Fat Americans Breaking QM2 Seats?

ParrotHeadFL

I came across this today:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11609204%255E663,00.html

An excerpt:

Dozens of seats on the world's most luxurious cruise liner have collapsed under the weight of obese American passengers . . . Alstom Chantiers, the French company that provided the liner with all its fixtures and fittings, claimed many of the chairs had buckled under the weight of larger passengers.

I had heard that. It was very stupid thing for them to say. I believe it goes back to the old saying, " They sure don't make them like they used to. "

The material they used to make the furniture is most likely not the best quality and they don't want to admit it. Then again, did Cunard go with the the lowest offer to install furniture? Worth investigating..........

How crass and stupid for them to say such a thing.

True, we Americans (collectively) can stand to lose a few, but I have yet to hear of any of the other cruise lines complaining of this. As Americans cruise in larger numbers (pun intended) than any other population, the seven seas must be full of broken cruise ship furniture.

The issue is clear, if the furniture on QM2 is collapsing, then Cunard chose to furnish QM2 with cheap furniture. They should know which side their bread is buttered on, spread thickly with American dollars.

Hmmmm....I'll think about this as I munch on some more bacon...

kj

Any furniture manufactured for a cruise ship needs to be built to industrial standards. Yes American's are becoming fat, but I haven't read about any Royal Caribbean, Carnival, or Princess ships being sent back to the shipyard for new furniture. This is just an excuse for either poor quality and workmanship or a poor choice of furniture designs. Once again I would have to point the finger at whomever approved the furniture purchases. Everything should have been well tested prior to placing any orders.

It's interesting that QM2 might be going through some fairly drastic changes so soon ... after only a year or so of service. This is really not that common since just about everything can be tested on previous newbuilds to ensure functionality. Wasn't the same true of QE2? I believe she was also substantially altered very soon after entering service.

I guess I will be one of those lucky enough to say I sailed on QM2 in her "original form"! Let's start a new club!

Ernie

ps - the comments by the shipyard were in very bad taste, even if they are true. Personally I find them a poor excuse for possibly their own shottty workmanship. Cunard should be appalled by the comment as these same "fat American's" are apparently cruising on Cunard in droves and paying Cunard's inflated prices.

True, we Americans (collectively) can stand to lose a few, but I have yet to hear of any of the other cruise lines complaining of this.
But it was the shipyard complaining, not Cunard. One quote was from the shipyard's spokesperson, another from an "unnamed former member of the ship's crew" - note, former member.

But it was the shipyard complaining, not Cunard.

Yes, but the shipyard answers to Cunard, and Cunard answers to it's "fat" passengers. The shipyard should know better, especially considering the relationship they had with Cunard when building the ship. I would think the shipyard's PR person would probably realize that such a statement is not something their valued client Cunard Line would approve of. The French shipyard is hardly in a position to be making such comments and possibly jeopardizing future contracts with the Carnival Corp. "Loose lips sink ships" as the saying goes.

Ernie

Information from the European Food Information Council, who finds that Americans are not alone. http://www.eufic.org/en/quickfacts/obesity.htm

4. What are the trends in obesity and overweight?

Evidence suggesting that the prevalence of overweight and obesity is rising dramatically worldwide and that the problem appears to be increasing rapidly in children as well as in adults.

The most comprehensive data on the prevalence of obesity worldwide are those of the World Health Organisation MONICA project (MONItoring of trends and determinants in CArdiovascular diseases study) [14]. Together with information from national surveys, the data show that the prevalence of obesity in most European countries has increased by about 10-40% in the past 10 years, ranging from 10-20% in men and 10-25% in women [15]. The most alarming increase has been observed in the Great Britain, where nearly two thirds of adult men and over half of adult women are overweight or obese [16]. Between 1995 and 2002, obesity doubled among boys in England from 2.9% of the population to 5.7%, and amongst girls increased from 4.9% to 7.8%. One in 5 boys and one in 4 girls is overweight or obese. Among young men, aged 16 to 24 years, obesity increased from 5.7% to 9.3% and among young women increased from 7.7% to 11.6% [17]. The International Obesity Task Force monitors prevalence data (www.iotf.org).

Well, it just goes to type, I suppose. The Herald Sun has been owned by Rupert Murdoch (who owns the Fox Network in the US) since it was acquired by the News Corportation in 1987. Given the choice between covering a refit that includes interesting stuff (at least to me!) like alterations to the Winter Garden, increased capacity in the crew quarters, they write about... fat Americans!!! More interesting, more controversial, and of more interest to the average Australian. Oh, and it also sells more newspapers. In some circles it's referred to as "infotainment". ;)

The issue of weight creates headlines in other areas of travel as well (most notably with airplane seats). I'm sure Cunard will have to improve on their standards, but as the population grows I don't find it unusual that problems like this crop up, or get reported in newspapers.

