Pubs in Victoria and Vancouver

Tiff and I will be on the Carnival Splendor May 10th sailing to Victoria and Vancouver looking for recommendations for inexpensive fun little pubs or great food stops. I did read the Swans is really nice in Victoria. Appreciate any tips, have a great day!

Tiff and I will be on the Carnival Splendor May 10th sailing to Victoria and Vancouver looking for recommendations for inexpensive fun little pubs or great food stops. I did read the Swans is really nice in Victoria. Appreciate any tips, have a great day!

Victoria is a serious beer city. Swan's and Spinnaker's are the two brew pubs near the downtown core, that are can't miss. Also in the downtown core are a couple of excellent breweries; Vancouver Island Brewery and Phillip's Brewing. From the cruise dock, turn left and walk down to fisherman's wharf and hop on the Harbour Ferry. That will take you directly to Spinnaker's. From there, it's a short walk or bus ride (under a mile) back to Swans.

You should be able to find all of these establishments on google, but if you need further directions, let me know.

Another fun pub in Victoria is the "Irish Times". If you have a group of 6 or so, you can ask to use "the snug". It is a replica of a traditional snug, normally used by the Irish village priests and politicians, etc. for privacy. It is on Government Street beside the entrance to Bastion Square.

My fave pubs in Vancouver are the Railway Club (looks dingy from outside but is a hidden gem - and surprisingly cheap!) on Richards Street and the Irish Heather in Gastown.

In Victoria there is the Sticky Wicket in the Strathconna Hotel on Douglas St. in the downtown area which is lot of fun particularly with the younger set. In Vancouver you may want to try one of the Steamworks establishments.

http://www.strathconahotel.com/the_sticky_wicket_pub___restau.html

http://www.steamworks.com/

The Lions Pub, on Cordova, just about a block from the entrance to the Cruise Terminal (Pan Pacific). A little further up Granville (between Nelson and Helmcken), is Johnny Foxes Irish Snug, a nice little place with lots of character. The Irish Heather in Gastown has been remodeled and moved across the street on Carrall, maybe not as much charm as it used to have.

If you can get a seat by the window overlooking your cruise ship possibly, is Steamworks, a local brew pub and so close to your ship. Lots of other opportunities in downtown Van if you need more.

Mike

Paul Gauguin 2004, 2007

Can someone recomened a pub that is in walking distance (or short public transportion) to the cruise ship dock in Victoria? We will only be in port for a few hours (7:00pm-11:59pm)and we will be celebrating a birthday as well. We dont want to be spending our time going to and from location. Just looking for the perfect pub (or pubs) to hit in Victoria.:D

Perhaps Scottbee can elaborate on this but there is a pub restaurant right outside the pier area and if I remember correctly has an outdoor seating area where you can watch the sun set over the Olympic Mountains and see people walking along the seashore.

There are also shuttle buses that will take you from the pier to the downtown core - once there everything is very compact so not a lot of walking involved.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I believe it's called The Divers Cafe (or something like that). Unfortunately it really is a cafe and only has beer and wine to offer; plus you have to eat something in order to get a drink. But it is a lovely spot to sit.

Perhaps Scottbee can elaborate on this but there is a pub restaurant right outside the pier area and if I remember correctly has an outdoor seating area where you can watch the sun set over the Olympic Mountains and see people walking along the seashore.

There are also shuttle buses that will take you from the pier to the downtown core - once there everything is very compact so not a lot of walking involved.

You're thinking of the Ogden Point Cafe, and yes, exit the cruise facility and turn right. It's more of a coffee shop than a pub though.

From the cruise terminal, grab the #30 or #31 bus, and head downtown $2.25, or grab a cab (probably $6). The busstop is right there on the left as you exit the terminal and the bus takes 5 mins. Downtown you have many more options.

The hotels nearest the cruise facility have some quiet lounge bars, but the nearest 'real' pubs would be either the James Bay Pub (James Bay Inn, Government St @ Toronto St) or downtown, with pubs like the Sticky Wicket (Strathcona Hotel 700 block Douglas), Bartholomews (Executive House Hotel Douglas @ Humbolt).

There is a new pub in Victoria that would be a good choice for a birthday celebration.

It is The Bard and Banker on Government Street, easily reached from the ship. The name

comes from the fact that it is a former bank building where Robert Service, the author of

Klondike goldrush fame, once worked and kept guard.

Archived