auto tip on NCL

LounVal

FYI it's technically not a "tip", but rather a "daily service charge". (but a rose by any other name...;)) You are permitted to offer an additional cash gratuity to those you feel have rendered excellent service.

There will be a 15% "tip" automatically added to any purchased beverages...alcoholic or not, and 18% automatically added to spa/beauty salon services. It's considered appropriate to offer a dollar or two per person tip to room service waiters. If you are in a full suite, you may wish to tip your butler and concierge. They do not share in the $12 pp service charge pool.

If your kid's use the kid's club you will need to tip them separately; they are not part of the service charge group.

Also if you purchase a drink or attend a NCL U alcohol "class" you will be charged an auto tip of 15%. For the spa there is an auto tip of 18%.

Just returned from a cruise on the Jade, and it was 12$ pp/pday. After chatting with an employee, we decided to remove 1/2 our auto-gratuity, and instead give extra tips throughout the ship for excellent service. We understood, and were told, that those getting the tips would have to place them back in the pool.... However, the benefit for the employee is that their name gets recorded as receiving a tip. The employee told us, that this is a bonous to them, even without being able to keep their tip, as it helps during evaluation times, and promotions.

So although we removed 1/2 the auto-tip (which I know to some is a big no-no on here. lol) we still provided the same amount of money back, just directed at specific individuals.

I feel that the $12/pp auto tip is justified. I just saw the special on NCL last again for the second time. The staff work 10 months out of the year - with no days off (is that possible)?. One of the stewards on the Pearl said he works to send money home to his family. We had very good service from our steward and his assistant on the Dawn in March, so we tipped extra. Each morning, for room service, we also tipped. If staff is polite and willing to go "the extra mile", why not?

Just returned from a cruise on the Jade, and it was 12$ pp/pday. After chatting with an employee, we decided to remove 1/2 our auto-gratuity, and instead give extra tips throughout the ship for excellent service. We understood, and were told, that those getting the tips would have to place them back in the pool.... However, the benefit for the employee is that their name gets recorded as receiving a tip. The employee told us, that this is a bonous to them, even without being able to keep their tip, as it helps during evaluation times, and promotions.

So although we removed 1/2 the auto-tip (which I know to some is a big no-no on here. lol) we still provided the same amount of money back, just directed at specific individuals.

Huh?

We left the auto-tips as they are AND tipped extra to 2-3 handfuls of people throughout the ship. We had excellent service from all the people on the ships.

This is a good idea, for those that really understand how the service charge works.Some people will respond very nastily to this, but they just do not understand that the service charge does not all go to the employes, where as the cash does, even if it goes into a pool, it will still get distributed among the staff. The service charge does not get distributed fully to the staff, I also asked this as you did on my last cruise. I would rather give the cash to the employee than directly to NCL.

Thanks for the information on how this does benefit the individual staff that receives cash tips, such as their evaluation benefit.

I fully agree the staff works very hard and deserves as much cash as you can afford to give them, this is why I choose to cash tip them and leave the DSC in place as long as I take advantage of the service, if there is a day when the service is off, or I do not use it , I remove it and tip to those who I see fit.

This is a good idea, for those that really understand how the service charge works.Some people will respond very nastily to this, but they just do not understand that the service charge does not all go to the employes, where as the cash does, even if it goes into a pool, it will still get distributed among the staff. The service charge does not get distributed fully to the staff, I also asked this as you did on my last cruise. I would rather give the cash to the employee than directly to NCL.

Thanks for the information on how this does benefit the individual staff that receives cash tips, such as their evaluation benefit.

I fully agree the staff works very hard and deserves as much cash as you can afford to give them, this is why I choose to cash tip them and leave the DSC in place as long as I take advantage of the service, if there is a day when the service is off, or I do not use it , I remove it and tip to those who I see fit.

I'm curious where you claim the service charge goes, if not to the staff.

I'm curious where you claim the service charge goes, if not to the staff.

from the website:

Gratuities

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

NCL Service Charge

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day for guests over the age of 3 will automatically be added to your onboard account. Please see our brochure or http://www.ncl.com for details.

Our crew is encouraged to work together as a service team and compensated by a combination of salary and incentive program that the Service Charge supports. It is our earnest wish that you enjoy your Freestyle Cruise experience and that our entire crew in all areas of the ship will provide you with the standard of service for which NCL is known. Therefore, if you have any concerns about the service you receive during your cruise; please bring them to the immediate attention of our reception desk staff on board so that we can address any issues in a timely manner before the cruise is over.

Both NCL and NCL America have a structured guest satisfaction program on board designed to handle any concerns raised by our guests relating to the service or on board product quickly and efficiently. In almost all cases we are able to come up with a satisfactory solution to any issues which are raised and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise holiday. In the unlikely event we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issues through our guest satisfaction program; guests will be able to adjust the Service Charge according to the level of inconvenience they feel they have experienced.

Our clear priority is to have the opportunity of resolving the issue, when it happens, to everyone's complete satisfaction.

your paying it and you do not know? look on the website and it will tell you.

I thought that would be your answer. This subject has been beaten to death on other threads. No sense discussing it further, other than to say the material you quote says nothing to support your contention that the service charge goes anywhere but to the staff.

I thought that would be your answer. This subject has been beaten to death on other threads. No sense discussing it further, other than to say the material you quote says nothing to support your contention that the service charge goes anywhere but to the staff.

It goes to the staff in ways other than cash and paychecks.Incentive programs, which I have no idea what ncl offers their employees.

Archived