• 11 months later...

Well, I didn't find the Dec 10th 2004 I was looking for! Bu I did find this!

Gosh, in light of all I have said about my weight, maybe I'd better put on my cruise registration docs "Request hefty chairs for fat American pax"

<LOL>

Many overweight in America are claiming that to dislike obesity is discrimination, and that obesity is a life choice, or even a condition that is natural.

Plumpness is one thing, obesity something else. The human body was not meant to carry that much weight, and like alcoholism or drug addiction, obesity is an illness about which many seem to be in denial.

Sure, no one should insult or discriminate against the obese, just as they should not do so in the case of alcoholics (but for the grace of God, there go I, so to speak, or judge not lest ye be judged). However, that does not take away from the fact that obesity is not a healthy state for a body to be in, nor is it attractive to observe (for most people, except for those who are so "inclined").

That said, I find it is very difficult to get healthy food in America, that is fresh and free from zillions of preservatives. I gain weight here without tremendous effort not to. In France, I lose weight without any effort. The food chain in the US I find extremely unhealthy.

Just can't wait to get back on that QM2, that beautiful ship (once was QE2) that sails gallantly into Manhattan and "takes me away", and, more and more likely, to stay this time... (Well, I know it won't be from Manhattan anymore, but Brooklyn, but what can you do?)

Many overweight in America are claiming that to dislike obesity is discrimination, and that obesity is a life choice, or even a condition that is natural.

Plumpness is one thing, obesity something else. The human body was not meant to carry that much weight, and like alcoholism or drug addiction, obesity is an illness about which many seem to be in denial.

Sure, no one should insult or discriminate against the obese, just as they should not do so in the case of alcoholics (but for the grace of God, there go I, so to speak, or judge not lest ye be judged). However, that does not take away from the fact that obesity is not a healthy state for a body to be in, nor is it attractive to observe (for most people, except for those who are so "inclined").

So MollyBrown, thank you for the sermon but what is your point?

So MollyBrown, thank you for the sermon but what is your point?

Not a sermon, just an opinion, while we're on the topic.

Soon, however, if the French keep eating those Big Macs, they won't have any room to talk! Obesity is growing in France, as it has been in the UK.

I guess one point of mine might be that I'm worried about the kind of food we're exposed to. It is very difficult to find anything free of preservatives these days, or not genetically modified, or not poisoned with pesticides, or not pumped with hormones. Even organic is not what it is claimed to be. But this is off topic...

As for those extremely overweight passengers on QM2, I haven't seen many at all, nor have I seen any broken chairs.

Plumpness is one thing, obesity something else. The human body was not meant to carry that much weight, obesity is not a healthy state for a body to be in, nor is it attractive to observe (for most people, except for those who are so "inclined").

That said, I find it is very difficult to get healthy food in America, that is fresh and free from zillions of preservatives.

Molly,

I'll be short (And fat!) Who, me?

I was forty pounds UNDERWEIGHT when I started on Prednisone. (107 5'6", large framed, larger boned. Couldn't take away the bones, no matter how much weight I lost!) My cheeks were sunk in, you could put your thumb and forefinger around my collarbone and touch fingers through the skin. My ribs and hip bones stuck out. I now weigh 280 pounds. I don't like it. But when I got my scarecrow wedding pictures, I cried and cried. The company nurse kept telling me how great I looked, even as the doctor forced me to gain more (too much) weight, and wouldn't let me get off the prednisone. He was afraid the weight would just melt back off. Neither of us really knew what would happen. I had Crohn's disease. Well, bottom line, none of it came back off. Then I ended up hospitalized from a bad asthma attack, that started the downward (or should I say upward) spiral. Every additional time on prednisone did more damage to my metabolism and my weight. When I was intubated, I gained about 35 pounds in less than a week (And of course, ate nothing, since I was intubated!) Finally a respiratory infection I never really got rid of almost two years ago put me over the edge. I became diabetic. My endocrinologist said the prednisone caused it. He kept trying to keep me off certain diabetic drugs, as he said I would probably gain a lot of weight. I had struggled so hard (by limiting carbs severly) to lose some weight, and was down to 245. The new drugs made me gain another 35 pounds, which I have never gotten back off. I was up to 285 and struggled to get back to 280. I hate being this way, I feel self-conscious, but sometimes I forget I am not pleasing to the eye of most and still talk flirtatiously, or as if I was just as deserving of being treated like a sex object as anyone! Then I remember myself. It is hard for me to meet people I have been "friends" with for a while over the phone at work from a distant office, or on line in a group. I never try to hide the truth. I am matter of fact about it. I try not to bash myself. It does no good. I'm not happy about it, but I live with it. The alternative is worse.

