Advice on Christmas cruises

My husband and I are planning to go on a cruise around Christmas season this year. Probably to the Caribbean:) or Hawaii:p.

I would like to ask for your advice on how far in advance we should do it. As soon as possible or can we possibly wait till October-November? Any idea about how fast the holiday season cruises get booked?

I did the search on this board, but could not find any relevant information.

Thank you in advance,

Chelsea

A very popular time of year, and a time when they usually get the highest prices for a cabin. If you want a cabin, get it now (not sure how the economy will affect this coming Christmas season cruising), but at least you will have it, and if the price goes down, you can still get the lower price right up until final payment (70 days from the cruise).

My husband and I are planning to go on a cruise around Christmas season this year. Probably to the Caribbean:) or Hawaii:p.

I would like to ask for your advice on how far in advance we should do it. As soon as possible or can we possibly wait till October-November? Any idea about how fast the holiday season cruises get booked?

Thank you in advance,

Chelsea

Holiday cruises normally sell out well in advance, as it is one of the few times during the school year that families can cruise.

I would suggest booking as soon as the cruise opens up for the best selection of staterooms.

Remember, if the price drops before final payment date, you can usually get a price reduction. Although most holiday cruises are quite a bit more expensive then the ones right before or right after the holiday season.

Holiday cruises normally sell out well in advance, as it is one of the few times during the school year that families can cruise.

I would suggest booking as soon as the cruise opens up for the best selection of staterooms.

Remember, if the price drops before final payment date, you can usually get a price reduction. Although most holiday cruises are quite a bit more expensive then the ones right before or right after the holiday season.

do I hear an echo?:)

We are booked on the Ruby 12/20/09. Our balcony price has dropped once which I find unusal. The Holiday cruises fill quickly, so pick your cabin, book it and begin your planning. ;)

Don

Thank you in advance,

Chelsea

Hi chelsea, just to reiterate what everyone else has said. Christmas time can be very busy and to get a good choice of cabins..... the earlier the better. we always cruise at christmas and have usually booked by january of the year we are travelling,except last year when we went to australia when we were booked by the previous october:eek: . But you must understand for us it is slightly different because flights from london at that time of year sell out very quickly. Good luck:)

bullstick:cool:

I have been on a Christmas and New year cruise for the past six years. This year we have opted to fly out on the 26th December.

My advise would be as others have said book as soon as you can they sell out very quickly and you also need to quick to get the cabin of your choice. I always book mine on the first day bookings open.

I'm waiting for the Asia and Australian itinerary's to added for 2010/2011 to book our next Christmas cruise :D

I booked the Ruby for Christmas this year in January, and the price has come down a bit since then (depending on what category of course - balconies have dropped the most). I expect these cruises to be the most expensive, so I was pretty surprised to see this. Maybe Princess expects less to travel at holiday time, given airline prices and the economy.

Christmas cruises are quite popular, so expect a full ship and a lot of kids/teens aboard. It's a lovely time to cruise, and the nice touches Princess adds for the holiday season are great.

Thank you all.

Now that I am working full time I can really appreciate longer vacations around holiday season. Especially when one wants to escape Canadian winters.

We would not worry about the flights as my DH has family living both in Fort Lauderdale and LA. We normally spend time with them before and after the cruise.

It’s just the question of choosing the right dates and itinerary for now.

Chelsea

We are on the Golden for the Hawaii Christmas and New Years cruise - I know our dinner seating has already filled up its "wait list" only. Many of the cabin categories are full as well. Dont wait too long!

I've taken quite a few holiday cruises in the past and had to book in January or February to get the best price and cabin location. These cruises were always sold out by March. Perhaps with the economy, it's a bit different but that's been my experience. I've also taken holiday cruises from FLL and LA, and the ones from LA were always much better; a lot fewer rude people, fewer rude kids, etc. If you're thinking of the 14-day HI cruise, there will be a lot fewer kids. If it doesn't make any difference to you, I'd take the HI cruise over the Caribbean in a heartbeat.

We took a cruise on the Coral from FLL a few years back over the Christmas Holidays. I would not recommend booking a Caribbean cruise at this time---too many kids, too many people, expensive fares, etc. None of this was Princess' "fault"---they did a fine job with the cruise, but I prefer to go at non-peak times. I suspect the week immediately after New Years would be a very inexpensive time to cruise.

If you are not picky about cabins, you can wait. Otherwise, book as soon as you can. Two years ago, I had to cancel a summer cruise and switched to a Christmas cruise. In June, there was only one mini-suite left. I really enjoyed the Christmas cruise.

Based on all your posts I can definitely say there are more things to consider.

Pam – I would love to go to Hawaii. Actuall,y that was our original plan for the next cruise. But when my DH learned that it has lots of sea days, he was not so sure anymore. That’s why we are considering 10-day Caribbean now.

Cruzendude and Stephenandrew - I don’t think I would like to have too many rowdy kids running around during my cruise. Mind you, I don’t have anything against well behaved cute little ones.

Tak8 - We are not too picky about the cabin. I would not mind booking a guarantee and wait for an upgrade, the way it happened during our last cruise on the Island.

BTW, we cruised twice at the beginning of December. Maybe this time we will try early January.

Chelsea

Archived