Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

I depend on your suggestions..have a GREAT cruise!!!!!

Jessemon, Signman, and anyone else that happens to be looking for me - I'm leaving Easter Sunday morning on our trans-Atlantic cruise. I hope to be back on 4/29, Saturday, 2 weeks from today, if Delta pilots don't strike (looks like they may not do that). Y'all hold down the fort. I'll check in when I get back.

Ken

I promised to write about the Renaissance when I returned from my cruise. WELLLLLLL it is just about the nicest place I've ever stayed in. I loved the service and the place is just beautiful. I asked for an early check in and was in my room by 12:30. The mall and eateries/bars were within a few steps from the hotel. What a lovely time I had there. There was a martini bar that was very popular with lots of tables on the outside to enjoy the beautiful weather. I ate at an Italian Restaurant there and then went to the Cheesecake Factory for a little dessert. I asked for Government Rate since I work for the state of Tennessee and my rate was $139 plus taxes. They didn't ask for any kind of identification though. I've asked for Gov't rate several times but no one ever asks for ID.

I would surely recommend this property for a great start to anyone's cruise.

hlfdzn- It been a little since I have been in there, but I don't remember seeing anything crazy. Although I take no responsibility for what you encounter... :D. I don't think you have anything to worry about. If your cruise is leaving saturday you won't have a problem getting to the sea port on time from pretty much any hotel in Tampa.

We will be staying there and would like to know if there is a store nearby(preferably selling beer and a bottle of vodka) that we can visit prior to boarding. Anyone know of anything nearby or on the way to the port?

Hey starketcher,

This is a tuffy. This has been brought up before about buying liquor in the downtown area. It is a big X unless something new has opened. Not to my knowlage. You can get beer and wine at the Publix Supermarket at the top of Bayshore Dr.. very close to you. If your driving we can get you directions. If cabbing it...they'll sit and wait while you go in. If "Vodka" is a must the closest place I can think of is on W. Kennedy it's an "ABC Liquor Store". My thought is if you are flying into Tampa ask the cabbie to stop on the way to the Courtyard. Tell him to go to the hotel via Kennedy. Kennedy Blvd is an alternitive route to the highway.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I booked the Marriott Residence Inn Westshore by the airport. Is this a nice hotel? Are there places to eat around there?

Also, we are leaving the next morning (Saturday) to go to Port Canaveral for our cruise. How much should I allow for the drive?

Thanks,

Howard

Howard, There's every kind of restaurant you could want just steps from your hotel. What do you like?

Figure about 3 hours to get to Port Canaveral. Be sure you take the Greenway to connect from I-4 to the Bee Line.

We will be driving over to tampa the day before our cruise. Looking for a upscale hotel with plenty of restaurant and bar choices nearby. Close to the pier. Would the Marriot fit this bill? Thanks for any help you could give.

Has someone stayed or can commend on the Best Western on Westshore Blvd.

We have some Gold Crown Club points we would like to use in November before our cruise. It doesn’t have to be fancy, just clean and in a safe area. Thanks.

We stayed at the Double Tree on Westshore. $84.00 bucks for the night and you can leave your car parked there for free. They take you and pick you up at the port. $84.00 rate was a Gov. rate and they didn't even ask to see your ID. Real busy there when we stayed but it wasn't a problem for us. I would stay there again. Kids LOVED the warm COOKIES!!

I am not driving so which is the best for 1 night pre cruise to see abit of Tampa

Tampa Marriott Westshore or Residence Inn on Boy Scout Boulevard ?

Thamsey,

They are a stones throw from each other. They are very near the airport. Two malls close by and many places to dine. If you are lookng to see a bit of Tampa this is an area you will need to hire a cab from. You will be close to the top of Tampa Bay itself.

If you want to see some of the historic sights such as Ybor City it is a 20 minute taxi ride. Busch Gardens is 25 minutes if you want thrills.

If you are just looking for a place to stay, shop and dine it is a great area to do that.

If you have not read through this thread you might want to take some time to do that. There are many suggestions of places to stay and things to do. It might help you if you had certin things in mind that you were looking to do.

Hope this helped.

Jeff

When's your cruise? I am staying there in 2 weeks and will let you know.

They do have transport to the port but not from TPA to the hotel.No airport shuttle was no big deal for us since our flight gets in at 1 am, most hotel shuttles stop at midnight.

When's your cruise? I am staying there in 2 weeks and will let you know.

They do have transport to the port but not from TPA to the hotel.No airport shuttle was no big deal for us since our flight gets in at 1 am, most hotel shuttles stop at midnight.

Not 'till August. I look forward to the report. Thanks!

Hello folks, I'm back from the cruise. We took a 12 day trans-Atlantic on Celebrity Century from Ft L'dale to Barcelona, Spain. Stops in Ponta Delgada, Azores; Lisbon, Portugal; and Cadiz, Spain. This was our first time across the Atlantic, and first time to Europe. It certainly won't be our last. We are already booked for a 14 night Eastern Med Cruise in Oct '07 (and others between now and then). It was a great cruise. Perfect weather in all ports of call. There was some rough weather out on the Atlantic, but it could have been a lot worse. Lucky for us, the wind was from our rear, which kept the pitching and rolling to a minimum. The Century is a very stable ship too.

Ken