Yes you are right. Someone obese is not pleasing to the eye. And I, for one, often can't help but feel sorry for them. And make the same unfair (or fair!) assumptions anyone else would. Neither is someone anorexic (I have lived with someone close who suffered also from that.) But then, I mostly accept people for who they are. Everybody has a story. I'd rather know a kind, fun fat person, than a beautiful person who is hateful or bigoted. but I try to treat all people with respect. I am sure you do too.

This is indeed a free country. We can't tell McDonald's they must stop supersizing! Just as we can't force Americans to stop buying gas-hog vehicles, for the good of all, or to stop supporting Walmart because some of us think they are immoral and unethical. People will do what they chose to do, either through ignorance, or because they want to, or because they believe in what they are doing.

I try to buy canned or jarred fruit. You almost can't find it without added sugars, syrups, etc. I hate that! There is way too much added sugar, salt, and other things which are bad for you in our foods, and fresh foods, (around here, at least) are a joke., Taste has been bred out of them in favor of toughness to travel without bruising, seedlessness, rosier color or higher yield. Most fruits I can get, sometimes even locally grown is mushy of texture and cardboardy tasting.

Only by consumers demanding better foods will we MAYBE eventually get them. But we will pay a price. A higher price, no doubt for lower yield and less profits.

OTOH, I usually LOSE weight on a cruise, Because I am not tied to a desk, and I eat slower and healthier!

Okay, so I wasn't short. But, hey! I Didn't lie! I AM fat! I hope no one thnks the less of me! (How did that commercial go? Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me becasue I am really an obnoxious dork! No that wasn't it! <G>)

But thanks for your thoughts. You are so right about trying to eat healthy. It is difficult. I keep hoping for that break-through that will reverse prednisone's damage. In the meantime, I just go on living life the best I can. I fall down sometimes. I get up, brush myself off and get back to living. But the one indulgence I try not to deny myself is my cruises!

So here's to the Jan 3 Panama trip!

(And its' still a cheesy way to excuse shoddy workmanship on the chairs! Chairs do not usually break when I sit in them! )

Not a sermon, just an opinion, while we're on the topic.

Soon, however, if the French keep eating those Big Macs, they won't have any room to talk! Obesity is growing in France, as it has been in the UK.

Ooh! Molly, now you are nearing one of my favorite subjects, and one which is not Off topic here~! (And BTW, let's not bash the French for the furniture company's greed and culpability, those if you who thought along those lines. Most French, or anyone else, are delightful people. I wouldn't expect them to judge all Americans, and they don't, by George Bush's actions. Or Jesse James, either! )

Anyway. Speaking of the French eating Le Big Mac on the Champs Elysee, my true dream, is to go to Cuba before it is re-opened to the Americans. For as sure as it is, we will go in and mess it up like every other Caribbean Island we get our profit-seeking hands on. There will be a Colombian Emeralds, and a Diamond International. We will tout Tanzanite there, from the only (bottomless, it seems) Tanzanite mine in the world. And we will build a Mc Donald's on the Malecon. We will strip the beautiful fascinating culture in favor of making them "just liike us" with familiar foods, T-Shirt vendors, and a Ripley's Believe it or Not!

<Sigh>

I almost got to go to Cuba a couple of years back before Mr. Bush tightened the restrictions. My travel agency had a license from Treasury to run tours. They were in association with a Community College travel and learn program that we also run. Unfortunately, the rules were tightened, Mr. Castro changes HIS rules vis a vis Americans, and our license could not be renewed. A friend of mine ran the last Cuban Sailing regatta. Treasury came after him and claimed that they had spent money on island. (They stayed on their own boats, cooked thier own food on board and so on. But they claimed that they got free moorage in Havana Harbor from the Havana Yacht Club, and Inkind services are also not allowed. They threatened to take his sailboat and charge exhorbitant per day fines. He went one more time again, with a load of charity items (children's clothing and medicines) donated by his mother's B'Nai Brith (I hope I spelled that right) put together for the Jewish Community in Havana (Yes, there is a large Jewish community there with a brand new synagogue!)and for others. Sadly, he dare not go again, with the present atmosphere. The Cuban people are charming and love us. I grew up in Florida. I got to see both Tito Puente and Celia Cruz before they each died (If you have seen the PBS special, I was there) , and Ibrahim Ferrar (RIP) before he died a few months ago. My pediatrician was Cuban, I am a student of the culture, and the people. I have other friends, former Red Cross Disaster relief volunteers who went, through Mexico. I am so jealous. I missed my chance! For now.

