Missing school in kindgarten

brenderlou

Hi all

Our daughter will be starting kindergarten this school year. Without thinking about that, I booked an 8 night cruise a few months back.

The cruise is on Jan. 9th. My concern is this.......she will only be back from Xmas break for one week and then it's the cruise.

My gut is telling me that we need to reschedule and try and get a cruise that isn't right after a week break. I'm just use to the preschool setting when we didn't have to think about this.

The school is closed for 2 days (Mon & Tues) about 2 weeks after Xmas break for employee planning days and now I'm wondering if we should go that week when she would only miss 3 days of school instead of a whole week.

Traveling during spring break or Xmas break would just be out of our budget so I was wondering what other parents did when their little ones were in kindergarten.....

thanks!!

I had no problems taking mine out at that age- travel is a tremendously educational experience. Now high school is a different thing- and once they are working, even part time......I'd go for it!

Thanks. I normally wouldn't sweat it but she would get back from Xmas break (2 weeks), be in school for one week and then out for a week on the cruise. I don't know if the timing is right and we should try to book a cruise when there was just a long school break....Help!!!!:p

I had no problems taking mine out at that age- travel is a tremendously educational experience. Now high school is a different thing- and once they are working, even part time......I'd go for it!

I agree, if it were High School or even Junior High I would probably change it but for kindergarden don't worry about it.

I always take my children out of school to vacation with no problems. I have only had one teacher who gave me a problem with it and I still took my daughter. Most teachers will tell you that many families struggle in today's world with spending quality time with their kids (work, social obligations, etc....). Also you can make a travel experience educational with very little thought. I have my children send their class post cards and we have even had teachers and their classes leave us messages on our answering machine to practice their sight words. You really should not worry about the class time your child will miss, focus on the experience she will have to look back on.

Thanks for the replies everyone...My only concern was her missing a week so soon after coming back from Xmas break. Also, we get back on a Sunday and there in no school that Mon & Tues. Her current preschool allows previous students to come back that first year so we are fine there.

The principle at school mentioned to all the parents that vacation is NOT an excusable absence. Can ya tell she scared the %^&$ out of me????

When our son was in kindergarten we had the same thing happen. We booked a vacation without realizing the true breaks at school. The school was closed for a week February recess and then he went back the next week to be pulled the following week for vacation. It was not a big deal.

I would not let the school make you feel bad, let the teacher aware of your plans a month or two ahead and as the vacation gets closer keep in contact with a few reminders. The week before touch base and ask to get work to bring with you.

We always purchase a notebook (lined) and a sketch book to bring. Our son makes a nice journal that we can have as a keepsake.

When our son was in kindergarten we had the same thing happen. We booked a vacation without realizing the true breaks at school. The school was closed for a week February recess and then he went back the next week to be pulled the following week for vacation. It was not a big deal.

I would not let the school make you feel bad, let the teacher aware of your plans a month or two ahead and as the vacation gets closer keep in contact with a few reminders. The week before touch base and ask to get work to bring with you.

We always purchase a notebook (lined) and a sketch book to bring. Our son makes a nice journal that we can have as a keepsake.

Ahhh, thanks so much for the post. Now I'm starting to feel better. I was planning on getting work from the teacher to bring with us and perhaps do a vacation project while on the cruise to show her class when we get back.

Guess I'm just worried about starting off on the wrong foot but as long as she's learning at a good pace and her attendance is good, we will be fine.

I am a believer that you can take your kids out until middle school. After that, it becomes too difficult. I have taken my kids out to cruise in 1st - 4th grades and it was fine. They took their homework with them and did it on vacation. Family time is so important.

Unless your child has issues with school or a strong need for routines, I really would not stress about them having issues adjusting.

I dont care whether the absence is "excused" or not. I really dont care if my kid gets a "perfect attendance" award in elementary school. Not of any importance to me. :)

For us, I did not pull them the beginning of first grade (when they evaluate and work hard core with reading). I am avoiding pulling out in fall of third and fourth grade as they have state testing that I do not want them to have to make up.

We are pulling our third grader out for 6 days the week BEFORE Christmas this year.

Unless your child has issues with school or a strong need for routines, I really would not stress about them having issues adjusting.

I dont care whether the absence is "excused" or not. I really dont care if my kid gets a "perfect attendance" award in elementary school. Not of any importance to me. :)

For us, I did not pull them the beginning of first grade (when they evaluate and work hard core with reading). I am avoiding pulling out in fall of third and fourth grade as they have state testing that I do not want them to have to make up.

We are pulling our third grader out for 6 days the week BEFORE Christmas this year.

Ahhh, thanks so much for the post. Now I'm starting to feel better. I was planning on getting work from the teacher to bring with us and perhaps do a vacation project while on the cruise to show her class when we get back.

