Vigo, Spain

Well not much in the city itself. As you get out of the terminal (there´s a WIFI are in the first floor) cross the aerial pass to the old town. It´s tiny and you shouldn´t miss the Plaza Constitución and little cathedral. At the back the main street which is García Barbon and pedestrian Principe for some nice buildings. However the city is the gateway to other locations. Local seafood in La Piedra (behind Bahia Hotel), and delicious oysters as well.

Take a boat to Cies Islands (opposite the boat) to the best beach in the world according to recent The Guardian Newspaper survey, but watch out, it´s freezing having a bath here. Samil is the main beach which could be reached by bus (you have the Tourist Board opposite the Shopping Centre at only 100 metres away.

My hometown is about 88 km from here, and it´s the main touristical city of the area if you are interested in old medieval cities preserved in a perfect way. Take the bus 15B to Train Station and it takes 90 minutes to get here, in hourly trains. Should you get rent a private taxi, you would have to pay for about 140 euros the whole day.

Pontevedra is small entchanting city only 30 minutes by train from Vigo. Other spots if you rent a car would be: La Guardia, Santa Tecla Mountain, Portuguese village of Valenca with Tuy in the Spanish site, Bayona, and coast line to the north stopping at La Lanzada Beach, El Grove, Combarro as a fishing village stopped in time.

http://www.turgalicia.es

http://www.santiagoturismo.com

http://www.turismdevigo.org

http://www.turismoenpontevedra.com/

Welcome¡

It is our first time there. What do we not want to miss?

If your cruise offers a tour to Santiago de Compostela that is what you shouldn't miss, It is an hour and a half from Vigo and it really is a jewel of a place . I have been there three times and I never tire of it. If you don't want to take a tour there you could follow Keltic's suggestion of how to get there by train. There are also buses, I will try to find the website for the schedules. For train schedules you can go to http://www.renfe.es

We visited Vigo last autumn on Ventura, and to our surprise it was one of the most pleasant stops we had. We decided not to go to Santiago de Compostela, so stayed around the town. It was a very clear day and pleasantly warm but not too hot - perhaps 23 degrees or so (mid-70s). We walked up to an old castle high above the town, and that was delightful: when we got up there we found that the castle and its grounds have been turned into well-maintained floral gardens with fabulous views over the town and the river, and we spent quite some time up there just relaxing in the sunshine.

We also visited a couple of small bars around the old part of town, just for a glass or two of wine, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then before we left we bought some bottles of wine from a very good wine shop on the quay side; they had english-speaking staff, and certainly seemed t know what they were talking about. (We bought several bottles of Ribera del Duero, btw - excellent wine.) We also did some general shopping: my wife bought a lace shawl and I bought a piece of Galician pottery, both form small local shops in the town centre.

Finally the sail out along the river was very beautiful, especially looking towards the north bank of the river, with the sun shining on it. Then we rounded the final headland at the mouth of the river - very wild, very rocky - and headed out into the Atlantic. A very enjoyable day.

If your cruise offers a tour to Santiago de Compostela that is what you shouldn't miss.
And to add to the possibilities, you could rent a car and drive yourself to Santiago. I have done that twice from La Coruna, which is a similar distance away from Santiago in the other direction (and on the second occasion actually made a back-up reservation at Vigo because there was a hint that we were not going to La Coruna - although we did in the end go there after all). The road is good; the drive should take about ¾ of an hour.

In fact, it´s a motorway and it takes a little bit more than from La Coruña.

La Coruña-Santiago (67 km)

Vigo-Santiago (88 km).

Car is a perfect recommendation. You could visit many places on the route. It´s fast and efficient.

Well not much in the city itself. As you get out of the terminal (there´s a WIFI are in the first floor) cross the aerial pass to the old town. It´s tiny and you shouldn´t miss the Plaza Constitución and little cathedral. At the back the main street which is García Barbon and pedestrian Principe for some nice buildings. However the city is the gateway to other locations. Local seafood in La Piedra (behind Bahia Hotel), and delicious oysters as well.

