Book ideas for Alaskan cruise

baz48

We're leaving on the May 14 Princess Alaskan cruise for 2 weeks. I thought it might be nice to read a book either set in Alaska or about Alaska that isn't too heavy. I need something I can pick up and read for short periods in between all the other things we'll be doing! Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Caroline

We're leaving on the May 14 Princess Alaskan cruise for 2 weeks. I thought it might be nice to read a book either set in Alaska or about Alaska that isn't too heavy. I need something I can pick up and read for short periods in between all the other things we'll be doing! Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Caroline

You will love the Sue Henry books! They are a great series of books with suspense and they will leave you wanting to read all of her books!

CincinnatiGal

The Klondike Fever by Pierre Berton gives detailed rousing account of the 1898 Goldrush in the winter thru Skagway to the Yukon - unbelievable hardships, inhumanity and exploits. Great true adventure saga - the reason they built the railroad from Skagway. I hope to hike a short portion of Goldrush trail this May.

Tops on my list would be "If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name", by Heather Lende. Heather is the obituary writer/social columnist for the local newspaper in Haines and has written an amazing book! Very touching stories about life in a remote Alaska town!

Also, John Muir's "Travels in Alaska", which is the account of his travels in Alaska in 1879 and 1880. His description of discovering Glacier Bay in 1879 is stunning.

"Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer (non-fiction)- usually has a big (but different) impact on everyone who reads it.

"Alaska Cruise Companion" by Joe Upton, a mile-by-mile guide of the sights, history, and geography along your cruise ship route with an excellent large map.

I always take my Fodors and Frommers Alaska books with me. Sure, I've poured over them at home, but to read about the port you are about to dock at the night before gets me that much more excited, anticipating what is to come. Plus when you read about something and actually see it there in front of you - well, it makes it that much more "real." Alaska is a truly magical place - and anything I can read about it, fiction or non-fiction, is right up my alley! Enjoy your cruise - happy sailing!

These are great recommendations! Thanks to you all. Our local library has most of them, so now I just need to decide which ones to take!

Thanks,

Caroline

I have read Dana Stabenow and like her books. They are fiction set in Alaska, mystery & suspense. She has written 2 sets of series, they need to be read in order. Go to her web site to see if her books would interest you.

"Birds of Prey" by J.A. Jance is a murder mystery set on an Alaska cruise. Always fun to read a book set where you are with characters doing what you're doing.

And "Passage to Juneau" by Jonathan Raban is a nonfiction recount of an ex-pat British man sailing his private boat from Seattle up the Inside Passage to Juneau ... along the way, he recounts much of the tribal history of the area, stories of the first explorers to the area, and current local color as he stops in small ports along the way. Great book!

And I'd also have to give a nod to "If You Lived Here I'd Know Your Name" mentioned above. Another fun read.

The Yiddish Policemen's Union is one of the best books I've ever read. It's fiction, a very good detective story as well as containing a "re-imagined histrory and present day -- "The premise is that, contrary to real history, the United States voted to implement the 1940 Slattery Report, that recommended the provision of land in Alaska for the temporary refugee settlement of European Jews who were being persecuted during World War II. It imagines a temporary independent Jewish settlement being created on the Alaskan coast. As a result, only two million Jews are killed in the Holocaust.[1] The setting is Sitka, Alaska, which has become a spawling metropolis at the centre of the Jewish settlement in Alaska. The lands across the border are populated primarily by Tlingit Alaska Natives, and there has been a history of friction between the Jews and the Tlingit, but also of intermarriage and cross-cultural contact; one of the novel's characters, Berko Shemets, is half Jewish, half Native. Sitka's independence has been granted for only sixty years, and the novel is set at the end of this period, as an evangelical Christian United States President is promising to go through with the 'Reversion' of Sitka to the United States.

The Yiddish Policemen's Union is one of the best books I've ever read. It's fiction, a very good detective story as well as containing a "re-imagined histrory and present day -- "The premise is that, contrary to real history, the United States voted to implement the 1940 Slattery Report, that recommended the provision of land in Alaska for the temporary refugee settlement of European Jews who were being persecuted during World War II. It imagines a temporary independent Jewish settlement being created on the Alaskan coast. As a result, only two million Jews are killed in the Holocaust.[1] The setting is Sitka, Alaska, which has become a spawling metropolis at the centre of the Jewish settlement in Alaska. The lands across the border are populated primarily by Tlingit Alaska Natives, and there has been a history of friction between the Jews and the Tlingit, but also of intermarriage and cross-cultural contact; one of the novel's characters, Berko Shemets, is half Jewish, half Native. Sitka's independence has been granted for only sixty years, and the novel is set at the end of this period, as an evangelical Christian United States President is promising to go through with the 'Reversion' of Sitka to the United States.

I'm an avid reader and have a taste of quite a bit of literature. Somehow I missed this one:) I tend to science fiction, then historical and after that interesting mysteries. Now - this book sounds like almost all of the above. I have to check out this story if for no other reaosn than the very creative plot you so succincly outlined!!! Sorta of alternative history meets travel guide with an interpertation by Ron Paul:):):)

I'm an avid reader and have a taste of quite a bit of literature. Somehow I missed this one:) I tend to science fiction, then historical and after that interesting mysteries. Now - this book sounds like almost all of the above. I have to check out this story if for no other reaosn than the very creative plot you so succincly outlined!!! Sorta of alternative history meets travel guide with an interpertation by Ron Paul:):):)

I will second the recommendation; I read this last year on our 14 days cruise (and Sitka was our second to last port). The author actually went out whale watching with Captain Davey when he was researching Sitka for this novel.

• 2 weeks later...

My book arrived as well. Trying to hold off until we leave to read. Bought this and the Mystery about the iditarod...unfortunately finished the mystery in about 2 hours...was a nice read - now trying to hold off so I have something to read!:)

• 2 weeks later...

We were just on a 4 hour excursion with Captain Davy Lubin and the Ester G II on Thursday!! We have completed 5 Alaska Cruises and gobs of tours / excursions. This includes helicopter glacier landings (Taku Glacier) and Misty Fiords float plane sightseeing. Davey's wildlife excursion is the best if you want to see the most wildlife in Alaska! We saw bear, gray whales, puffins, sea otters with babies, seals, eagles and many see birds! Even a humming bird onboard the boat!;)

You can not go wrong! :D We will book this EVERY time we go to Sitka!

http://www.puffinsandwhales.com/

Archived