitalized with Swine Flu.

If everyone is inocculated against Swine Flu, approximately 1000 people will die from said inocculation.

Rich

It's true many died in the 70's from those shots. Many were paralyzed.

Let's hope they have learned from their previous errors.

I believe sizzle sisters is referring to the fact that, at last count, at least 149 Mexicans have died from the flu, while the cases in other countries appear to be mild, most not even resulting in hospital admission.

I am very curious about this as well.

Exactly! It is strange. I wonder if the strain has weakened from the first initial blast that the Mexican groups got?? Or are they much sicker due to pollution in that city? Or sadly due to the fact that there are so many poorer and less healthy that succumbed to it whereas our cases are young and healthy??

Exactly! It is strange. I wonder if the strain has weakened from the first initial blast that the Mexican groups got?? Or are they much sicker due to pollution in that city? Or sadly due to the fact that there are so many poorer and less healthy that succumbed to it whereas our cases are young and healthy??

Comments on the news this afternoon indicated that no one really knows ... perhaps the severity in Mexico is because the flu was there longer than anywhere else, for who knows how long. Also, it is possible that as this rolls on, cases in the U.S. and around the world may take on the severity of what's in Mexico. At this point, pure conjecture.

Archived