switching names on rooms once on board?

We are booking a cruise on the Ruby Princess in November with my parents.

We have cruised princess before-so we are eligible for quite a subsantial discount of over $400 on the cruise PP. We are booking the rooms in my name and my mom in my cabin-and my dad and my husband in the other-since that was the only way to get them the discounted rates on the cruise.

Is it really easy to just go to the pursers deck and switch that back to the right arrangement-my parents in one room and us in the other once we get on board?

thanks!

You don't even have to go to the purser's desk--just switch when you check in---that way, everyone gets the "right" keys from the get-go. They do NOT care who sleeps where or with whom....once the booking is done, they will put whoever you want in whichever room. Do it at check-in, and you won't need to make a different stop!

Totally agree. Just settle in whichever room you want! Doing 3 family cruises of almost 20 each, the teens especially were switching rooms to fit their sleeping patterns. Even more than once on the cruise! ;)

cb at sea---exactly where do you mean at check in. Do you mean at the port check in or at the pursers desk once on board ship?

We too need to exchange keys, but we might have an issue because I need to switch cabins with my son so that he can be with his brother and I can be with my husband.

Thanks for any info

Karen

cb at sea---exactly where do you mean at check in. Do you mean at the port check in or at the pursers desk once on board ship?

We too need to exchange keys, but we might have an issue because I need to switch cabins with my son so that he can be with his brother and I can be with my husband.

Thanks for any info

Karen

In your case, keep each boy registered with one of the parents as that's the rules on board. No minors alone in a room. Then just exchange your keys accordingly.

CB was talking about rearranging adults. That can be done at the port check in when they get your credit card info, take your picture, give you your shipcard etc. Not on the ship.

You don't even have to go to the purser's desk--just switch when you check in---that way, everyone gets the "right" keys from the get-go. They do NOT care who sleeps where or with whom....once the booking is done, they will put whoever you want in whichever room. Do it at check-in, and you won't need to make a different stop!

Actually, you have to check in first and then go to the Guest Relations desk to get the keys changed out. If you try to switch when you check in, they can and will take any discounts away.

We've done this many times with our kids before my son was old enough to have a cabin in his name. One parent per cabin, one child.

When you set up your set sail account prior to the cruise, or whatever your pre-cruise registration is called, each person can set up their own credit account. That way, the cabin charges will be to that person rather than to the cabin.

I went on the Carnival Fantasy in January 09, and it was my first cruise, a gift from my fiance's parents, who also went. They had been cruising before and qualified for some other discounts, so they switched the names around to get the best price. As soon as we boarded we went straight to the purser and told them that the TA had made a mistake and we were in the wrong rooms. He switched it no problem, and our bags were even delivered to the correct rooms when we went down later. I guess the people on the boat don't want to deal with any problems like that and don't care if you get a little extra discount.

In your case, keep each boy registered with one of the parents as that's the rules on board. No minors alone in a room. Then just exchange your keys accordingly.

CB was talking about rearranging adults. That can be done at the port check in when they get your credit card info, take your picture, give you your shipcard etc. Not on the ship.

The poster doesn't say what line she is cruising on, but this is NOT the rule onboard Royal Caribbean nor on Princess. My children (minors) are allowed to be in their own cabin...I can even book them this way as long as my cabin is nearby.

Archived