When to get a suite?

Obviously the answer is whenever you can afford it. :)

I wanted to know when other people have gotten suites. Is it because you have a larger party and all want to stay together? Is it the perks? What did you like? Will you do it again?

Thanks!

We got a junior suite for our upcoming Serenade cruise because we wanted a particular one - aft corner - because of its larger balcony space. We figured we'd be spending more time out there because this is an Alaska cruise.

Then, when the other aft corner on that deck - a Grand Suite - became available for the same price our JS had been when we originally booked, we figured "what the heck?" and grabbed it so we'd have more space for the three of us (and Wrona's shoes). We're definitely not doing it for the perks. It's just a case of the price being right.

Ask me in about five weeks if I'd do it again! :D But my answer will probably be - it was great, but I'd rather spend less on a cabin and cruise more often.....

BTW, until you get up into the really big ones, suites don't hold more than 4 people....

It depends on different things. In March we were on a 16 day cruise on Radiance and we booked an OS because of the length of the cruise. In May we are going on a 7 day cruise on Liberty and we booked a GS. We like having the additional room.

We book JS's because I want a tub! (And, the extra space is SOOOOO worth it!)

I don't mind a "hotel" sized room, but those "closets" that are regular cabins are just too cramped and small for me. When I'm on vacation, I want to be at least as comfy as at home---if not more so! On most ships, "more so" isn't really an option, so I go with the next best thing. There aren't really any "perks" with this suite, except for space and comfort!

I have only been on 5 cruises and 4 of them have been in suites. I am one that does not skimp on vacation. My family and I (there are only three of us) work hard all year so we reward ourselves with nice vacations and great accommodations. Usually 4 and 5 star resorts and luxury accommodations at Disney etc. Suites on difference cruise lines offer many different services.

Royal Caribbean: You don't get any extras. No Butler.....I understand you do get concierge but I have never used their services. We like the extra space.

Celebrity: A suite is extra special. You get a Butler and concierge service. The Butler serves you breakfast in your room (we had a dinning area) so this was very nice. He delivered afternoon tea, coffee and snacks. It was awesome.

NCL: Pretty much like Celebrity, but we did not eat in our room. We really did not use the Butler services. He would fill our refrigerator with complementary bottled water and sodas everyday. We did get two complementary bottles of wine brought to our room (you could have got 2 bottles of booze). Concierge was great because she scheduled all our dinning reservations. Since NCL is freestyle dinning, it can be a pain trying to get into a certain restaurant. Thus, the concierge handled it all as well as she booked all our shore excursions.

Carnival: No extras. Just a nice room.

If you save up, you can usually splurge for a suite. We like the extra room. We just wish RCL would add more perks for the suite level customers.

I wanted to know when other people have gotten suites. Is it because you have a larger party and all want to stay together? Is it the perks? What did you like? Will you do it again?

Thanks!

We like the extra room and it gives us each a place to go if one of us are awake while the other is asleep. We had a regular cabin the first time and just made the decision then that if we cruised again it would be in a suite.

We have stayed in a Grand Suite twice, a Jr. Suite twice and a small balcony on your last cruise (only because this was a second cruise for us the same year). We have a Jr. Suite booked for our February 2010. First with a suite you get two cruise credits instead of one. In a GS you get use of the concierge lounge. And, second a suite allows you more room to move around. Around plus is you have a full size bath tub.

My first grand is coming up. There was a special, and, at the time, the cost of a GS was the same as a D1 balcony. (The latter has since gone down.)

We just decided to get one on our Allure cruise just because it's probably going to be our only time on an Oasis class ship and we thought the CL, the priority boarding and departure might be nice with so many people on board. It's a real treat for us. DH will be on the same deck as the lounge and can pop in for his specialty coffee at any time. He was pretty happy about that. He may be so full of caffeine that he won't sleep the entire cruise.

Maxyield: Perfect descriptions of the different cruiseline suites & what they offer. Haven't sailed RCL in years so the OS we have starting May 9 on LOS will be our first RCL suite....can't wait to see it!! Celebrity suites, with the butler, are very special; however, lately the Royal Suites (the bedrooms have a separate wall & door, no curtain, & are true suites) have gone so far up in price we thought we'd try the OS on RCL as there was a pretty nice price difference. I think we can live w/o the butler but it may be hard (sarcasm here lol altho it is a very nice experience).