Take a boat to Cies Islands (opposite the boat) to the best beach in the world according to recent The Guardian Newspaper survey, but watch out, it´s freezing having a bath here. Samil is the main beach which could be reached by bus (you have the Tourist Board opposite the Shopping Centre at only 100 metres away.

My hometown is about 88 km from here, and it´s the main touristical city of the area if you are interested in old medieval cities preserved in a perfect way. Take the bus 15B to Train Station and it takes 90 minutes to get here, in hourly trains. Should you get rent a private taxi, you would have to pay for about 140 euros the whole day.

Pontevedra is small entchanting city only 30 minutes by train from Vigo. Other spots if you rent a car would be: La Guardia, Santa Tecla Mountain, Portuguese village of Valenca with Tuy in the Spanish site, Bayona, and coast line to the north stopping at La Lanzada Beach, El Grove, Combarro as a fishing village stopped in time.

www.turgalicia.es

www.santiagoturismo.com

www.turismdevigo.org

http://www.turismoenpontevedra.com/

Welcome¡

Fabulous information. Thanks so much.

If your cruise offers a tour to Santiago de Compostela that is what you shouldn't miss, It is an hour and a half from Vigo and it really is a jewel of a place . I have been there three times and I never tire of it. If you don't want to take a tour there you could follow Keltic's suggestion of how to get there by train. There are also buses, I will try to find the website for the schedules. For train schedules you can go to www.renfe.es

So what exactly will I want to see in Santiago do Compostela?

We visited Vigo last autumn on Ventura, and to our surprise it was one of the most pleasant stops we had. We decided not to go to Santiago de Compostela, so stayed around the town. It was a very clear day and pleasantly warm but not too hot - perhaps 23 degrees or so (mid-70s). We walked up to an old castle high above the town, and that was delightful: when we got up there we found that the castle and its grounds have been turned into well-maintained floral gardens with fabulous views over the town and the river, and we spent quite some time up there just relaxing in the sunshine.

We also visited a couple of small bars around the old part of town, just for a glass or two of wine, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then before we left we bought some bottles of wine from a very good wine shop on the quay side; they had english-speaking staff, and certainly seemed t know what they were talking about. (We bought several bottles of Ribera del Duero, btw - excellent wine.) We also did some general shopping: my wife bought a lace shawl and I bought a piece of Galician pottery, both form small local shops in the town centre.

Finally the sail out along the river was very beautiful, especially looking towards the north bank of the river, with the sun shining on it. Then we rounded the final headland at the mouth of the river - very wild, very rocky - and headed out into the Atlantic. A very enjoyable day.

Sounds like a wonderful day. Thank you for sharing. Are there many shops in Vigo where you can get things like you bought?

So what exactly will I want to see in Santiago do Compostela?

The main attraction in Santiago is the Cathedral, set in the huge Plaza de Obradoiro. But the historic center of Santiago (ie the old section of town) is a beautifully preserved medieval city of granite buildings. Of course , it has lost of shops, cafes and the rest. Also, it is for the most part a pedestrian city which makes it very pleasent to walk in. I suggest you go to the website provided by keltic http://www.santiagoturismo.com so you can see pictures of the city and read more about it.

And to add to the possibilities, you could rent a car and drive yourself to Santiago. I have done that twice from La Coruna, which is a similar distance away from Santiago in the other direction (and on the second occasion actually made a back-up reservation at Vigo because there was a hint that we were not going to La Coruna - although we did in the end go there after all). The road is good; the drive should take about ¾ of an hour.

Thanks

The main attraction in Santiago is the Cathedral, set in the huge Plaza de Obradoiro. But the historic center of Santiago (ie the old section of town) is a beautifully preserved medieval city of granite buildings. Of course , it has lost of shops, cafes and the rest. Also, it is for the most part a pedestrian city which makes it very pleasent to walk in. I suggest you go to the website provided by keltic www.santiagoturismo.com so you can see pictures of the city and read more about it.

Great, thanks again.

Archived