Azamara coffee...drinkable?

anniecat

Since both HAL and X have marginally drinkable coffee, what's the coffee like on Azamara Journey? (and I'm referring to the regular Lido/dining room stuff..not the 'pay extra for' stuff.) After the last two cruises I'm seriously thinking of bringing a french press and a bag of ground coffee.

a cost-conscious coffee lover:rolleyes:

The coffee that's pre-made in the morning is fairly marginal IMHO, BUT there are a couple of machines in the buffet area which grind and brew coffee by the cup which is very good. I like to do a cafe americano and then add an expresso to that. Good in the morning. The decaf in the specialty restaurants and the main dining room isn't bad either.

Hope that's useful.

I agree, our cruise 2 years ago on Milly the only moan I had was ...the coffee!!!! ..... ugh......I spent many a $$$ in Cova and that too was not that great.

So may I ask what the coffee on Journey is like?

I think "barely drinkable" is being a tad generous. We did not like the Cova coffee at all- the beans were burnt and there was no crema to speak of - the self service coffee machines were marginal (though one was out of order for about half our cruise), the breakfast coffee quality depended on how old it was. Italian espresso it was not! But we did still drink it most times and it was only a small blemish in otherwise good quality food/drink.

We found at least 4 stations, each with two coffee machines: One machine for "American" coffee (Hot, brown water!) and one Espresso machine for different types of excellent coffee. We enjoyed real good coffee compared to HAL, PRINCESS and CELEBITY!

I thought the buffet coffee was fine. We didn't eat enough in the dining room for me to remember how it was in there.

Remember that, if you are staying in a Sky Suite, you get complimentary specialty coffees (nonalcoholic) delivered to your cabin (you still have to pay for them if you get them at the cafe). We had that a couple of times and it was great. THis cruise we'll just buy them with the savings we realized by downgrading to a balcony cabin.:)

But I can say that the coffee in March on Solstice was Starbucks or better equivalent. Always hot (sometimes too hot), always strong. And living in Seattle I am someone who drinks a lot of coffee.

Oh :(, looks like the coffee fix will be an issue again.....mind you the cocktails make up for it ;).

But with so many good machines and beans out there and great baristars(sp!) and a huge coffee culture you would think it would be an area that could be a "little" fine tuned!! on the ships.

I do love my coffee but I think I can cope for a couple of weeks, maybe thats the factor they work on so they don't worry. :(

Since both HAL and X have marginally drinkable coffee, what's the coffee like on Azamara Journey? (and I'm referring to the regular Lido/dining room stuff..not the 'pay extra for' stuff.) After the last two cruises I'm seriously thinking of bringing a french press and a bag of ground coffee.

Hi Anniecat,

I'm sorry for your french press but, also this time, It has to remain at home!:D

Complimentary coffee on board (espresso) is very good, not outstanding but absolutely drinkable.:)

Regards

ItalianGuest

I have been on Quest last year and Journey this year- the coffee was really good both trips. The Quest was a European cruise and the coffee was stronger- I had to add a little hot water. Both were delish!

Cathy

I love my coffee, even though I have to drink decaf. On the Journey (buffet) last year, I got myself a double decaf espresso and that was excellent. And the decaf in the DR was pretty good too. Of course, all of this is a question of taste!

However, we sailed on HAL Westerdam on April 12 and they served (buffet) some of the worse dishwash I have had in a long time. It was decent in the DR, but definitely not as good as on AZ.

great, I'll trust that the coffee will be OK, and not just 'for medicinal purposes'. On most cruises...a single cup is all I can tolerate unless it's doctored up with sweetener and milk. thanks:)

The self service espresso machines on the pool deck buffet area make very good regular and decaf espresso. I would make myself a triple espresso first thing in the morning. Best cruise ship coffee I've had.

I loved everything about my April 15 cruise on the Journey; the courteous and pleasant crew, delicious food, comfortable cabins. My eighth cruise, and Azamara has certainly become my favorite line. Have a great trip.

Peter

We just returned from Journey cruise and the coffee was terrible and one of our major complaints. WE were on the Quest last year and found the coffee was good. The automatic machines in the buffet were broken half the time or when they worked were marginal --maybe should have tried the expresso button. The other coffee that was sometimes available was ok. We found the Cova cafe to have good coffee-but you had to pay--less than paying at Starbucks though. The baristra knew how to make a good cup. We are coffee snobs and we roast our own beans so maybe we are too picky. I am not sure why their was such a difference in coffee from the Quest last year to the Journey this year unless they changed the coffee bean product.

• 2 weeks later...
Thought the Quest coffee was quite drinkable in the dining room and specialy restaurants, somewhat less so in the cafeteria (although once we found the free espresso machine, things improved considerably.)

We did you find the expresso machine??? Would it be in the same place on Journey?

Does the ship have herbal teas? DH is on no-caffeine orders which considering how picky he is about decaf coffee, should pretty much rule out coffee on the ship.

Joelmomma

Yes definintely had camomile tea and others but, as I do not drink them, I cannot say exactly what.

Sue

To Joelmomma,

Before you cruise, your husband should try out several kinds of herbal (decaf) tea and should bring some with him. You can always get hot water and this way, he will enjoy the tea he brought. My friends always carry their own even to restaurants.

Sheila

Archived