More additional charges

k2

We were on the 1/27 sailing of the Voyager. Just wanted to post a quick note to let you know of an additional charge that has seemingly gone unnoticed.

It seems that for one reason or another we are either sailing on someones birthday or an anniversary. In the past, if you told your waiter in the dining room of this "special occassion", they would bring out a cake with candles and sing to you. This past week we were celebrating a birthday on ship. We told the waiter and his response was "I will take care of it! I need your card because WE ARE NOW CHARGING FOR IT". This is new... Just like the JR's thing. It cost $7.95, which I do not feel is excessive, but I am starting to feel that they are nickle and diming us where ever they can.

Just wanted to give you all the heads up!

They will bring a piece of cake with a candle & sing free of charge, least thats what they did for us twice. I bought the big cake (about 7 inch round double layer) once but no one was able to eat it anyway as we were all stuffed from dinner.

Bon Voyage

Dawna

My dh laughed at me on our last cruise (Carnival) because I refused to pay $1 for a cookie. I told him it was the principle behind it - why should I have to pay for a cookie. They had a small little bakery type place. In the seven days on the boat I never saw anyone purchase one of the cookies or cake slices. They would eventually take the cookies to the kids in the Adventures Club place which made me even more frustrated - why couldn't I get one.

I know it's not a big thing - I just felt nickle and dimed at every turn. I am all for splurging on vacation, but come on - let's be reasonable.

They have been doing it for well over a year now. It is nice to go thru more evenings without hearing Tonto, Tarzan and Frankenstein singing happy birthday, anniversary, or whatever. Anyone remember the SNL skit with Phil Hartman, et al singing at holidays on the show. If you listen to them singing it on a cruise ship you can't help but be overwhelmed with the similarities.:D

JMHO

jc

We were on the 1/27 sailing of the Voyager. Just wanted to post a quick note to let you know of an additional charge that has seemingly gone unnoticed.

It seems that for one reason or another we are either sailing on someones birthday or an anniversary. In the past, if you told your waiter in the dining room of this "special occassion", they would bring out a cake with candles and sing to you. This past week we were celebrating a birthday on ship. We told the waiter and his response was "I will take care of it! I need your card because WE ARE NOW CHARGING FOR IT". This is new... Just like the JR's thing. It cost $7.95, which I do not feel is excessive, but I am starting to feel that they are nickle and diming us where ever they can.

This may have started the beginning of 2004. We were charged $7.95 for celebration cakes on our February sailing on Explorer.

I'll never cruise RCL again.

First it was the charge for Johnny Rockets (never been on a ship that has one), then it was giving the room stewards more rooms to clean. Now they are charging for birthday cakes and removing towels from saved pool side loungers after only 30 minutes so that someone who is actually there can use them!

This is outrageous!

Listed on their web site under the extras that you can purchase on board is "Birthday and Anniversary Cakes, 7" round - $7.95". I thought this was crazy since Carnival always brought them out for free, but I guess it's a new thing. I won't be paying for it! Why should I? I can order as many pieces of cake as I want to for dessert and make a FREE cake out of it!:mad:

I'm not paying $8.00 for a candle!!

As posters above have stated, this charge has been in place for some time now. The waiters inform you about it BEFORE you order. I believe that this was done NOT for revenue enhancement but to cut down on the waste, as several others have said. I, for one, am GLAD for that, and CERTAINLY agree with jc that the NOISE POLLUTION has declined, too!

Carol

Listed on their web site under the extras that you can purchase on board is "Birthday and Anniversary Cakes, 7" round - $7.95". I thought this was crazy since Carnival always brought them out for free, but I guess it's a new thing. I won't be paying for it! Why should I? I can order as many pieces of cake as I want to for dessert and make a FREE cake out of it!:mad:

I'm not paying $8.00 for a candle!!

They are now searching luggage for candles and confiscating them. Also, RCCL has instituted a "lightage" fee if you do sneak your own candle on board. :D

What's that.....charging for something EXTRA?? Whew......thanks for the heads up!! :rolleyes: I guess we won't stretch any birthday or anniversary dates more than a few days....weeks...or months! :rolleyes:

Amen for a little more peace & quiet! :) :)

They have been doing it for well over a year now. It is nice to go thru more evenings without hearing Tonto, Tarzan and Frankenstein singing happy birthday, anniversary, or whatever. Anyone remember the SNL skit with Phil Hartman, et al singing at holidays on the show. If you listen to them singing it on a cruise ship you can't help but be overwhelmed with the similarities.:D

JMHO

jc

ROFLMAO!!! Now, I can't stop hearing them sing! Kind of like on a Christmas story at the end...."Fa ra ra ra ra ra ra ra"!:p

They will bring a piece of cake with a candle & sing free of charge, least thats what they did for us twice. I bought the big cake (about 7 inch round double layer) once but no one was able to eat it anyway as we were all stuffed from dinner. Bon Voyage Dawna

When the cakes were free, how many of you actually ATE the cake? A few years ago D/W and I received an anniversary cake, but we couldn't eat it. Took the cake back to our cabin, where it was eventually thrown away.

I had noticed the change on our Explorer cruise last October.

I was very happy with it.

As has been stated it has been a waste, most were not eaten.

I was getting very tired of the singing, 5 to 10 times EVERY NIGHT!

You can still have them put a candle in your regular desert.

If it saves them a few bucks and helps keep the pricing from going up, GREAT

Just last Sat. night on Radiance, it was my son-in-law's 40th birthday -- when I told the head waitress, she asked me whether I wanted a whole cake @ $7.95 or a free slice with candle -- of course the slice, since the rest of us wanted various desserts offered that night -- so Rob got his a slice of cake with a lighted candle and a group of waiters sang "Happy B'day"!!!

Archived