So I want to be on the first Cruise ship which takes American Passengers (back) to Havana! Let it be a Cunard ship!

I got on the QM2 clinically obese, and left it morbidly obese!

I blame the cream teas's!

Seriously, i pay my taxes, and my fare to Cunard, just the same as everyone else. Ive never broken any chairs on QM2, and indeed felt comfortable with my looks and my company!

As long as I dont offend anyone else with my behaviour, or habits, then the anti fat brigade can go shove it where the sun dont shine.

Mind you - there are a few thin ugly cretins who were rude, patronising, offensive and generally obnoxious who I could cheerfully have keel hauled over the side!

Now that WOULD have improved the entertainment score! :D

I got on the QM2 clinically obese, and left it morbidly obese!

Mind you - there are a few thin ugly cretins who were rude, patronising, offensive and generally obnoxious who I could cheerfully have keel hauled over the side!

Gosh, Geoff,

I'm not so sure about that. You see, if the Keel is on the botom, and you keel-hauled them over the side, wouldn't that put you in a rather precarious position? Well, I guess it depends on which side you keel-hauled them and on which side retreated to to have a sip of tea and crumpets after your heroic effort and to calm you nerves!

Hmm, Now you have thrown down the gauntlet! Can I go from Clinical to Morbid? (Actually, I believe I have already made that waypoint.) No matter, I usually get plenty morbid.. or is that morose, about a day or two before my cruise is about to end. One reason I don' t take 3 or 4 day cruises! <LOL>

Yep, we come in all sizes, colors, and accents! Gotta love 'em all!

We don't know what others' circumstances are. Who are we to judge!

At least that's MHO!

Gosh, Geoff,

I'm not so sure about that. You see, if the Keel is on the botom, and you keel-hauled them over the side, wouldn't that put you in a rather precarious position? Well, I guess it depends on which side you keel-hauled them and on which side retreated to to have a sip of tea and crumpets after your heroic effort and to calm you nerves!

Hmm, Now you have thrown down the gauntlet! Can I go from Clinical to Morbid? (Actually, I believe I have already made that waypoint.) No matter, I usually get plenty morbid.. or is that morose, about a day or two before my cruise is about to end. One reason I don' t take 3 or 4 day cruises! <LOL>

Yep, we come in all sizes, colors, and accents! Gotta love 'em all!

We don't know what others' circumstances are. Who are we to judge!

At least that's MHO!

:D :D :D

In the old films they used to tie a rope round the thin ugly cretin on the boat - throw the other end over the port side - under the boat - up the starboard side and then pull the rope from the starboard side so our unfortunate skinny one followed the same path. Now if the shock of the fall, or the initial submersing, or the buffeting under the keel, or the sharks didnt kill the undernourished individual, then they pulled him up the other side back onto the ship - stuck him in the galley, and fed him up until he smiled.

Sounds a perfectly reasonable policy to lanky so and so's to me :D

Lovely.

I dread to think about the venom that would be unleashed on this board if I'd written the above post complete with descriptions of "fat ugly cretins" rather than those of the "thin" variety.

We do indeed come in all shapes and sizes. Come on Geoff, let's just rejoice in that fact - whatever impact we may (or may not) have on Cunard's subtandard furnishings!

Cheers.

Tim.

Lovely.

I dread to think about the venom that would be unleashed on this board if I'd written the above post complete with descriptions of "fat ugly cretins" rather than those of the "thin" variety.

We do indeed come in all shapes and sizes. Come on Geoff, let's just rejoice in that fact - whatever impact we may (or may not) have on Cunard's substandard furnishings!

Cheers.

Tim.

Sorry for the double entry but just noticed a typo - aaaagh!

Have they ever shown a BBC comedy called "One Foot in the Grave" in the USA? If not, it won't mean anything to most people, but I think I'm turning into Victor Meldrew.....:eek:

Lovely.

If not, it won't mean anything to most people, but I think I'm turning into Victor Meldrew.....:eek:

One assumes a more "toned" version... rather than the pot bellied, skinny legged, fat headed, crypto racist, middle class yob, etc as depicted on TV.

I predict, that this cruise will have an incredibly diverse passenger list and every single one will have a tale or two...

Already got a few from this board, and that's before I'm aboard (grin)

Bring it on!

Jack

PS... My insurance company wanted to charge me extra because I was rated as "obese".

5' 8" 12 stone... seems I'm the wrong shape! Skinny legs, big belly. Modesty restrains me from describing the length and width of further anatomy.

Note: [travel-to-go] It's my head NOT my heart!

Archived