San francisco is not cabo...i dont want to go there!!!

hommebronze

This is for voluntary deviations. This incident is NOT a voluntary change. Here' date=' from Carnival's website:

[b']STATEMENT REGARDING SWINE INFLUENZA[/b]

Miami - April 29, 2009 7:00PM

Carnival Cruise Lines has canceled port of call visits to Mexico for 11 of its ships that are currently operating voyages and had scheduled stops in Mexico.

Additionally, for the 15 ships departing between Thursday, April 30 and Monday, May 4 with itineraries including calls in Mexican ports, those schedules have been modified. In many instances, the modification simply involved substituting an alternate port. Click here to see the details on the modified itineraries.

Guests who do not wish to sail on a modified itinerary may opt to receive a refund in the form of a future cruise credit equal to the full amount paid for the voyage. The credit may be applied to an alternate sailing departing through the end of 2010. Compensation for missed ports/altered itineraries (where applicable) for guests who sail varies by itinerary.

With four and five-day cruises from Galveston and New Orleans that are being converted to seven-day voyages, those guests may opt to receive their refund in the form of a future cruise credit or money back.

For cruises departing after May 4, an update will be provided in the near future. Guests are encouraged to check carnival.com periodically for further updates.

Carnival Voluntary changed the ports. No one said they couldn't go to Mexico. They chose not to, hence making it voluntary. However, no where in their stated policy does it state voluntary. Sounds like they are trying to go around their own policy be only issuing credits and not refunds. What is the difference between the extended 4-5 day cruise compared compared to non extended cruises?? Why do the extended cruises get refunds and the non extended cruises get credit for future cruises?? To me it sounds like they are changing the rules on the fly to avoid mass loss of income.

No - that contract does not state anything about voluntary changes vs. necessary ones. Carnival can't change their contract.

I have been married to an attorney long enough to know that they will word it like you can only make a change and get a credit but if you push the issue and ask about this - they will likely back off and give you the refund. If the agent is not willing to give a refund, then ask for a supervisor.

I agree with you, they are just hoping that most of the cruisers dont know they should be able to get a refund. If I would want to cancel because of this current issues I would say give me my money NOW.

I agree with you, they are just hoping that most of the cruisers dont know they should be able to get a refund. If I would want to cancel because of this current issues I would say give me my money NOW.

Exactly - by the argument that this isn't voluntary the following would be true:

I don't have trip insurance:

My grandma dies and I can't go on the cruise b/c I am going to her funeral. It wasn't voluntary that she died so I should get a full refund.

I break my leg and am in traction the week of my cruise - I didn't voluntarily break my leg so I should be able to cancel with no penalty.

I lost my job the week before my cruise and can't go b/c I need to find a new job and can no longer afford any extras or even the tips. I didn't voluntarily lose my job so I should get a refund.

Could you imagine if you could break any contract b/c it wasn't voluntary on your part!?!?!

The OP also has the option of invoking the vacation guarantee as well - correct? I guess you would have to endure San Fran but then tell them you want off in Victoria. They would have to fly you home and you would get half you fare back. Just a thought.

I am so sorry and understand if you are disappointed. However, you cruise contract does say itinerary can be changed for any reason. You have no other recourse, Carnival was not even obligated to give you a credit for a future cruise.

BTW, I live in the Northwest and would be somewhat disappointed, but do LOVE both SF and Seattle and I would just go for it. Both cities have alot to offer, just not maybe a lot of sunshine LOL

I would suggest that you don't completely despair until Carnival decides what they're doing with sailings after May 4. I'm sure that people will be notified via their travel agents at that time. Now is NOT the time to panic regarding this. Give it a couple of days and see what Carnival has to say about it. In the meantime, go wash your hands and hope like heck that this outbreak chills out.

I would suggest that you don't completely despair until Carnival decides what they're doing with sailings after May 4. I'm sure that people will be notified via their travel agents at that time. Now is NOT the time to panic regarding this. Give it a couple of days and see what Carnival has to say about it. In the meantime, go wash your hands and hope like heck that this outbreak chills out.

When should they go in panic mode?

The cruise company's first priority is the safety of the passengers and the vessel. They've made the decision to avoid Mexico on the advice of the CDC to avoid unnecessary travel.

Go on your cruise and have a great time. Grousing about it isn't going to help and will sour your whole experience.

I don't blame him at all. And I doubt you would have that attitude if your cruise,lets say departed from Boston going to Bermuda ended up going to Atlantic city for 3 days would you?

Thats the OPs back yard.Just like I would not want to cruise from Ft.Lauderdale,and end up going to Miami and Cape Canaveral.

Steve

When should they go in panic mode?

