Poutine, anyone?

sanuk4u

...but you can find poutine served at the "food court" at Canadian Costcos - even ones on the West Coast! And you will also find it at any mall food court as well, probably from any vendor who sells fries.

THE place for poutine in montreal : http://www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca/menu.html

poutine with foie gras!!

That's a trumped up version of poutine. The best poutine is served in small hole-in-the-wall type places, diners and greasy spoons. The best chains for poutine in Quebec are Lafleur and La Belle Province (although it varies from location to location as they seem to be franchises).

Here's a blog all about poutine in Montreal in case you want to know how serious we take it: http://www.montrealpoutine.com/reviews.html

Heck, I don't even know what cheese curds even are! Looks like tofu but perhaps I will try it and see how it is.

A Wisconsin Cheesehead to the rescue! Cheese curds have the consistency of the cheese they're made of, with the delightful addition that if you eat them alone (presumably without gravy) they squeak softly against your teeth. They're a bit saltier than the regular cheese, but they're delicious. They look a bit like irregular pebbles.

founders1.jpg

Mmm... as a Canadian, I have to admit I LOVE LOVE LOVE poutine and could definitely live off of it (except the fat content would probably kill me first! haha). Harvey's does have it and it's pretty good, but I find it quite salty and there are places that are better. I think the best poutine is at New York Fries (generally located in mall food-courts), but I live in Toronto and am not sure if they have New York Fries in B.C., and if so, how many. Also I know McDonalds used to have it here, but not anymore - I guess it didn't do so well.

Anyway wherever you can track it down, it IS worth trying, but all poutine is not equal! :)

I lived in Ottawa for three years when I was in High School and I loved the stuff. We had in our schools and they sold it at McDonalds. Now I will need to make some up and introduce DW to it, I doubt she will try it!

oh just for old times sake... take off hoser and ah!!!

• 3 months later...

No no no, Harvey's or Mcdonald's poutine are not the real deal, just some poor imitation. You need to go to a diner or those small type restaurants for real poutine. It is DELISH, when it's made with freshly cut potatoes, good cheese and tasty gravy. And yeah, you'll find them all over Quebec. Don't know about other provinces.

I lived in Ottawa for three years when I was in High School and I loved the stuff. We had in our schools and they sold it at McDonalds. Now I will need to make some up and introduce DW to it, I doubt she will try it!

oh just for old times sake... take off hoser and ah!!!

for the record it's eh! lol

The best poutine I ever had was in Ottawa at the Elgin Street diner (which I happened to live above)...needless to say it was a go to food after a night at the pub. I know KFC sells it here too but it's not very good. You need good cheese curds and a killer gravy wo make it worth eating.

They're usually in Quebec, I don't think you can fin them in other provinces. If you can grab one and can't find any other place to eat one, go for it. But if you're in Quebec they are not the real deal and you'll find tastier poutine than the one's at Mcd's. hmmmm poutine

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Mmm... as a Canadian, I have to admit I LOVE LOVE LOVE poutine and could definitely live off of it (except the fat content would probably kill me first! haha). Harvey's does have it and it's pretty good, but I find it quite salty and there are places that are better. I think the best poutine is at New York Fries (generally located in mall food-courts), but I live in Toronto and am not sure if they have New York Fries in B.C., and if so, how many. Also I know McDonalds used to have it here, but not anymore - I guess it didn't do so well.

Anyway wherever you can track it down, it IS worth trying, but all poutine is not equal! :)

I have to agree. The poutine from New York fries is awesome! Something about the gravy there.

I recall going to New York Fries one time. After I placed my order, the girl was making the fries and asked me if I knew how many calories a poutine had. I replied No. Then she told me that there was over 2,000 calories in one of their poutines. Well that made me feel guilty and it almost spoiled my lunch, but I quickly forgot about what she said when I started eating the poutine. At least the girl didn't call poutine a "heart attack in a cup"!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband loves poutine. We used to live in Northern Vermont near the Canadian border so a lot of places serve it. One snack bar type place also put bacon on their poutine. Talk about a heart attack in a box!

Cheese curds just sound bad, it is just cheese before it is pressed into block form as far as I know.....maybe it is different but I don't think so.

• 2 weeks later...

I like fries; I like gravy; and I like cheese curds ( clumps of mild, very fresh cheese ) However, I dont like any of those things combined with the other. I am Canadian, and live in Ottawa, which is very near La Belle Province! But I am not a fan of poutine. I saw on TV the other day that a native Quebecer opened a Poutine place in New York City. Cant remember the name of the place, but it is in or near the theater district. :)

Archived