Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

KENMO,

Channelside Marriott...

If I were cruising out of Tampa (and did not live here)...this would be the place!!!

It is like going to Ft Lauderdale and staying at Pier 66. Lots to do close by

Channelside can be great the night befor a cruise..

Attention Tampa experts what is happening in Tampa last week of May begining June next Year??? Several hotels are sold out I wonder why??

Well thanks for the bait...I'll bite...tell us which ones and where the info is from.

Attention Tampa experts what is happening in Tampa last week of May begining June next Year??? Several hotels are sold out I wonder why??

I'm not familiar with anything big that is going on, unless there is a convention that is taking alot of rooms. I think more likely it is a case of looking so far ahead, some hotels (and/or booking sites) do not allow you to book more than 300-365 days ahead. If there is a certain hotel you are interested in I would check with them directly.

Cracker Ken: If we wanted to travel down the Channelside area from the Springhill Suites, can you tell us how we might do it. Is it too far to go (cost wise by taxi) if so what is there to see around the hotel? Hope I haven;t asked this before?

Well up to now both the Marriott Westshore & the Residence Inn have said they don't have any inventory for 20 rooms.... now maybe they just don't want any small groups or they have already used the group space for that time frame - who knows. As I don´t live in the US I was just checking if I had missed some sort of vacation time there. During vacation times it is hard to get groups in to hotels so that is why I asked - not to stir up something!!

boards - It's about 7 miles to Channelside from Springhill Suites. It's a couple of miles closer to the port than the airport. The taxi ride from the airport to the port is about $20, so it might be a little cheaper to get to Channelside from the Springhill Suites. The area of the Springhill Suites has a couple of nice malls nearby (blocks in either direction, N or S), and that's about it. If you can manage to get down to the Channelside complex, I think you would like it.

Moeve - I agree with mdc99. You might be trying to book too early. Check with the hotel via phone, since the web site might not allow bookings over a year out. In addition to those Marriott properties, you might try the Tampa Airport Hilton, the Wyndham Westshore, the Grand Hyatt, or the Springhill Suites (on W. Cypress St) in Tampa. Those are all close to the Tampa International Airport and are large hotels.

Ken

Cracker Ken,

I just wanted to thank you for all your assistance with Tampa hotels--such a big help when we start planning our trip next year. Also, I have to throw this in - the LeRoy Selmon of the BBQ restaurant you mentioned grew up right in my hometown of Eufaula, Oklahoma! :) He, and his two equally-talented football-playing brothers all played right here at the University of Oklahoma before going on to pro fame. Their father has operated a very delicious BBQ restaurant in Eufaula for many, many years. Just had to throw that tidbit in! Thanks again for all your help!

jimbug - Thanks. That's some interesting info about the Selmon's. I didn't know about their dad running the BBQ place in Eufaula. Years ago I used to buy Selmon Brothers BBQ at the grocery store but I don't find it anymore. Leroy Selmon is a class act. That man has been an asset in the Tampa community over the years. The Tampa Crosstown Expressway was renamed the Leroy Selmon Expressway years ago. He deserved the recognition. Leroy Selmon's BBQ is gradually expanding, and it's part of the family of restaurants owned by the Outback Steakhouse group.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at the Embassy Suites in Tampa? We are needing a place for one night prior to cruising in Jan 2006. Just wondering if it's located in a good safe place?

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance-

Sue

Sue - That's an OK place. I used to work across the street. It's a clean area and there's not many problems around there. It appears to be a well kept property. There is a really nice mall directly across the street with nice stores, movies, and some nice restaurants, as well as a food court. I have pictures of this hotel in my Tampa album on my Yahoo photo album page (see the link in my signature block).

Ken

Ken-

Thanks so much for the info on the Embassy Suites. I'm going to book the Embassy since I'll be sharing the cost of the rooms....at $100.00 per couple I think that's reasonable including the breakfast buffet and airport transportation. I've stayed at several Embassy Suites & they are all similar.

Thanks again!

Sue

Just wanted some help in choosing a hotel in Tampa. I really, really need a hotel with a swim up bar! And also a hotel with port transfers and airport transfers. We have 2 children traveling with us and my brother's family with 2 teenagers. So a hotel near restaurants and activities would be great. Thanks guys you're the best!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the bump Cracker Ken. I have read every one of your posts since this entire thread started...and I STILL haven't picked a hotel. It's getting down to the wire now. I need one on AUgust 27. I rally wanted the Waterside Marriott, but I didn't want to pay for the balcony if I couldn't be guaranteed the view of the port...soooooYikes! You gave us so much info and SO many possibiliies that I just can't decide! You have been an awesome source...and this lurker simply wanted to thank you for all of the tips about the "not-so-desirable" parts of town.