I would imagine that it's okay to freak out once a person has information that actually pertains to the sailing on which they are booked. Anything before that is premature. Example: my cruise is in July. I am NOT freaking out about any of this because Carnival has not, as yet, made any announcements regarding anything at all beyond their May 4 sailings. *shrug* Just seems a bit fruitless to panic over something that could possibly wind up being a non-issue entirely.

I am sorry this happen to you but this is why most cruisers, including myself, tells everyone why it is a good idea to buy trip cancellation insurance "BUT" pay a little extra and get the insurance that allows you to cancel for any reason. If you read the fine print you will see in your documents that ports-of-calls and itineraries can be cancelled at any time for any reason. People leaving out of New Orleans on a 4 day cruise has had their cruise cancelled all together. Now that is what I call something to complaint about.

We are sailing on the Splendor May 31st. I know they have not announced the change yet but I am sure that they will go north. I really wanted warm weather but I would enjoy the ship. My concern is that I have heard that when the ship goes north the seas are rough. Can anyone give me information about this?

Cindy

I am booked on may 10 splendor which will go to san francisco and seattle...i don't want to go there!

Carnival says i can't get my money back!

I will get a credit for a future cruise?

If i cancel i have to pay 50% penalty!

Is this right that carnival can keep my money after they completely change my crusie?

Any suggestions as to what i can do???

Cancel your cruise and fly directly to Cabo. If that's were you want to go, that's what you should do. If you want a cruise, you should book on a ship.

BTW, there are many refund options out there.

April 29, 2009

Dear Carnival Guest:

We will cancel and replace the scheduled Mexican Riviera itinerary with visits to San

Francisco, Victoria and Seattle on the Carnival Splendor May 3, 2009 departure. Guests that

sail on this cruise will receive a $75 per person onboard credit.

We know you will enjoy your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Splendor. However, if this

itinerary change is not acceptable to you we ask that you contact as soon as possible. We

will provide a future cruise credit in the amount you paid for this cruise and you can sail with

us anytime prior to December 31, 2010. Please understand that refunds will not be

provided.

Most importantly, we are looking forward to welcoming you aboard the Carnival Splendor.

The Captain, officers, staff and crew are dedicated to providing you with a fun and

memorable vacation.

Best Regards,

Lynn C. Torrent

Senior Vice President of Sales and Guest Services

Carnival Cruise Lines

We are sailing on the Splendor May 31st. I know they have not announced the change yet but I am sure that they will go north. I really wanted warm weather but I would enjoy the ship. My concern is that I have heard that when the ship goes north the seas are rough. Can anyone give me information about this?

Cindy

Cindy,

We're on the 5/31 with you. I agree that I would much rather go south, but SF is great, never been to Seattle and I hear Victoria is one of the most beautiful cities you can visit.

I, too, am a little worried about rough seas heading north, but I'll start taking dramamine a good 3-4 days before the cruise and right through the end of it.

By the way, since the Splendor has the option to close the glass enclosure over the pool, they can pump in the heat and make it feel tropical. Either way, we'll have a great time.

The funny thing is I've never been accused of being an optimist, but I am on these boards. I'm just looking for 7 days of fun and relaxation, so I can go north, south, east, west... whatever. It must be the meds or something.

Tony

April 29, 2009

Dear Carnival Guest:

We will cancel and replace the scheduled Mexican Riviera itinerary with visits to San

Francisco, Victoria and Seattle on the Carnival Splendor May 3, 2009 departure. Guests that

We know you will enjoy your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Splendor. However, if this

itinerary change is not acceptable to you we ask that you contact as soon as possible. We

will provide a future cruise credit in the amount you paid for this cruise and you can sail with

us anytime prior to December 31, 2010. Please understand that refunds will not be

provided.

Most importantly, we are looking forward to welcoming you aboard the Carnival Splendor.

The Captain, officers, staff and crew are dedicated to providing you with a fun and

memorable vacation.

Best Regards,

Lynn C. Torrent

Carnival Cruise Lines

You have 24hrs upon notifiction to cancel your cruise without penalty. Its in there own policies. Tell them you are cancelling and what your refund. They will try to push you saying only future credits on a another cruise, but with the above quotes and link clearly show they are adding the future cruise credit language to save money because they know TONS of ppl will want their money back. They hope you dont know about the rule and will just roll with the punches. Push them on the issue, show them on their own website, and ask for a supervisor. If they refuse to honor their own policies, you have other ways to get your money back.

Carnival Voluntary changed the ports. No one said they couldn't go to Mexico. They chose not to, hence making it voluntary. However, no where in their stated policy does it state voluntary. Sounds like they are trying to go around their own policy be only issuing credits and not refunds. What is the difference between the extended 4-5 day cruise compared compared to non extended cruises?? Why do the extended cruises get refunds and the non extended cruises get credit for future cruises?? To me it sounds like they are changing the rules on the fly to avoid mass loss of income.

