confused on cancellation policy

shellster1

I just went to the Carnival website. Unless I read it wrong, I think it stated that even if you don't have insurance, you can cancel your cruise and get half your money back within 30-8 days of your set departure date. Does that sound correct? That's not too bad. Yeah you're still taking quite a hit, but at least you get something back.

Yes, I'm asking just in case this swine flu doesn't get any better. I'm set to sail the Mexcian Riveria on May 24th. My plan is to wait it out a little while then if the travel advisory is still in affect, I will cancel and take a loss.

If I'm misinformed on this, please let me know. THANKS!!

I've heard (don't know how accurate it is) that some with strictly mexican destinations have been able to change their cruise without penalty. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

Also I was told earlier that if they make an itineray change on your cruise, you have 24hours to change your booking to another cruise without penalty. So if they cancel your port you could change, but only if you do it within 24hours of them deciding to cancel.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Port_Cancellation_Policy.aspx

Depends on how you booked, here the info from the site:

Port Cancellation Policy

If Carnival Cruise Lines ("Carnival") has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary, it will promptly -- upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct booking ("the Notice"). The Notice shall offer guests an opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty within 24 hours of the delivery of the Notice. Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled booking or substituted port. In the event a guest does not cancel his or her cruise on a timely basis, no additional compensation for the itinerary change will be offered to the guest at a later time.

In the event the itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival shall attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the itinerary change to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. No compensation shall be provided to guests when an alternative port is offered.

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account.

Nothing herein shall affect the guest's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.

Archived