Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Thanks Ken, I appreciate you getting back to me. I looked at the pictures. Very nice. Got a glimpse from your pictures of what I have to look forward to. Being

we are sailing the Ms Veendam.

Thanks again,

Lulu

By the way, hows the weather? :) We will be heading that way Friday.

Ken,

Not sure of the exact name of this hotel, but I have it on hold. Looks like a nice area, says it's on the water, and a nice breakfast is included. Wanted to know what you thought of it - also has a free airport shuttle service. Wasn't too successful with pricing on all of the other suggested hotels on this board. Some even showed "no availability", and we're not going until 2/18/06!!! So I figured I'd book this one, and if something better comes along, I can change it. Priceline seems to complicated for me - have never used it . . .:)

Carnival Queen - That Hampton Inn is fine. It's in a nice, clean, quiet area. The hotel is your normal Hampton Inn with inside room entry. It is about a block from the water, but it's not a beach. The area this is in has office buildings, hotels, some restaurants, and some nice apartment complexes. My office is a few blocks from this hotel on the other end of Rocky Point, so I'm in the area frequently. There are close places to eat too, like the Bahama Breeze (that's across the street), the Green Iguana next to the Days Inn, Landry's Seafood up on the main road, and others close by. This is a couple of miles W. of the Tampa Intl Airport, and it's close to the Chase Suites that we have discussed in this thread.

Ken

Thanks Ken, Hertz won't let me return a rental at the port, they say it has to go to Brandon and they will shuttle us back to the port. Your suggestion for the shuttle service was great except that they don't go to St. Petersburg airport and the shuttle that works out of St. Pete, doesn't go toTampa. It looks like a rental is our best bet unless you have a better idea. As everyone on the thread is saying "you da man"

Joe & MaryAnn

Carnival Queen - That Hampton Inn is fine. It's in a nice, clean, quiet area. The hotel is your normal Hampton Inn with inside room entry. It is about a block from the water, but it's not a beach. The area this is in has office buildings, hotels, some restaurants, and some nice apartment complexes. My office is a few blocks from this hotel on the other end of Rocky Point, so I'm in the area frequently. There are close places to eat too, like the Bahama Breeze (that's across the street), the Green Iguana next to the Days Inn, Landry's Seafood up on the main road, and others close by. This is a couple of miles W. of the Tampa Intl Airport, and it's close to the Chase Suites that we have discussed in this thread.

Ken

Thanks again Ken for all your help - you're unbelievable!!! Just had a chance to check out some of your photos - absolutely beautiful!

Sue

lillulu - It's supposed to start raining later on Friday, and during the night, clearing on Saturday morning. It should be clear Saturday PM, and even nicer on Sunday and Monday. High Saturday is about 72, the low Saturday night, 51. If you sail Saturday, it should be nice weather when you leave.

Robby_Christopher - I like to go to Tia's Tex-Mex which is on the entry road into the mall S. off of Hwy 60 (Brandon Blvd) just E. of I-75. It's just up the block on the right(2nd driveway on the right). As far as Cuban restaurants (I love those places), there are none close to where you are staying, and none in the area of the mall on Hwy 60 where I was describing all the restaurants. There are a couple of small Cuban places in Brandon (the unincorporated town just E of I-75 along Hwy 60), but I might get you lost trying to give directions. The best Cuban restaurants are in either Ybor City or West Tampa. Most of them are small, and they give you a big plate full for a small price. If you were staying out in the W. Tampa area, I'd send you to LaTerrasita Restaurant on W. Columbus Drive. I've got my self hungry talking about Cuban food.

buckeyecruisers - Yes - I was thinking rental all along. This area just doesn't have adequate mass transit. also, for various reason, the Tampa Bay area is kind of split down the middle of the bay. St. Pete and Clearwater does their thing, and Tampa does theirs - separately. It's strange that the shuttles don't want to cross the bridges, when people are paying them to do so. By the way, I heard one time that Hertz operates out of the Marriott Waterside Hotel near the cruise terminals in the S end of the Tampa business district. If that's the case, you could drop your party and luggage at the ship, take the car to the Marriott and drop it, then walk out front and jump on a street car that will take you back down to the terminal areas.

ferge - Those hotels are basically in the same area, maybe a mile or less apart, and in the Westshore Business District. As far as "location", they are about the same. The Embassy Suites Hotel is across the street from the Westshore Plaza Mall. It's a nice place with shopping, movies, and some good restaurants on the property. The Hilton Airport is across the road from the large upscale mall, International Plaza. There are 3 restaurants on the same side of the main road as the Hilton (Hilton is just S. of Boy Scout Blvd on Lois) - Leroy Selmon's BBQ, Flemings Steakhouse, and Roys. There's a Cheesecake Factory and some other places in an area on the back side of International Plaza. If you want to do something in Tampa such as visit the Lowry Park Zoo, the Florida Aquarium, Channelside District, Busch Gardens, etc, these hotels are about the same distance away. Somewhere up the thread I put some links for some of these places. If you want further details, post here or e-mail me.

