Azamara coffee...drinkable?

anniecat

I am surprised to hear that the coffee is so bad. We went on a Celebrity cruise this past October, and I thought the coffee was wonderful!! Like Starbucks, dark and rich. I hate that dirty dishwater stuff!! Not worth drinking!

I was on a short NCL cruise in April, and they didn't have coffee creamer or half and half the whole cruise! Coffee with low fat milk is ghastly!

Hoping that Azamara makes it dark, rich and has real cream. We leave in October, should be plenty of time for them to read the posts and rectify the situation.

Terri

Just off a fabulous cruise on Quest and coffee was my biggest complaint - the stuff from room service varied from bitter and burned to watery and weak, and the buffet coffee machines produced dirty dishwater, even from the so called espresso machine. The stuff that the crew poured came from a different pot and was sometimes pretty good. Although one could find half & half, it was often a struggle, which is absurd. They had very little of it in Discoveries, Prime C and Aqualina. If somebody poured my coffee, I would always ask if they had 1/2 & 1/2. Sometimes even when they said yes it was just milk. It was a daily annoyance (hardly enough to affect my great time, but there it was). I did notice that the coffee got stronger after the mid-cruise comment cards were distributed, but it never got to be great.

So...how was the hot chocolate??;)

The hot chocolate was the same type throughout the ship but, somehow, when it was served at the Mosaic Cafe it was wonderful. Obviously, the cream, sprinkles and "proper" machine made all the difference. We never tried to achieve the same effect with the espresso machine in the buffet but it may work.

Sue

A lot of cruise lines use a coffee syrup to make their coffee rather than fresh real coffee beans (ground) and, no, I don't think it tastes that great on most ships we have been on. Sometimes the expresso machines make it better because they use real ground coffee. I usually stick to tea, can't do much to a tea bag. My husband likes coffee with breakfast and he has been disappointed many times on most of the ships we have been on. Guess we will just have to keep protesting as we go along. We are doing our first Azamara cruise in October, we will see how it compares to Oceania with whom we have done 4 cruises with in the last year and a half.

Having just returned from a wonderful trip with Azamara, the coffee was okay with two/three shots of expresso from the machine topped with hot water.

The coffee served in the stateroom was very strong, I requested a double expresso in a large cup with hot water. The cream was longlife!! but as we were in Italy it was easy to buy cream in a local supermarket and keep in fridge. Our butler went to a lot of trouble initially to find the cream but they only have MILK (ugh) or later, they did have half and half which was just acceptable. Cheers. (Enjoying proper Italian coffee with CREAM from my own machine!!) Perhaps Azamara should provide staterooms with their own machines!

• 2 weeks later...

The coffee problem seems to be universal on every cruise line, but we have to remember it's a matter of taste. On the Journey we found the coffee in Prime C to be the best on the ship. In the dining room at night it was second best and at other times of the day - horrid. Room service was the worst and most variable. In the "cafiteria" we found half a cup of regular mixed with half expresso the best for the morning. If you want a good cup in your room to start the day; find a good instant you can live with and just order hot water. We had no problem finding half and half on our 12 day cruise in March.

I love a great cup of coffee. I did not get it on the Journey. The coffee in Discovery was horrible. The coffee in Windows/Breezes was fair. The machine out on the rear deck was better than most. The coffee in the specialty restaurants was also fair. I started drinking cappicino and triple expressos which were better than the regular coffee. The tea selection is good.

On some cruises we have taken our own one-cup-at-a-time french press (from Starbucks) and our own coffee, just getting hot water from the ship. Even the waiters come over and ask for a cup!!!! Do we have to on this trip?

ItalianGuest,

I'm happy to learn you approve of the coffee. Coffee is Crucial! And every Med cruise I've taken, from the Stella Maris II (anyone remember Royal Olympic?) to Celebrity, to NCL (aghh!) has offered nasty-tasting coffee. Once, when we docked in Naples and I bought a stand-up espresso, I thought I would swoon from pure happiness. Hope you're right about Journey's coffee...

Remember that if you're in a suite, Cova coffees are complimentary when delivered to your room. So order a latte or cappuccino from the butler and you should be fine...at least we've found it to be quite good and request it with breakfast and in the evening (OK, afternoon, too with savories).

Archived