Using skype onboard

seafare

We are doing a back to back 3 Nov. - 25 Nov. on Insignia. I recently installed Skype on our new "itsy, bitsy 10" Netbook", has anyone used Skype onboard ship? Any problems or hints that you can give me as I am technologically challenged :) Thank you for any and all of your help.

Jill

Sometimes the connection can be slow so it may cost you a lot more than you plan. At 95 cent a minute unless you have a big package deal.

I would stick to email on the ship.

You might find some internet hotspots on shore where you can use Skype at a better rate.

We are doing a back to back 3 Nov. - 25 Nov. on Insignia. I recently installed Skype on our new "itsy, bitsy 10" Netbook", has anyone used Skype onboard ship? Any problems or hints that you can give me as I am technologically challenged :) Thank you for any and all of your help.

Sorry Jill, Skype is disabled "at the base" on Oceania ships.

Skype uses an inordinate amount of bandwidth you see, and it would slow down the internet service aboard to an even slower pace, if they allowed it.

In port, of course, it's a catch as catch can deal.

LHT28 & StanandJim,

Thank you for your quick responses. I'll just have to use it when available in ports. I have it primarily for our stay in Germany after the cruise and land based travel, but I wasn't sure about using it on the Ship.

Jill

• 4 months later...

Archived