Ken

Ken,

Not sure of the exact name of this hotel, but I have it on hold. Looks like a nice area, says it's on the water, and a nice breakfast is included. Wanted to know what you thought of it - also has a free airport shuttle service. Wasn't too successful with pricing on all of the other suggested hotels on this board. Some even showed "no availability", and we're not going until 2/18/06!!! So I figured I'd book this one, and if something better comes along, I can change it. Priceline seems to complicated for me - have never used it . . .:)

Carnival queen,

I also got the "no availability" on the Chase Suites webiste for 02/25/06. I then used the email link and got a reply back from the manager in a few days. She was very helpful. I'm not sure if I could post her email address on this thread.

I booked a 2 bedroom suite at 119.00 and 149.00 (Night prior) . the 149.00 is the ship and sail rate so essentially they are charging me 30 for the shuttle to the ship.

Bob

glsgus-I have not stayed at the Ashley Plaza Hotel, I was considering it one time till I read the reviews on travelocity. There are 4 reviews there, 1 person gave it 2* everyone else rated it 1* out of 5. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news just thought you would want to know.

I guess that hotel has seen it's better days. It still looks OK from the outside, but those review are terrible. I hope this hasn't turned into one of those dumps operated by foreigners. I would never want to park my car there at night. They have an open lot, and the low income housing projects are just down the street to the west.

Ken

Bob - Are you sure about that? For dates I booked this summer, the rate for a two-bedroom at Woodfin (Chase) Suites is $139 and on the ship-to-shore package, it's $149. So they are charging $10 for transport to/from the pier and for parking our car at the hotel while we're cruising (which costs $10 per day at the port). The $119 rate is for the ship-to-shore package for a studio suite (no separate bedroom), which can be had for $99 without the package. Maybe it's the difference between summer and winter rates?

Thanks MDC99 and Ken fortunatelyI didnt get a room there I was just looking around and I came across it and was wondering why no one had mentioned it, now I know why. I also did a little research online and I could not find one good review of Ashley plaza. I ended up booking a room at the Wyndham Westshore. thanks again for your help

Russ

Ken,

You are such a great help on this thread and I'm not sure you are viewing or responding to any other.

I book the Chase Suites hotel and I staying 3 post cruise days. Sun-Weds. They will shuttle me to the airport for free to rent a car , however I don't want to pay the Extra Airport Car Rental surcharge/taxes that most cities apply.

Do you know which Enterprise car rental (5 listed but not all have Sunday hours) is nearest to the Chase? Would it be close enough for them to pick me up and drop me off as they advertise?

Thanks

Bob

Bob - Are you sure about that? For dates I booked this summer, the rate for a two-bedroom at Woodfin (Chase) Suites is $139 and on the ship-to-shore package, it's $149. So they are charging $10 for transport to/from the pier and for parking our car at the hotel while we're cruising (which costs $10 per day at the port). The $119 rate is for the ship-to-shore package for a studio suite (no separate bedroom), which can be had for $99 without the package. Maybe it's the difference between summer and winter rates?

Now I'm not so sure so I guess I should write back and confirm.. I didn't really ask for a 2 bedroom I just asked for a Suite. I was quoted $119.00 on all days except the Departure Sunday which is $149.00 (ship to shore). I'm not paying $149.00 on my return Sunday even though I'll have a post stay.

Thanks for questioning. I don't need all that room but if it is much nicer I'd want it.

BF_Philly - Bob, I looked at the Enterprise web site and pulled up the Tampa page. It shows 15 locations. It brings up 5 at a time, and there's a place to click in the upper right hand corner to look at the others. They have a place in the airport, and there is one on W. Spruce St. which would be the closest to the Chase Suites. The location on W. Spruce is along the S. boarder of the airport. It doesn't take very long to go to Rocky Point from the W. Spruce address.

I follow some other threads, like roll calls of cruises I have booked, and I do look at the main boards for HAL and Celebrity quite often. It's easy to find me here though, since I subscribe to this thread and check it almost every day unless I'm out of town on business.

Ken

Cracker Ken - I know this is off topic, you have been in M773 inside cabin, we are looking at the Oct. 27, 2006 Australia cruise and I wondering what your thoughts would be on that cabin or M769 compared to an inside in Cat K (582 for ex.). I looked at your pictures and it (1875 on the Rotterdam) looks very roomy.

BF_Philly - Bob, I looked at the Enterprise web site and pulled up the Tampa page. It shows 15 locations. It brings up 5 at a time, and there's a place to click in the upper right hand corner to look at the others. They have a place in the airport, and there is one on W. Spruce St. which would be the closest to the Chase Suites. The location on W. Spruce is along the S. boarder of the airport. It doesn't take very long to go to Rocky Point from the W. Spruce address.

