San francisco is not cabo...i dont want to go there!!!

hommebronze

I am booked on may 10 splendor which will go to san francisco and seattle...i don't want to go there!

Carnival says i can't get my money back!

I will get a credit for a future cruise?

If i cancel i have to pay 50% penalty!

Is this right that carvial can keep my money after they completely change my crusie?

Any suggestions as to what i can do???

I am booked on may 10 splendor which will go to san francisco and seattle...i don't want to go there!

Is this right that carvial can keep my money after they completely change my crusie?

They won't give refunds:confused:

This is from their website.

If you are currently booked on one of the above cruises and elect not to sail on the revised itinerary, you can request a future cruise credit to use on a sailing departing prior to December 31, 2010 at a later date. Call 1-888-CARNIVAL for more information.

So it sounds like you cancel and not loose anything.

BTW: The Splendor is not scheduled to do the revised iten. for the May 10, 2009 sailing. It is still scheduled to do PV, Maz, and Cabo.

Call Carnival and ask what your options are. This current situation is so different than anything from the past, only they can truly tell you what your options are. Most of us on the message board can only guess and assume. :rolleyes:

I didn't think they had announced the plans for cruises after May 4th. If they do sail the pacific northwest, you can opt out and get a credit worth the full amount you paid for a future cruise. I have also been hearing rumors that they are offering nice incentives if you do choose the alternate itinerary.

Guests who do not wish to sail on a modified itinerary may opt to receive a refund in the form of a future cruise credit equal to the full amount paid for the voyage. The credit may be applied to an alternate sailing departing through the end of 2010. Compensation for missed ports/altered itineraries (where applicable) for guests who sail varies by itinerary.

With four and five-day cruises from Galveston and New Orleans that are being converted to seven-day voyages, those guests may opt to receive their refund in the form of a future cruise credit or money back.

For cruises departing after May 4, an update will be provided in the near future. Guests are encouraged to check carnival.com periodically for further updates.

*AND WHY DO YOU THINK CARNIVAL WILL GO TO MEXICO MAY 1O WHEN RCCL IS AVOIDING MEXICAN PORTS UNTIL MID JUNE....

Guests who do not wish to sail on a modified itinerary may opt to receive a refund in the form of a future cruise credit equal to the full amount paid for the voyage. The credit may be applied to an alternate sailing departing through the end of 2010. Compensation for missed ports/altered itineraries (where applicable) for guests who sail varies by itinerary.

With four and five-day cruises from Galveston and New Orleans that are being converted to seven-day voyages, those guests may opt to receive their refund in the form of a future cruise credit or money back.

For cruises departing after May 4, an update will be provided in the near future. Guests are encouraged to check carnival.com periodically for further updates.

*AND WHY DO YOU THINK CARNIVAL WILL GO TO MEXICO MAY 1O WHEN RCCL IS AVOIDING MEXICAN PORTS UNTIL MID JUNE....

Because this is a very fluid situation and decisions are being made daily. I'm sure Carnival doesn't really give a hoot what RCCL does in regard to Mexico. They will do what is in their (and their passengers) best interest.

Sorry, but I'm afraid you need to read your contract with Carnival. They have reserved the right to change ports if necessary. You, of course, have the right, to spend your vacation dollars (in the future), however you wish.

Sorry, but I'm afraid you need to read your contract with Carnival. They have reserved the right to change ports if necessary. You, of course, have the right, to spend your vacation dollars (in the future), however you wish.

Hey Darrell :)

I called Carnival today. I am set for May 3 on the Splendor. The agent said they have only made itinerary changes for ships sailing up till May 4. They are working as fast as they can to get the info out. No info yet on sail dates past May 4. I can only imagine that Carnival has to find ports that can handle a new ship the size of Splendor and also work out the logistics of getting their ships into the alternative ports.

If you try to cancel before they present the alternative ports, you lose all your money. Once they have the ports set and you still do not want to do the cruise, they will provide the options that are available.

The only way you would get a full refund is if they cancelled the cruise completely. As per their ticket contract, they can and do change itineraries at any time, for any reason, without notice.

The reason you would pay a penalty is because that's what the cancellation policy says...and the closer to the cruise the higher the penalty.

