All of Solstice Europe 2010 is gone

CLEMM

Actually I would imagine not allowing smoking on balconies & cabins would encourage more people to book Celebrity and not the other way round. Smokers in Europe are used to not smoking in public places and are in the minority.

And the other reason I'm posting... my TA called this morning. They say they have spoken to Celebrity Admin in the UK who went off the phone to check with Celebrity UK reservations (allegedly... my TA doesn't believe the girl did check for her) and apparently nothing has changed :rolleyes: My TA has noted that I am happy to switch to the Equinox and that I want to keep my existing cabins but can't do anything else until Celebrity send them official notification.

How on earth can Celebrity UK NOT know :confused:

Celebrity please note... don't you think you should tell your staff the changes?

It's a good job I can find out all I need to know on here... although it wouldn't be difficult to work out as Celebrities US site clearly shows Solstice in the Caribbean and Equinox in the Med in 2010 and I've seen several press releases.

We booked in late March for the Solstice 11 day cruise out of Rome on May 24, 2010. I got a phone message yesterday from our TA that the ship would be the Equinox rather than the Solstice. I returned the call last night to make sure nothing else was changed - cabin, price, itinerary, date, etc. Turned out that the only change was that it was $2 cheaper. OK, fine. $2 cheaper for an even newer ship that's identical to Solstice (which I've been looking forward to ever since I saw the pictures of it). Same cabin, ports, date. I can handle that. No problem.:)

We just returned from Solstice 19 April Transatlantic -- Great cruise/great ship. While on board we received an e-mail to contact RCCL by the 4th of May because there was an itinerary change. We went to the on-board booking agent to find out what was going on.

Evidently, once Solstice returns from Europe on their 30 November 2009 TA (we're booked on that also), she will remain in the Caribbean for the entire year of 2010.

All of the Mediterranean Equinox 2010 itineraries have been cancelled. We had been booked on the 6 June Venice to Barcelona. Equinox will be taking on all of Solstice's 2010 itineraries. We rebooked on Solstice 14 June 2010 11 day Rome/Greece/Turkey/Rome itinerary. Too bad since we were looking forward to the Venice portion of the cruise.

Hmmm, not really. I thought this is what you meant/

Surely smoking or non smoking cannot be a justification for reducing the fleet in Europe.

I am still not sure I get the point. Are you saying there are more smokers in Europe?????

:confused:

According to the Stats, there's definitely more smokers in Europe. On average 20% of Canadians smoke, the US is probably around the same. 30% of the French smoke and a whopping 40% of Greeks and Central Europeans smoke. I know with the economic turmoil right now, the ships are counting on Europeans filling those ships rather than North Americans flying over. Which is why RCL based a ship full time there.

And please, I'm not blaming Celebrity pulling a ship on the smoking situation, it was just a question. They did a great job putting in one of the strictest smoking policies, but I was just wondering if it was hurting them in Europe.

I really do not understand their thinking on this one.....

Cancel Solstice that was sailing out of Rome

Cancel Equinox that was sailing out of Barcelona

Move Equinox to do the Solstice sailings out Rome

Move Solstice to the Caribbean during the hurricane season

Why not just cancel Equinox and send that to the Caribbean, and leave Solstice where it was instead of making two ship-loads of passengers get upset. That way they get a newer ship.

Or is that far too simple..

According to the Stats, there's definitely more smokers in Europe. On average 20% of Canadians smoke, the US is probably around the same. 30% of the French smoke and a whopping 40% of Greeks and Central Europeans smoke. I know with the economic turmoil right now, the ships are counting on Europeans filling those ships rather than North Americans flying over. Which is why RCL based a ship full time there.

And please, I'm not blaming Celebrity pulling a ship on the smoking situation, it was just a question. They did a great job putting in one of the strictest smoking policies, but I was just wondering if it was hurting them in Europe.

There are very very few central europeans on Celebrity cruises in Europe. In fact there are aren't many europeans of any sort on Celebrity cruises in Europe at all. We've been on Galaxy twice and we found a few fellow Brits and once a German couple; that was about it. The great majority of passengers were from the USA & Canada.

My guess is that it's the price of air fares that's putting americans off cruising in Europe next year.

(Incidentally, by all accounts Eclipse is doing very well for bookings out of Southampton for 2010, mainly with Brits: that will be a difference.)

There are very very few central europeans on Celebrity cruises in Europe. In fact there are aren't many europeans of any sort on Celebrity cruises in Europe at all. We've been on Galaxy twice and we found a few fellow Brits and once a German couple; that was about it. The great majority of passengers were from the USA & Canada.

My guess is that it's the price of air fares that's putting americans off cruising in Europe next year.

(Incidentally, by all accounts Eclipse is doing very well for bookings out of Southampton for 2010, mainly with Brits: that will be a difference.)

I think that the economy is having an impact on all kinds of travel... including cruising in Europe, but... we were all set with a cruise booked on the Equinox for September 15th, 2010, with a great group of friends from across the US and the UK... wonderful itinerary with great ports from Venice to Barcelona. Now, not only is our cruise cancelled, there are no longer similar itineraries being offered by Celebrity, period. We are probably going to have to go to another cruise line, which is not what I want to do. But if we cannot get the itinerary we want, what are we supposed to do? I keep hoping that this itinerary will reappear. Wonder if there is any chance at all of that happening?

Archived