death in the family

My family has booked a cruise for 2010. My cousin's wife has died suddenly. Do I just call

RCC to let them know because it's too soon to know if he will go alone. Does this affect his

cost of the cruise? I hope my cousin will decide to go but it's too soon to know. He does have insurance for the cruise. I just don't know what to do.

thanks

Abay

My family has booked a cruise for 2010. My cousin's wife has died suddenly. Do I just call

RCC to let them know because it's too soon to know if he will go alone. Does this affect his

cost of the cruise? I hope my cousin will decide to go but it's too soon to know. He does have insurance for the cruise. I just don't know what to do.

thanks

Abay

My condolences to your family.

Your cousin may not want to go because it would be something he & his wife were to share.

You didn't mention if he has kids and if they were coming? If he does, perhaps he will still go as not to dissapoint them.

I wouldnt mention it now. I think you have 90 days prior to your cruise to pay in full.

Again..so sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry to hear your news and offer my sympathy to you and your family.

Last year I sadly lost my sister. A few months later my uncle suggested taking a cruise as a means of a complete change of scenery and diversion. It was a wonderful experience and I know my sister would have approved. There's no need for you to rush into making a decision at this time but the advice to get the options available is a good one.

Sorry for your loss.

If he has insurance, the cost of a single supplement may be paid for by his insurance. You would have to check the policy. I wouldn't notify RC now as he still has a lot of time before final payment is due. He can decide later on what he wants to do.

Fortunately the US contract does not force you or your cousin to have to think about this right now..... What you might want to do is check the policy since insurances often have claim windows that won't allow you to take the time.... and see if they won't cover the single supplement in such a case if they do check to see if there is a time frame in which such a claim needs to be made in. If they don't then you can take all the time you need up until the final payment date.

Since there is still some time to final payment for you maybe your cousin will consider taking a friend or another family member - however even this still has time. Just keep an eye on that date because I am sure your cousin has something else to worry about and might not even think about the cruise for a while.

Sorry for your famlies loss. At this point, the insurance is a moot point since your cousin can still cancel and get all his money back. I think the insurance kicks in after final payment has been made. I wouldn't tell RCCL anything at this point. When it gets closer to sail time your cousin might want to cruise with another family member or friend. Then it just takes a phone call to change the name of the 2nd passenger.

Sorry for your famlies loss. At this point, the insurance is a moot point since your cousin can still cancel and get all his money back. I think the insurance kicks in after final payment has been made. I wouldn't tell RCCL anything at this point. When it gets closer to sail time your cousin might want to cruise with another family member or friend. Then it just takes a phone call to change the name of the 2nd passenger.

Not really-if he were to cancel outright now, and rebook later, as a single, he would have to pay a supplement. He may choose to keep his current cruise and go as a single, with his extended family, in which case the insurance may possibly cover the supplement due to the circumstances.

We had booked a cruise for May of 08 early in 2007.. when my dad died suddenly in july of 2007 we did nothing about his and mom's reservation ..in time she dcided to come along since it was a family celebration for my BIL's 40th b-day. She asked my aunt to join her.. Dad was of course missed ( since it would...have been his first blacony after many cruises) .There were other options she could have come as a 3rd person or single ..but it all worked out .. but my advice is there is so much time to the cancel no penalty period no rash decisions should be made ..just my two cents .. and of course your family does have my heartfelt sympathies...

Very sorry for your loss.

I agree don't say anything to RCCL yet. You have plenty of time, and he has insurance. Right now it's not an issue.

Let him get through his loss and make up his own mind. You never know what a year will bring.

When I lost my dad, my sisters and I thought my mother would spend the rest of her life in a black dress sitting in a chair stareing out into space. (pretty much what she did for weeks afterwards)

6 months later she was in Aruba with her lady friends , and has been out and about and traveling ever since.

Abay, condolences on your loss.

I would call the insurance company, tell them what happened and find out if they would cover the single supplement if your cousin decides to go on the cruise. Your cousin doesn't have to decide untill final payment time, but it would be very helpful to know how the insurance will cover him.

Another thought is to talk to your travel agent and ask him/her to find out the info for you.

sue

thank you for all the advice; I hope my cousin will decide to come us. like you said he has the insurance so there is no rush for him to decide. he'll have time to heal and adjust to life alone and later what better way to rejoin society then a cruise.

Archived