What to do in Nassau....leave in 4 days!!

How long are you in Nassau?

There's the Atlantis resort and Cabbage Beach/Cable Beach (I think that's the names). Last time we were there, we enjoyed watching the marching Flamingos at the Ardastra gardens. There's a straw market near the pier, horse and buggy rides/tours, and various other island tours.

You can probably get some better answers from the Bahamas board in the Ports Of Call section as well.

Straw market is very very crowded with narrow aisles packed with people.

With our limited time, my GF and I just wandered around town. Went to FT Fincastle and other close by touristy spots.

Nice to just get away from other passengers and do our own thing. Best part it didn't cost anything other than Lunch at Senor Frogs

We were there in January and it was the one stop on our cruise that I was really not looking forward to. It ended up being my favorite. The city of Nassau was very crowded and dirty with a lot of solicitors bothering you with every step you take. We did the excursion to Blue Lagoon Island. It was so much fun. We did the dolphin swim and it was a great experience. After that we got to use their island/beach for the day. You can do this for a smaller cost if you don't want to do the dolphin swim. The beach was so nice, hammocks everywhere, very nice employees, a snack bar, and a game area. I want to go back so badly. We talked to a lot of people that went to Atlantis and did not like it at all. Very crowded and expensive. I guess it depends what kind of day you're looking to have. We preferred this beach because it is on their private island and there are no solicitors bothering you while you relax on the beach. Have fun whatever you do!

If you're interested in an all-inclusive resort, we went to Breezes and had a great day.

Yup I also went to breezes, booked directly with them. It was a great day. I'm on the Valor this July hopefully everything gets settled by then

Go to Paradise Beach. Same beach that Atlantis uses and it's all free. Take the water taxi over and it's a sort walk to the beach past Atlantis. Services are limited there though, but there are chairs available and vendors on the beach selling food. Beautiful beach with waves. :)

We were there in January and it was the one stop on our cruise that I was really not looking forward to. It ended up being my favorite. The city of Nassau was very crowded and dirty with a lot of solicitors bothering you with every step you take. We did the excursion to Blue Lagoon Island. It was so much fun. We did the dolphin swim and it was a great experience. After that we got to use their island/beach for the day. You can do this for a smaller cost if you don't want to do the dolphin swim. The beach was so nice, hammocks everywhere, very nice employees, a snack bar, and a game area. I want to go back so badly. We talked to a lot of people that went to Atlantis and did not like it at all. Very crowded and expensive. I guess it depends what kind of day you're looking to have. We preferred this beach because it is on their private island and there are no solicitors bothering you while you relax on the beach. Have fun whatever you do!

Did you book the dolphin swim through carnival? We are planning on doing the dolphin swim at Atlantis, but its pretty expensive, would rather do something cheaper and the island sounds good.

We did the Stingrays last year and had a blast. They limit the number of people so it's not very crowded. They aren't in open water like GC though but the enclosure is about half a football field in size. The snorkeling outside of the enclosure was pretty good too.

Nassau is a great stop.

I can't wait to get back for a 4th time in September.....

Many people just go the one block to Bay St. (overcrowded shopping) or the Straw Market and get a bad taste and never really experience anything in Nassau. (or they go to Plastic-land (Atlantis) and totally miss the true Bahamian things in Nassau.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=332656

Here is a great thread about a walking tour (that we have done twice now) that takes you to many sites, all within a short walk (less than 2 hours) from the pier.

(The Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle at the top of the staircase are not to be missed)

http://www.ardastra.com/index.html

Ardastra Gardens and zoo is a small zoo, but a fun few hours, close to the pier.

http://www.graycliff.com/index.php?Itemid=1

The Graycliff Hotel has a nice Cigar factory if anybody in your group enjoys an occasional cigar on vacation. (fun to watch them rioll them)

Many hotels here offer inexpensive daypasses to use their facilities. (unlike most ports)

Whatever you do, just go to the Bahamas board and look for answers from Scubagirl, the resident (Literally) expert on Nassau.

You can get everything you need in one good night research from there.

Just get away from the pier and enjoy the city.

(and I don't mean over at Atlantis. Hate that fake vegasy monstrosity)

Bill

We were in Nassau Saturday and had a great time. We walked to the bus stop in front of McDonald's and hopped on the #10 for $1.25 per person. Had them drop us at Breezes. Walked up to the desk, asked for 2 day passes, handed her the coupon we got in the map in the port area and were set for the day. It was 55 bucks each and included all the amenities, alcohol, and food. Had conch fritters, jerk chicken, burgers, fries and fish and chips at the pool grill. food was great. Drinks were awesome. You can tell them to make it as strong as you want. Nice beach area as well as pool. Temporary straw market is within walking distance. Not as large or crowded as the regular one. Got a Dolce and Gabbana knock off for 40 bucks after haggling. Very pleasant day!

Hi- We were also in Nassau on Saturday- went to the Wyndham/Sheraton Cable Beach Resort- bought day passes for $40- which included a very good buffet lunch at the Wyndham. We then went to the Sheraton beach and pool area- got some towels and enjoyed this fine beach resort. (We took a van from the pier for only $5 pp.)

to Campandcruise:

Did you say McDonalds? As in the golden arches? We have an autistic son and lives on their fries. It would be great to get them for him on vacation. He doesn't eat the ships food. We have to bring stuff for him. He eats alot of goldfish and cereal on our cruises. Last year we had to restock in Bermuda. $5 for Oreos!

to Campandcruise:

Did you say McDonalds? As in the golden arches? We have an autistic son and lives on their fries. It would be great to get them for him on vacation. He doesn't eat the ships food. We have to bring stuff for him. He eats alot of goldfish and cereal on our cruises. Last year we had to restock in Bermuda. $5 for Oreos!

I have a friend who researches where the McDonalds are because her autistic son is also a Mc Donalds fries fiend.

I was watching cnn one night and they were talking about how Autistic children LOVE McDonald's fries, which I thought was really strange. But, it seems that there is something in the ingredients that is reacting with the chemical balance in the child.

I can tell you that my friends son does not get McDonalds as often as he used to, and he is much better and a high functioning 5th grader now. When younger he would not do anything except eat fries and play with his dinosaurs, now he will read, hold conversations, swim, computer, and can do his own projects for school, something that would not have been possible 2 years ago.

The ship we were on had a jumper. We were supposed to be in Nassau on a Saturday and I did research in advance. I was not expecting anything wonderful. It doesn't look like there is all much to do. I was not interested in going to Atlantis as it is just another water park although I here the aquarium is nice. We were planning on doing the walking tour on our own to see "Queens staircase" and the old fort at the top of the stairs.

Since on our cruise...it was just a 3 dayer...we spent most of Saturday searching for the "jumper" We ended up at Nassaur on Sunday so maybe it made a difference. It appeared that the town was shut down. We walked around a little but I got sort of creeped out and just wanted to get back to the ship. The only way I would book something going that way would be if it included Cuba.

to Campandcruise:

Yep, one and the same. It is a very short walk from the terminal. My DH thinks the fries on the ship taste just like McDonalds. Could you get your local McDonalds to give you a few of the sleeves they put them in? He may eat them on the ship if they are in the right container? Hope that helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=332656

Here is a great thread about a walking tour (that we have done twice now) that takes you to many sites, all within a short walk (less than 2 hours) from the pier.

(The Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle at the top of the staircase are not to be missed)

AOL pictures went bye bye.

You can see the tour here:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/nassau_walking_apr_2006.htm

It's great and it's FREE!

Archived