I did a photo DVD of what my daughter did one one of the cruises. The teacher cried when HE watched it. ;) I set it to music. And I just used Windows Movie Maker to do it. It was a big hit. :)

Then I reedited it and sent it to the other daughter's teacher in preschool. The class got a kick out of watching it.

Speaking as an elementary school teacher, I agree that the time spent with family experiencing new places and cultures is worth the days out of school. As long as the teacher is aware, there shouldn't be any problems. The reason the principal made an issue of it was because we're not really supposed to condone vacations during school. It's true that the absences will not be excused, however, if your child doesn't have a lot of other absences throughout the year this won't be a problem.

I hope this helps.

I agree. We take our kids out every year for a week's vacation and my chidren's teachers' say they'll learn alot traveling. They are 4 in pre-k and 8 in 2nd grade. Like others, once they get into middle school or high school I will have to reconsider, but for now we go when the price is right!!

We did that with our child in Kindergarten, we told the teacher in advance so she put together the homework and what they would cover in class that week. I made it a point everyday to go over the content and then he would do his homework before something that he wanted to do (so I wouldn't get any complaining!). After we returned I called the teacher midweek and asked if there was anything he needed extra work on. That way I felt good knowing that he wasn't behind. We like cruising the week after a school break because there are less kids so my kids get more attention in the kids programs and the boat is less crowded. Have fun and don't worry!

I did a photo DVD of what my daughter did one one of the cruises. The teacher cried when HE watched it. ;) I set it to music. And I just used Windows Movie Maker to do it. It was a big hit. :)

Then I reedited it and sent it to the other daughter's teacher in preschool. The class got a kick out of watching it.

YIKES!!! You are wayyy more advanced than I am. For a project, I was thinking of a collage of pictures on construction paper :D

As a former teacher and parent who takes her kid out of school I do not think you will have a problem taking her out for the week. However I will just warn you to not be surprised when you get a letter from your district or county of the unexcused absences and maybe even a truant letter with a warning of fines that could be assessed. Some districts are getting tough on absences, now nothing will happen, but it is a standard letter that some districts feel the need to send out for unexcused absences.

I will also say though that if you feel better changing the cruise until the later week when she already has two days off of school and will only miss three, that my help you feel at peace with it more. I try to do our vacation weeks those weeks that already have an inservice scheduled as it just makes it easier when making up homework etc.

It's true that the absences will not be excused, however, if your child doesn't have a lot of other absences throughout the year this won't be a problem.

Luckily I live in a school district that does excuse family vacations as an "educational trip" :D We had 2 cruises this school year, both were excused. :D

YIKES!!! You are wayyy more advanced than I am. For a project, I was thinking of a collage of pictures on construction paper :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA well your way will work too. I don't do well with scissors and glue. ;)

We are also taking our 2 kids out of school for a weeks vacation. Our DS is a Senior in high school and will graduate at the end of June and our DD is in 6th grade. I have talked to their teachers and since their attendance and grades have not been an issue, they are very happy for the kids. :) This is a once in a lifetime trip and we won't all be together in another year since he is going off to college.

Shelly :rolleyes:

I agree that trying to minimize the time missed is best.

We often choose to cruise the week of Thanksgiving since DD will miss at most 2 or 3 days (her school is out Wed/Thur/Fri the week of T-giving and often has a half-day on Tues or the Friday before).

DD is now in 7th grade. She is diligent about homework (and fortunately a good student, since at least in math, she is now learning things that I either did not learn or do not remember! :D). She generally has missed on average two to three days a year for vacations and/or family field trips. Since she is rarely sick, they are often her only absences.

Her school district allows it as an excused absence -- and generally ask that you 1) limit time off as much as possible, 2) give the teachers a two-week advance notice, 3) do not schedule during standardized testing periods, and 4) that each family excerises their own best judgement as to whether it is appropriate for their child(ren) to miss school.

Thanks to one and all for all your responses. I was seriously considering cancelling or changing the cruise but now I feel that we will be fine.

We are very good at making sure homework is done, not being late for school or taking alot of days off.

I also emailed the wife of my boss who is an elementary school teacher and got the same response. It will also be a nice break from the hussle and bussle of the holidays (we leave 1/9/10). I can't wait!!!!

We didn't have any problems until DS went into 7th grade. No problems with teachers but DS complained about how hard it was to make up the homework and he had issues with Basketball. I tried to limit time missed when he was in 8th grade by going over Thanksgiving which helped with homework but was still an issue with basketball. So last year I kept track of all of our schedules found a week in July that worked with all of us. Made sure the DH and I had the week off as soon as we were able to and am now looking forward to booking a cruise as soon as final payment is up for July that will not interfere with work, school, basketball, soccer, dance, church.... I need a vacation.

Archived