Los Angeles Airport / San Pedro

taxmantoo

We will be arriving on an evening flight from Canada at 8:30 pm at LAX and sailing out of San Pedro the next morning.

We feel it will be too late to go to San Pedro on arrival, as we will be hungry and tired, so are looking for a good hotel near the Airport. Any suggestions? A good restaurant in the hotel would be a great bonus. I imagine taxis are quite cheap and readily available so a shuttle is not really important to us.

What is the easiest way to get to San Pedro the next morning? Some sort of shuttle or a taxi?

A few things here...

I'm going to point out (because after me, a few others will naturally come in here and point this out):

At 8:30 PM, it's not really that late in the grand scheme of things - and there won't be much traffic - so you can just head down to San Pedro.

Click on all of my thread/links to get pics and info of the places I'm going to recommend.

At that time for your situation, I would definitely only book the Crowne Plaza.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

As there is a lot more around that hotel (restaurant wise) really close.

Some people may recommend Doubletree, but they don't have any restaurants really close and convenient for that late for you.

Now, back on your original question - as I think your idea is not a bad one.

Click on this thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=900986

These are the only three hotels that I recommend for staying near LAX.

For your situation, Foghorn Inn could be great - as they have the fantastic Cheesecake Factory right next door to eat!

Radisson Culver City Westside could be great as well, as you have Dinah's across the street - but Saturday night all the restaurants at the Howard Hughes Promenade will be available as well.

Hacienda would be my third choice behind both of those.

Any of the other hotels directly at LAX, I don't recommend at all - as you are just stuck there in the hotel at their mercy for room service.

So click on that thread above, and let me know if those work for you.

They'd be very nice to stay in over night and the next morning - and then you can easily get a SuperShuttle to the pier on Sunday morning when there is little to no traffic.

Here's what I'd do:

Yes, by the time you get out of the airport, it's a little late...likely after 9--midnight "your time"...

BUT...San Pedro is really only 20 miles from LAX...on a Saturday night after 9, a taxi can get you there in under a half an hour...

I'd get the ride out of the way that night...check into the Crowne Plaza and head to this establishment if hungry:

http://sanpedrobrewing.com/index.html

...virtually in the shadow of the Crowne Plaza...

...or here, also right nearby:

http://www.nikospizzeria.com/

Grab some food without too much fuss then head back to the CR...

The great part about this plan is no stress...You can then "sleep in" if you want the following morning...You don't have to worry about getting TO San Pedro (You can just take the hotel's free shuttle to the port)...You can sleep, then lounge around the hotel if you want until you're ready to check out and head for the ship...Time is no issue since the ship is literally five minutes away...

Really all you save by staying at LAX is about 20 minutes of taxi time...IF THAT...You see, if you take a taxi to SR, you grab the first taxi and you're off...Staying at an LAX hotel means you are waiting for their shuttle (no taxi is going to want to take you from LAX to an LAX hotel), so, depending on how long it takes for the shuttle to come pick you up, you're just eating into that 20 minutes...

Thank you both, Steve and Curt. You guys are an endless source of information on your area.

Certainly a lot to consider for our first ever trip to LA but your comments and suggestions will be considered very seriously. Thank you both again!

Archived