upcharge for filet mingon? is it true?

They are selling it like this:

You can get still get a free steak in the dining room, but we are providing you the option to get a better, "signature" steak for only $14.95 in the dinning room.

I don't agree with ANY extra fees charged in the main dinning room (other than drinks, of course), but there have been 100 threads on this topic, so I will leave it at that.

Bummer man!!!

Oh well! Still going to give Royal a try.....even if the nickel and dime me.

(I knew there was a reason I was a huge fan of DCL!)

For the life of me, I can not get what people don't understand about this. RCI is not charging to eat steak. All they did was add one of Chops' signature steaks to the menu as an alternative option. The regular beef options are still on the menu and are still free. All this means is that you now have the option of paying $14.95 for a Chops steak in the main dining room, rather than paying $25 per person by eating in the specialty restaurant.

for the life of me, i can not get what people don't understand about this. Rci is not charging to eat steak. All they did was add one of chops' signature steaks to the menu as an alternative option. The regular beef options are still on the menu and are still free. All this means is that you now have the option of paying $14.95 for a chops steak in the main dining room, rather than paying $25 per person by eating in the specialty restaurant.

AMEN! It's like someone at a drive through asking if you want to super-size your meal for an extra charge. If you don't want it, you don't have to have it.

For the life of me, I can not get what people don't understand about this. RCI is not charging to eat steak. All they did was add one of Chops' signature steaks to the menu as an alternative option. The regular beef options are still on the menu and are still free. All this means is that you now have the option of paying $14.95 for a Chops steak in the main dining room, rather than paying $25 per person by eating in the specialty restaurant.

Paul, I think you know what people don't appreciate about the charge. It's been said hundreds of times in the other threads that you, I and many others have posted on. A great many of us feel that if we are OK with this, then the cruiselines will simply add more for-fee items to the menu.

Do you want the upgrade cesear salad? $4.95

How about a true jumbo shrimp cocktail? $6.50

Fresh asparagus... $3.95 when ordered with the $14.95 steak.

etc etc

I rather pay the upcharge and enjoy it inside chops. The service and atmosphere is terrific and well worth a few extra bucks. I have found the food in the MDR to be just ok. But they are plating hundreds of meals at a time and the food rarely comes out hot.

It is true as others have stated, but really not worth it. My dh and I ordered it on our cruise a couple of weeks ago. They were inedible and we sent them back. They were tough and chewy. I always order rare and this one was yucky. We weren't charged in the end.

We were on DCL last year and the food was fantastic in the regular dining rooms. The normal steaks I had were yummy.

You know what? I do understand!

It just doesn't make sense to upcharge...I was simply stating an opinion and now someone has to get all smart on me!

I rather pay the upcharge and enjoy it inside chops. The service and atmosphere is terrific and well worth a few extra bucks. I have found the food in the MDR to be just ok. But they are plating hundreds of meals at a time and the food rarely comes out hot.

The option in the MDR does help people who cruise with young children who aren't allowed in Chops, it gives the Chops quality but without the Chops atmosphere, and it is an OPTIONAL EXTRA, all the usual steaks etc are still on the menu

Don't worry DCL got your nickels/dimes before you even boarded ;)

atleast I got what I paid for....

yep, but if I wanted I could have free soda all the time too.

and if I wanted, I could have 2 steaks at dinner...filet mingons at that and not be upcharged. (DCL lets you order 2 entrees if you want to try both)

I could also get room service without up charge too....

So anyway....as I mentioned earlier, we are still going to give it a shot! I will make the decision afterwards as to whether it was worth it or not.

Is that fair?

Paul, I think you know what people don't appreciate about the charge. It's been said hundreds of times in the other threads that you, I and many others have posted on. A great many of us feel that if we are OK with this, then the cruiselines will simply add more for-fee items to the menu.

Do you want the upgrade cesear salad? $4.95

How about a true jumbo shrimp cocktail? $6.50

Fresh asparagus... $3.95 when ordered with the $14.95 steak.

etc etc

You're being ridiculous. They are not taking anything away from you. You still get the same old steak you've always gotten in the dining room. But now, you have the option of another steak. Not like they took the free steak and started charging for it.

Bummer man!!!

Oh well! Still going to give Royal a try.....even if the nickel and dime me.

(I knew there was a reason I was a huge fan of DCL!)

It's an option. They still have other cuts of beef on the menu. With Disney you are paying for it up front in the price. Also based on friend and relatives that have cruised on Disney and other lines, sounds like I am not missing much in the way of food by not going on Disney.

(DCL lets you order 2 entrees if you want to try both)

So anyway....as I mentioned earlier, we are still going to give it a shot! I will make the decision afterwards as to whether it was worth it or not.

Is that fair?

You can order two or three entrees, appetizers AND desserts if you want on RCI too! Hubby does this sometimes and I love two shrimp cocktails as a treat. :) You'll have a great cruise.

You know what? I do understand!

It just doesn't make sense to upcharge...

If DCL added an option to order from the Palo menu in one of their no-charge restaurants, making it so that families with kids would have the option of trying a Palo meal, would you have a problem with that? That's all RCI is doing.

There is no new upcharge for anything on the regular menu. By adding this option, they did not take away from the regular menu.

You can order two or three entrees, appetizers AND desserts if you want on RCI too! Hubby does this sometimes and I love two shrimp cocktails as a treat. :) You'll have a great cruise.

that is good to know. thank you.

and thank you for your kindness! :)

You're being ridiculous. They are not taking anything away from you. You still get the same old steak you've always gotten in the dining room. But now, you have the option of another steak. Not like they took the free steak and started charging for it.

I wonder if, at one time, someone would have posted on the boards that there would some day be an item we would have to pay for (yes, I know.. an optional item) on the MDR menu, how many people would have the same reaction you do to my view: ridiculous.

that is good to know. thank you.

and thank you for your kindness! :)

I think some of us were not realizing that this is your first RCI cruise and you are seeing it like you have to pay to eat in the MDR. This is not the case at all and you will have plenty of options on the menu. We like to order extra app's or an extra meal for the table sometimes, too, if it's something everyone would like to try but not have as their main meal.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the level of service that you'll get not just in the MDR but everywhere on the ship. ;)

I wonder if, at one time, someone would have posted on the boards that there would some day be an item we would have to pay for (yes, I know.. an optional item) on the MDR menu, how many people would have the same reaction you do to my view: ridiculous.

Think about it. It is ridiculous. You're upset because they ADDED AN ADDITIONAL ITEM to the menu with a charge. They didn't take anything away, they added something new.

Gee, my local steak house added a new steak to their menu. Lets get pissed off about it. It makes no sense at all.

We just returned from the Monarch. The Chops filet was on the menu each night.

I ordered the Filet for something different. It was good and I will probably order to again when we sail on a ship without a specialty restaurant.

DH thought it was a little overpriced considering Chops is only a $25 charge and you get lots of extras. Not sure if it is offered on ships with Chops, but if so – I would simply go to the restaurant.

There were plenty of other options on the 3 night standard menu inlcuding other steaks and a sliced tenderloin.

M

Archived