I follow some other threads, like roll calls of cruises I have booked, and I do look at the main boards for HAL and Celebrity quite often. It's easy to find me here though, since I subscribe to this thread and check it almost every day unless I'm out of town on business.

Ken

Ken,

I saw 15 locations but none on Spruce St. Is it under another name?

Thanks

Bob

Bob - Here's a link - it was located in the 3rd batch of 5 selections for Tampa - http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/location.do?viewSelectedLocationId=4255&transactionId=WebTransaction1

boards - Yes, we were in M773 on the Ryndam, which is the same on the Veendam and other S ships. DW was in M773 on Veendam. Nice cabin, and roomy like 1875 on the Rotterdam. Our steward on the Ryndam called it an "inside suite." I agree with him. The only difference, is there is 1 less closet segment in 773 than in 1875. I don't know why the closet difference exists, but the room appears to be the same size. We still manages OK in 773. Sonya was on a 14 day with her mother in 773, and it worked for them. We were together on the Ryndam for 8 days, and it was fine. I don't think the closet space difference is a huge issue. We love those "inside suites."

By the way - on the Vista class HAL ships, there are some "sideways" type cabins that are listed as "standard" size cabins, such as 5005 (that's where we were). Don't book one of those. They are very tiny, like maybe 115 sq ft, max. It was cramped. Some folks on the HAL board argued with me about the size one time, but I know what it was since I experienced it. Some other people finally backed me up on it, and Host Doug even thought 115 might be larger than it really is. We were surprised, since we thought they would be the size of those on the S class ships. Never more.

CruisinRin - Corrine - It's roughly 7.6 miles from I-75 and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd to 18th St. and 7th Ave in Ybor City (per MapQuest). This hotel is way out E of town in an office park. Somewhere back on the thread I was helping someone else with that area and we covered local restaurants and such. There's plenty of night life down there in Ybor City, that's for sure. This is a very nice hotel.

Ken

Ken,

It looks like you are somewhat of an expert on hotels in the Tampa area. I have been reading through the numerous posts on this thread and I have to admit that there are so many posts, my head is spinning. Can you tell me what areas to avoid at any cost? We will be staying in January 06 pre-cruise and just now starting to research places to stay. Would we be better off staying at a hotel in the airport area and taking a cab to the port or staying by the port. We probably will not arrive unti the evening prior to the cruise so sightseeing is not a probability. Just need something clean, safe and reasonable.

On the other hand, we will be staying a night after the cruise and would like a place that is all of the above with a nice pool.

Finally, are you familiar with the Doubletree Suites on N. Rocky Point Drive? If so, what are your impressions?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Injun Joe in St. Louis

injunjoe - I'm familiar with the location of the Double Tree Suites on Rocky Point Drive. The regional office for my employer is just down the street and I'm in the area frequently. Rocky Point is quiet, clean, and and I consider it to be a safe area. Most Double Tree Hotels are nice places, about equal to Crowne Plaza or many Sheratons, but I don't know much specific about the inside of this hotel. Several people have booked the Chase Suites on Rocky Point Drive and have found reasonable prices there. Chase Suites looks like an apartment complex. Posters say they Chase Suites can hook you up with transport to the cruise terminal's too. There's a nice restaurant right next door to Chase Suites, called Bahama Breeze, and there are others just down the street. There's also a Hampton Inn and a Holiday Inn Express on Rocky Point. On the S end of Rocky Point Drive there's a placed call Sailport Resort, which is vacation condos overlooking the bay. They are very adequate, but not fancy.

If you want to stay at the port, it will cost you. The nearest hotel to the port is the Marriott Waterside Hotel, and it's not cheap. The do have a nice pool area. I have pictures of this hotel in my Tampa photo album (see my link to my albums at Yahoo in my signature below).

There is a Courtyard by Marriott and a Residence Inn downtown as well, but they are on the opposite side of the downtown area from the cruise terminals. There is a Hampton Inn in the Ybor City area, about a mile or so from the terminals (I don't know about a pool there, but they probably have one.

If you stay downtown, like at the Marriott Waterside, you will have close access to the street car system which can take you to the Channelside complex (restaurants, entertainment) and on up to the Ybor City area

In addition, hotels in the Westshore area of Tampa (close to the airport) are in a safe and clean area of town.

Do not stay in the area of Busch Gardens. I also suggest avoiding hotels around 50th St and I-4 as well.

If any further questions, just ask.

Ken

Thank you for your help Ken. We are booked at the Doubletree Suites for $99/night. Chase Suites wanted $149/night.

Still going to be looking for a place post-cruise on 1/12 but everywhere seems to be alot higher. Must be something going on that weekend??