Splitting up in port?

Lady_Jag

I'm leaving on the Carnival Glory this Saturday, along with hubby, our 3-year-old daughter, my mom, and a family friend. We are going to be in St. Martin one day, and I thought we would go to the butterfly farm, maybe the zoo, and then do some shopping in Philipsburg.

However, hubby would really like to go to Maho beach to watch the planes. I'd be cool with that too, but since my mom will most likely be using a wheelchair in port, and is very much anti-beach of any kind (long story, don't get me started), I just don't see it happening this time.

Anyway, today I thought about it, and since it's very difficult to shop with a 3-year-old in tow, maybe instead of the butterfly farm and zoo, hubby could take our daughter to Maho with him, while my mom and I go shopping in Philipsburg. (Our family friend can do whichever, as she prefers.) That would give our little one time to play at the beach, which she loves, and us "girls" time to shop.

Seemed like a good plan up front, but now I'm a little concerned about splitting up our family while in port. Hubby is INCREDIBLE with caring for our daughter, so that's not the issue. It's just being apart in a foreign country that makes me nervous, especially since the two of them will have to take a taxi to Maho.

Anyone else do separate excursions while in port? What do you recommend?

Everyone will be happier doing what they want...St. Martin is perfectly safe--all of you are adults and responsible. Dad can (and will) guard his child with his life...don't you know that?????

It's FINE to 'split up" so that everyone is happy doing what they like.

Being apart in a foreign country is just the same as being apart in the U.S. You are not splitting up in a dangerous or isolated place. I wouldn't worry about it.

Dad wasn't worried about going to the beach himself, was he?

Yeah, you're right. There's really nothing to worry about. Hubby has no problem going to Maho with or without DD. It would pretty much be just like any other beach trip for just the two of them, except that we won't be able to contact each other.

I think I'm just nervous because St. Martin is our last port and then there will be 2 days at sea, so if traffic or the draw bridge keeps them from making it back in time, it could get ugly. Oh well. I'll just tell them to be back at least 2 hours before the ship is scheduled to depart.

Just be certain everyone knows when to get back!

Check with your cell phone provider to see if they have service and if you can buy a week or month's plan that would include that island. Then if both parties have a cell phone, everyone could check in just to make it a bit more comfortable of a situation.

Just be certain everyone knows when to get back!

Check with your cell phone provider to see if they have service and if you can buy a week or month's plan that would include that island. Then if both parties have a cell phone, everyone could check in just to make it a bit more comfortable of a situation.

Great idea! I checked with my carrier and we DO get service in St. Martin, provided we call a US number, so no problems there. I also saw that it's cheaper to pay the 50 cents per text message sent/received rate ($1 total per message for the 2 of us) than the $1.99 per minute send/receive rate ($3.98 total per minute for the 2 of us) to contact each other.

Alright, now I'm feeling much, much better! :)

Archived