Why we now only book suites: the very large room, beautiful bathroom with a shower & most suites this size a separate tub, which is my preference, usually 2 sinks, better amenities, large balcony which we love (usually with loungers), dining table in living room & on balcony to enjoy our coffee & breakfasts. The new RCL suite perks sound pretty nice altho I think I would be somewhat embarrassed about saved seats at pool & shows; may not take advantage of those particular perks; however, we don't use the pool until about 4 or 5 anyway & we're not real show enthusiasts (we tend to be bar & lounge enthusiasts... HEHE). I do, tho, really like the priority embarking; another reason we book suites. We don't cruise as much now that we're into suites but that's ok as when we do get to cruise its a very special time! Can't wait!!!

We can't get away as often as we'd like so when we do it's VIP for us. We have throughly enjoyed NCL suites, from what I have read they are probably the best for mid market range. The larger room, full tubs and seperate shower with quad heads are so relaxing. We love to give parties so the extra space and large decks are a plus.

We will be on RCL FOS in a GS in Nov. and am looking forward to the comparison. I was a little disappointed in finding out there are no Butlers and that you can't order different things from each of the restaurants for room service. It will still be a great experience to try another cruise line and we are really looking foreward to trying RCL!:)

The only time I've ever been able to afford a suite (waaah) was a Junior Suite on the Grand Princess. We got the suite because I was sailing with two friends and certainly couldn't afford the 200% markup for my own cabin.

It was a great deal because the room was fine for the three of us, I had my first (and only) balcony, and my rate was quite a bit cheaper than theirs. They let me pay the 3rd passenger price (as opposed to us splitting it evenly) because I was stuck on the (perfectly comfortable) sofabed. :)

If anyone reading this wants to let me tag along in their suite, I'm available!

We have stayed in a Grand Suite twice, a Jr. Suite twice and a small balcony on your last cruise (only because this was a second cruise for us the same year). We have a Jr. Suite booked for our February 2010. First with a suite you get two cruise credits instead of one. In a GS you get use of the concierge lounge. And, second a suite allows you more room to move around. Around plus is you have a full size bath tub.

lady_cruiser, your animated shark thingy is very cool! Where/how did you get it? I have animation envy :)

p.s. Sorry it's off-topic

Thanks!

DH & I cruise only once per 1.5 years and when we do, we book suites. We enjoy the extra room, enormous closet space, huge bathroom, tremendous balcony, etc.

There's only one problem, once you go "suite", you can never go back to a standard cabin....even if it has a balcony.

DH & I enjoy the lvining room area, and dine for breakfast daily in the room, in our dining area or out on deck.

We're booked on the Oasis of the Seas, in an owner's suite, 1/2/10 sailing, we can't wait!!!!!

Our upcoming cruise will be our first suite, Jr, that is. We decided to book it for a few reasons. First is that the only balconys on the Monarch are in the suites and now that hubby is into cruising we HAVE to have a balcony.. The other reason is that with the extra credit, it will make us Platinum. Then ifall goes well, our next cruise will be an Alaskan one and we hope thatby then RCCL is still offering balcony discounts for Platinum C&A members.

Erika

I have only been on 5 cruises and 4 of them have been in suites. I am one that does not skimp on vacation. My family and I (there are only three of us) work hard all year so we reward ourselves with nice vacations and great accommodations. Usually 4 and 5 star resorts and luxury accommodations at Disney etc. Suites on difference cruise lines offer many different services.

Royal Caribbean: You don't get any extras. No Butler.....I understand you do get concierge but I have never used their services. We like the extra space.

Celebrity: A suite is extra special. You get a Butler and concierge service. The Butler serves you breakfast in your room (we had a dinning area) so this was very nice. He delivered afternoon tea, coffee and snacks. It was awesome.

NCL: Pretty much like Celebrity, but we did not eat in our room. We really did not use the Butler services. He would fill our refrigerator with complementary bottled water and sodas everyday. We did get two complementary bottles of wine brought to our room (you could have got 2 bottles of booze). Concierge was great because she scheduled all our dinning reservations. Since NCL is freestyle dinning, it can be a pain trying to get into a certain restaurant. Thus, the concierge handled it all as well as she booked all our shore excursions.

Carnival: No extras. Just a nice room.

If you save up, you can usually splurge for a suite. We like the extra room. We just wish RCL would add more perks for the suite level customers.

We just got off of the Jewel of the Seas last month and we had an OS. We did have Breakfast delivered to our room (anything from the main dinning room that you want). They call you before hand and ask if it is okay to bring it up. They then put a table cloth on the table and set it very formal with bread plates salt and pepper shakers ect...

The extra space in the room is extremly nice, along with the jacuzi tubs and seperate showers, & double sinks.

Concierge is nice, free drinks and appitizers, but this is now changing to suite and Diamond cruiser only very shortly.

Bottom line if you have the money to spend it is well worth it! We only go the Suite route, I myself can't imagin being in a SMALL stateroom.

Archived