I just wanted to post a warning about priceline. We had bid for the westshore area for sept this year. We bid 50 for 3 stars in the westshore area. We were "awarded" the Radisson bay harbor. We happened to drive by there yesterday and the place is by no means a 3 star hotel. Radisson is supposed to be a nice hotel but I really don't like the mold and Algae that were hanging off the entire side of the hotel. The whole place needs a paint job and the lobby area at first glance loooks nice but whilw your standing in the lobby you can see the wear and tear of the hotel. The bad part is that you are stuck with priceline and you do not know when you bid if you might get this hotel. I know alot of lucky people have gotten the Wyhdam and other nice hotels in the area but I hope none of you get stuck like we did.

I am a little more upset than normal because we are taking my SIL on her first cruise and we wanted everything to be nice. I quess that's what you get if you try to save a little money. I hope everyone has a great cruise. We will once we get out of the hotel. Cindy

More often then not Priceline tends to rate mediocre 2-2 1/2 star hotels as a 3 star. This has happened to me in Boca Raton, South Beach and recently, Tampa. I've emailed Priceline with my concerns but they stand by their ratings. The only way you can be assured of getting a decent 3* hotel is by booking a 4* hotel. ;)

love2relax - Mary, Thanks much. It's hard to say where you should end up. The Grand Hyatt on Courtney Campbell Causeway is a sure thing if you can come up with a good price there. It's a very nice hotel. It's a ways from the port, and probably about $20-$25 by taxi. I don't think they will take you to the port. I believe they offer airport pickup though, and it's right across the freeway from the airport. Down in the Westshore business district, you have a Hampton Inn, and those are consistently good places to stay. Still, the Priceline thing is "iffy" at best (that's why I don't use it). It just depends on the $$$ (doesn't it always.:rolleyes: ) If any questions, just ask.

Ken

Hi Cracker Ken and others, Thanks so much for all this great info about Tampa. We are sailing the Miracle August 7th and actually chose to stay at The Tampa Marriot Waterside for two days pre cruise $ 149.00 per night and we chose the Sailport Resort Suites $ 86.00 per night for one bedroom suite, for one day post cruise. I chose The Tampa Waterside because it is very close to thew port, has he Trolly available to take you to wherever you want to go and if you buy tickets to attractions, they will pick you up and bring you back right from the hotel. I chose Sailport Resort because it looked really laid back and pretty to relax after the cruise! Thanks again for all the postsand info! I really appreciate it!

I heard that there is a great restauraunt in Ybor City District called the Columbia restaurant, it is 100 years old and has Flamingo Dancers, has Spanish food. My parents went there 25 years ago and had a great time! Would you recommend this? Let me know.

Thanks again Cracker Ken!

oceanmysteries - Yes, the Columbia is still there. You should go if you get time. It's probably the same as it was when your parents were there 25 yrs ago. They have this really great salad there that they fix up at table side. It's called the 1904 Salad (something like that). Excellent. Also, it's rather convenient to the street car line. If you take the line to the E from the Marriott into Ybor City, down to the boarding gate at about 20th - 21st st, all you have to do is walk a block to the S. and you will be at the Columbia. It's on 7th Avenue (Broadway) between 21st and 22nd St. Actually, I think the street car line ends right there at about 21st St in front of the Sheriff's Office. Check with the street car conductor and see how late they are running. It would be bad to get stranded down there and have to take a cab back to the Marriott. That could ruin your budget quite fast. Have fun!

Ken

Hi Cracker Ken and others, Thanks so much for all this great info about Tampa. We are sailing the Miracle August 7th and actually chose to stay at The Tampa Marriot Waterside for two days pre cruise $ 149.00 per night and we chose the Sailport Resort Suites $ 86.00 per night for one bedroom suite, for one day post cruise. I chose The Tampa Waterside because it is very close to thew port, has he Trolly available to take you to wherever you want to go and if you buy tickets to attractions, they will pick you up and bring you back right from the hotel. I chose Sailport Resort because it looked really laid back and pretty to relax after the cruise! Thanks again for all the postsand info! I really appreciate it!

I heard that there is a great restauraunt in Ybor City District called the Columbia restaurant, it is 100 years old and has Flamingo Dancers, has Spanish food. My parents went there 25 years ago and had a great time! Would you recommend this? Let me know.

Thanks again Cracker Ken!

The Columbia is a must!!! It will be a hit.

Hi Cracker Ken, thanks for the directions to the Restaurant and I would love to try that salad! Thanks again for all of your time posting on this thread....that is so great of you !

Jessemon...Thanks for the recommendation! Looks like great fun, and great food....

Gizmo...Thanks for posting the Columbia Restaurant website, I really appreciate that ! The Columbia looks beautiful andf i lookedat their menu and Im getting hungry! Thanks fortaking the time to do that, again!

Hopefully I will make itthere....and i will post whenI get back to let you know how I enjoyed it! Susan