Why do I have a feeling you would be the first to sue Carnival if you came down with the flu? There seems to be quite a bit of panic on this board and there is too much blame being put on Carnival. Give them a break...let them make the adjustments for port changes (not an easy task) and CAREFULLY read their press releases. I'm on the Splendor on the 7th of June. If, when Carnival feels a need to change ports for that cruise, I will decide if I want to do that cruise or cancel and take another in the future.

The earth will continue rotating...trust me. One person has died from this strain of flu in the US and that victim was a Mexican child visiting the US. Don't get your panties in a bunch about this or you'll die of a cardiac or some stress related condition.

By the way, I spoke with my PVP yesterday about options and offers. Try to remember that these people (PVPs, customer service reps... Brad, the CD, on Splendor) are having it just as bad or worse than all of us. He was totally cool, and I thanked him for his efforts.

Having worked for large organizations where something has gone wrong or a large geo-political event has affected customers, the employees of Carnival are probably just as frustrated and wish they had answers to give or could offer you refunds themselves. There is not some great collusion on the part of the front-line people that are taking the calls, feeling the heat, trying to console, explain options, etc.

While I know and understand how frustrating this is for everyone, let's try not to take it out on the Carnival employees that really would like to help and are probably wishing they could call in sick for the next week or two to avoid all the &*&* they are dealing with right now.

April 29, 2009

Dear Carnival Guest:

provided.

memorable vacation.

Best Regards,

Lynn C. Torrent

Carnival Cruise Lines

oK.... so.... you don't want to go on this particular cruise... you call Carnival and cancel and you get the full credit to go on the cruise you want to go on. I'm missing what the problem is. :confused:

I feel for you man......they changed our itinerary to these ports also....

I would not go on this itinerary.......guess I made the right choice.....

Hi Kurbanfan, we changed our cruise as well. Where are you cruising to? We decided to rebook for next year, May/2010. I hated the thought of sailing up north. I felt that I would be punished on this vacation. It's just sounds miserable.

Why do I have a feeling you would be the first to sue Carnival if you came down with the flu? There seems to be quite a bit of panic on this board and there is too much blame being put on Carnival. Give them a break...let them make the adjustments for port changes (not an easy task) and CAREFULLY read their press releases. I'm on the Splendor on the 7th of June. If, when Carnival feels a need to change ports for that cruise, I will decide if I want to do that cruise or cancel and take another in the future.

The earth will continue rotating...trust me. One person has died from this strain of flu in the US and that victim was a Mexican child visiting the US. Don't get your panties in a bunch about this or you'll die of a cardiac or some stress related condition.

Well, why would I sue, Carnival did nothing wrong. You apparently a poor judge of character. Carnival expects you to honor their ticket contract and policies. Shouldn't we expect Carnival to honor them also??? Hey I found your pom poms :D.

oK.... so.... you don't want to go on this particular cruise... you call Carnival and cancel and you get the full credit to go on the cruise you want to go on. I'm missing what the problem is. :confused:

He can't cancel and get full credit...... so far only for those that sail on May 3rd........his is May 10th...

He can't make any plans until they announce what will happen with his cruise.......Carnival is just stringing people along......they know they won't be sailing to the Mexican Riviera on May 10th....

Hommebronze if it were me I would just look for a comparable cruise and make plans to get the credit and reschedule.....at least work on different vacation days now.......

Good luck!

Hi Kurbanfan, we changed our cruise as well. Where are you cruising to? We decided to rebook for next year, May/2010. I hated the thought of sailing up north. I felt that I would be punished on this vacation. It's just sounds miserable.

No way in heck was I going for that itinerary lol! You can do this repo cruise for $199p/p lol! Well our group decided for the full refund and re book to the Caribbean......but now I just received word everyone wants to reschedule the Mariner for Aug.......

So at this point I am being bounced back and forth lol! Still working on it:)

But at least we have the option and won't be penalized........it could have been worse......we could have been on this weeks cruise:(

He can't cancel and get full credit...... so far only for those that sail on May 3rd........his is May 10th...

He can't make any plans until they announce what will happen with his cruise.......Carnival is just stringing people along......they know they won't be sailing to the Mexican Riviera on May 10th....

Hommebronze if it were me I would just look for a comparable cruise and make plans to get the credit and reschedule.....at least work on different vacation days now.......

Good luck!

Ah, I see. I thought the communication he posted was pertaining to his cruise. This is starting to remind me of when people wanted to know if their cruise was leaving from Galveston after Ike and Carnival waited til the last minute to let them know of the changes. Even though it was so obvious that a ship could not leave from there. :(

I would be proactive and be doing the research for a new cruise right now, also.

Archived