Looking for a relaxing beach day

jjr1282

Grand Cayman is our second of three stops and I think we're looking for a good beach day or an light and easy excursion by the beach.

Sounds like we should head to publicbeach on 7 mile island? Does that sounds right?

Grand Cayman is our second of three stops and I think we're looking for a good beach day or an light and easy excursion by the beach.

Sounds like we should head to publicbeach on 7 mile island? Does that sounds right?

It is called Seven Mile Beach - a free public beach, and it is about a 10 minute (around $4~5 pp) taxi ride north of the dock. Two popular places to access the beach are at Royal Palms (a bar/grill with free bathrooms) and further north at Sea Grapes.

Seven Mile Beach at Royal Palms, June 2008:

2625768360_556c9e1e21.jpg

Royal Palms sounds like the destination we'll make. I think your day has a lot of ships in (5) - Will this get overcrowded? Any other suggestions if thats the case?

Thanks!

It is called Seven Mile Beach - a free public beach, and it is about a 10 minute (around $4~5 pp) taxi ride north of the dock. Two popular places to access the beach are at Royal Palms (a bar/grill with free bathrooms) and further north at Sea Grapes.

Last time I was there we took a taxi to the public beach and hardly anyone was there. I'm not sure what the name of the beach was, though. No chairs were there and I never saw any restrooms either. But it was a very nice beach and we had a good time. Our taxi driver even waited for us for hours until we were ready to go back to the ship. I told her she didn't have to wait, but she insisted. Guess she wanted that return fare! :)

We just returned yesterday from a Freedom cruise. We walked to/from 7 mile beach and had a really great time at the beach. It's beautiful. It was hot walking back, so I'd probably hail a cab next time.

We entered about mid-point and found a nice spot near a beach bar with bathrooms.

This is a "don't miss" beach!

7MB is one of our favourite beaches. Just pick up a cab at the pier and tell the driver what you want like beach chairs for rent, food, etc. We ask for a quiet spot with washrooms walkable.

My heart is set on going to Rum Point...it seems to have everything I want in a beach. The only problem is getting there. Does anyone know how the water at 7 Mile Beach compares to what we would find at Rum Point?

My heart is set on going to Rum Point...it seems to have everything I want in a beach. The only problem is getting there. Does anyone know how the water at 7 Mile Beach compares to what we would find at Rum Point?

In my honest opinion (this is coming from a person that has been frequenting GCM for 15 years) the water and beaches on 7 mile are better and prettier. BUT, Rum Point has more of a relaxed feeling and is more like what you would think of a tropical island. I love going to Rum Point to just relax its one of my personal favorites of places to go. Look into Nativeway they have an excursion that goes to SRC and Rum Point thats always fun and I LOVED it!

We just returned yesterday from a Freedom cruise. We walked to/from 7 mile beach and had a really great time at the beach. It's beautiful. It was hot walking back, so I'd probably hail a cab next time.

We entered about mid-point and found a nice spot near a beach bar with bathrooms.

This is a "don't miss" beach!

Annie how long was the walk from the pier?

I'm with Sh0rty470...I love Rum Point (we have a house there) but I think the beach/water is nicer at Seven Mile. It's all a matter of personal taste, though...

Rum Point's shady environment is partly created by the casarina pines on the beach. These pines drop needles, just like any other pine tree. That means that a lot of the sand at Rum Point is covered with pine needles. It drives me crazy when we go to Rum Point. (We've gotten rid of all the pines on our property, so it's not a problem for us there.) Seven Mile Beach has virtually no trees, so there's a much longer stretch of clean white sand.

Seven Mile Beach faces out into the open ocean, and it's much longer than Rum Point, so you get more of a "wide open ocean" feeling, if that makes any sense. A good portion of Rum Point faces the other side of the island, since it's in a large bay, and the beach area is smaller. You don't feel as much like you are out in the ocean.

Rum Point is more secluded (although it can still be very crowded on heavy cruise ship days, weekends and holidays) than Seven Mile. There's one beach bar, one restaurant and one tiny store right at Rum Point, and then just houses along the beach nearby. Seven Mile is the main tourist area, so it's much more built-up with hotels and restaurants. Rum Point is more "secluded tropical island" feeling, while Seven Mile is more "Miami or Fort Lauderdale" feeling.

Facilities, food, drinks, rentals, etc. are virtually identical in both places in terms of availability, although Seven Mile has more variety, so whichever you choose you'll be fine that way. If you're worried about getting to Rum Point and back to the ship on time, though, you're likely better off with Seven Mile Beach...

Great picture of Royal Palms. That's where we're going.

Just got back - 7 mile beach is absolutely beautiful! We got the taxi to drop us at Sea Grapes. You could rent chairs ($15 ea), umbrellas(??), water mattresses ($5 ea), etc. No problem in getting drinks , food or access to a restroom. I loved it there, wish I could have stayed longer.

Lots of cabs waiting but beware - get in one that's almost full or you'll be waiting a while!

I have posted this before but here it goes again - Rates at Royal Palms as of July 2008 -

Chairs - $5

Umbrellas - $10

Lockers - $4

Floats - $5

Mask, fins & snorkel - $15

Waverunners - single $65/half hour

double $95/half hour

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

We went to Seven Mile beach and rented chairs and an umbrella at the Royal Palms. Perfect for us - not too expensive to get there (pretty close to the ship) - the water was beautiful - not too crowded - food was ok - service was ok. Nothing fancy and not a lot of choices - but that was ok as we were just looking for a nice relaxing day - and this place fit the bill perfectly.

Be careful about the "less crowds". For us it may simply have been that we were lucky. Our cruise ship was the only one in port that day. I just clicked on the Royal Palms web cam (see link below) and see that there are at least two ships in port (there may be more) and the beach looks pretty crowded... at least a lot more crowded than when we went.

http://www.reefgrill.net/netcam/index.html

I guess there are no guaratees for a quiet beach day.

Archived