The cruise company's first priority is the safety of the passengers and the vessel. They've made the decision to avoid Mexico on the advice of the CDC to avoid unnecessary travel.

Go on your cruise and have a great time. Grousing about it isn't going to help and will sour your whole experience.

Of all the changes I saw - the only one that would not be acceptable to me was this one. I would not have minded a cruise to nowhere but to be switched from a warm cruise to a cool weather cruise is a HUGE difference. If I were cruising now it would be to escape the unpredictable spring weather and I would not want to go to the Northwest.

Will they let you switch to another cruise that is going to the Caribbean this week? I know it would be another port but maybe they would help you with an onboard credit to pay for the airfare.

Nature sometimes decides to remind us in no uncertain terms that the best laid plans of mice and men......

It is awful and you really do have my sympathy, but not as much as you would have if you ended up on a ship with a few people spreading around swine flu and then being put into quarentine in port for an unknown period of time.

The only way you would get a full refund is if they cancelled the cruise completely. As per their ticket contract' date=' they can and do change itineraries at any time, for any reason, without notice.

The reason you would pay a penalty is because that's what the cancellation policy says...and the closer to the cruise the higher the penalty.

The cruise company's first priority is the safety of the passengers and the vessel. They've made the decision to avoid Mexico on the advice of the CDC to avoid unnecessary travel.

Go on your cruise and have a great time. Grousing about it isn't going to help and will sour your whole experience.[/quote']

Then what does this mean on Carnivals own website

Quote and link: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Port_Cancellation_Policy.aspx

If Carnival Cruise Lines ("Carnival") has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary, it will promptly -- upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct booking ("the Notice"). The Notice shall offer guests an opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty within 24 hours of the delivery of the Notice. Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled booking or substituted port. In the event a guest does not cancel his or her cruise on a timely basis, no additional compensation for the itinerary change will be offered to the guest at a later time.

In the event the itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival shall attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the itinerary change to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. No compensation shall be provided to guests when an alternative port is offered.

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account.

Nothing herein shall affect the guest's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.

I know it is not the fault of the cruiseline but I would not want to go north when I booked to go south. I have been to SF many times and have no interest in cruising there. I would opt for the credit on a future cruise.

Then what does this mean on Carnivals own website

Quote and link: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Port_Cancellation_Policy.aspx

If Carnival Cruise Lines ("Carnival") has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary, it will promptly -- upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct booking ("the Notice"). The Notice shall offer guests an opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty within 24 hours of the delivery of the Notice. Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled booking or substituted port. In the event a guest does not cancel his or her cruise on a timely basis, no additional compensation for the itinerary change will be offered to the guest at a later time.

In the event the itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival shall attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the itinerary change to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. No compensation shall be provided to guests when an alternative port is offered.

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account.

Nothing herein shall affect the guest's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.

This is for voluntary deviations. This incident is NOT a voluntary change. Here, from Carnival's website:

STATEMENT REGARDING SWINE INFLUENZA

Miami - April 29, 2009 7:00PM

Carnival Cruise Lines has canceled port of call visits to Mexico for 11 of its ships that are currently operating voyages and had scheduled stops in Mexico.

Additionally, for the 15 ships departing between Thursday, April 30 and Monday, May 4 with itineraries including calls in Mexican ports, those schedules have been modified. In many instances, the modification simply involved substituting an alternate port. Click here to see the details on the modified itineraries.

This is for voluntary deviations. This incident is NOT a voluntary change. Here' date=' from Carnival's website:

[b']STATEMENT REGARDING SWINE INFLUENZA[/b]

Miami - April 29, 2009 7:00PM

Carnival Cruise Lines has canceled port of call visits to Mexico for 11 of its ships that are currently operating voyages and had scheduled stops in Mexico.

Additionally, for the 15 ships departing between Thursday, April 30 and Monday, May 4 with itineraries including calls in Mexican ports, those schedules have been modified. In many instances, the modification simply involved substituting an alternate port. Click here to see the details on the modified itineraries.

No - that contract does not state anything about voluntary changes vs. necessary ones. Carnival can't change their contract.

I have been married to an attorney long enough to know that they will word it like you can only make a change and get a credit but if you push the issue and ask about this - they will likely back off and give you the refund. If the agent is not willing to give a refund, then ask for a supervisor.

Archived