Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Thanks for the reply about Brasa! I'm staying at the Holiday Inn at Rocky Point. Great reviews from everyone about this hotel. I appreciate your offer for directions from the airport. I'm the type of person that have a good sense of direction (very helpful when traveling). Can you tell me how close is the hotel to a Target or Wal-Mart? Somewhere for those last items. While on the Tampa website, I came across several places that I want to visit. Nothing is set in stone yet. I'm excited because I never been to Tampa before.

airlink diva,

Just leave the hotel and go east. Stay in the left lane. Get on the Veterans Exp. and get off at Waters Ave. Take a left. The Target is just before "Brassa". 5 minutes. 50 cent toll.

Jeff

have you tried or considered Chase Suites? They have two bedroom suites with a pull out sofa. They even have one bedroom suites with a pull-out and I think you can get two double beds. Depending on how you are traveling they have both a park and sail and a fly and sail packages that include either free parking and port transportation or transporation from the airport to the hotel to the port to the airport.

We enjoyed our stay there.

Those do sound great but now we have a change in plans. In the last day we have decided that we are going to drive down and stay probably up in Daytona or Daytona Beach and then get up the next morning and drive the rest of the way to the port. Since we are driving with 3 kids, they tend to get tired and this seems to work better for them if we can stop earlier in the day the day before and unpack at the hotel. We will be coming from SC. Now, I would love some great suggestions for Daytona or Daytona Beach. We really don't care to stay at the beach because it will be crowded that week. A nice hotel right near the highway in Daytona (hwy #4?) would be great. Thanks for any input!

Carter29072 - You could try to search up something in the area of US Hwy 92 and I-95. This is just to the W of the Daytona Intl Speedway. There's a strip of restaurants of various types. From there, it's easy to head E towards the beach, and easy to go W on 92, or I-95 just to the South and get on I-4 to head to Tampa. I would suggest going to http://www.hotels.com and search against Daytona Beach. Look for places near the Speedway, or on W. Speedway Blvd. I just checked, and there are some moderate hotels in that general area.

Ken

Carter29072 - You could try to search up something in the area of US Hwy 92 and I-95. This is just to the W of the Daytona Intl Speedway. There's a strip of restaurants of various types. From there, it's easy to head E towards the beach, and easy to go W on 92, or I-95 just to the South and get on I-4 to head to Tampa. I would suggest going to http://www.hotels.com and search against Daytona Beach. Look for places near the Speedway, or on W. Speedway Blvd. I just checked, and there are some moderate hotels in that general area.

Ken

Great Idea! I remember there being alot of dining and shopping around the speedway so I am sure that I can find a hotel around there. Thanks for this suggestion.

papanator - Don't stay there!!! That's not a good area at all. I wouldn't stay there if the room was free. It used to be a LaQuinta Inn, before they left and Days Inn bought it. That entire area of town is torn up with Interstate 4 contruction. It's a mess out there. That's not the only reason though - it's a bad area. Same goes for the Howard Johnson's on 50th St. at I-4.

Ken

Cracker Ken,

I am part of the party that is cruising with Papanator. Since the Days Inn seems to be out, can you recommend a hotel that offers a park and sail option? Your help is very much appreciated. It's amazing how nice a hotel/motel can look on the internet site!!!!!:)

pretty_in_pink - You might consider the Double Tree on W. Cypress. Several people have mentioned a park and ride option there. The Chase Suites on Rocky Point Drive is another possibility for that. Make sure you call these places on the phone an talk with them about your needs to verify the park/ride, or should I say park/sail option. These aren't close to the port, but close enough, and near the airport. There's a lot of info on both of these places not far up the thread.

imacrusing - The Sheraton on N. Ahsley Drive is a nice place. Recently remodeled and changed over to Sheraton. They have very nice bed mattresses at Sheratons. The place is right on the river in town. Not far from the port. You would have to be kind of high up in the hotel to be able to see the ships coming in. If on a lower floor, it wouldn't be possible. I stayed there one time when it was under another name, and all I could see were buildings across the street. In any instance, it's a nice hotel worthy of the Sheraton name.

Ken

I found a great rate at this hotel that serves our needs as it has both suites and regular rooms. I am cruising with family in November and I need a big room, but they only need a standard. It is the Hampton Inn and Suites at 8210 Hidden River Parkway. it shows it to be a bit north of the airport. Do you know anything about this? I have never stayed at a Hampton Inn I didn't like..just wondering about the local area. Thanks Melissa

PS:transportation is covered....neice works for Enterprise

hlfdzn - I agree regarding Hampton Inn's. We usually stay there or Holiday Inn Express. I do the same with business travel. This Hampton Inn is in a nice area. I was at a meeting next door in the office park this past Monday. However, this is not anywhere near the Tampa Intl Airport. It's on the far opposite side of town from the airport, as far away as you can get, and still call it Tampa. This is basically at the NE tip of Tampa. Tampa Intl Airport is on the far W. side of town. I don't know the exact miles from the airport, but it's probably around 12-15 miles. The map may show an airport S. of this location and not too far away, but that's a small airport called Vandenburg Airport. There is a Hampton Inn near Tampa Intl Airport. It should be listed on N. Westshore Blvd. There's also a Hampton Inn and a Holiday Inn Express at Rocky Point, which is also relatively close to the airport. Hope this helps.

Ken

I guess 12-15 miles does not seem like much to me (I drive for a living). Since we are renting a car, I figured, depending on when our flight would be, once we get to the hotel if it is a decent area we could find a nice place to eat, settle in and relax till the next morning. If I am reading the map right...the port would be on the way to drop off the rental in the am and I could drop most of the people there and they could wait till I got back on the shuttle. We would much rather get a rental than depend on a hotel shuttle. Like I said Neice works for Enterprise so it will be cheap/free. The rates are so much cheaper there than the others I was convinced it was in the ghetto LOL. Thanks so much for reassuring me that it is in a decent neighborhood. Is the only Walmart/ Grocery the one you mentioned earlier in this post? Last time I was in Tampa, I went to the Wallgreens near the port and they do not sell liquor. Thanks again for your help. Now I just have to convince Brother in law to get the time off in Nov so we can change the cruise.

The hotel is located on Fletcher Avenue just W of I-75. If you take Fletcher Avenue to the West, just past 30th St, on the N. side of the road, you will find a large Target store. If you were to get on I-75 at Fletcher and head N. to the next exit, Bruce B. Downs Blvd, you can find some decent places to eat. Not positive, but I think there's a Wal-Mart out there in that area (called New Tampa). Also, there's a Bob Evan's just down the street from the Hampton Inn. In that area, it's mostly office buildings, hotels, and a couple of restaurants (Bob Evans, Wendy's, Starbucks, and a Dunkin Donuts). Also, rather oddly, there's an old bait and tackle shop out there. It's been there a long time, but it no longer fits the area. It's quiet and peaceful out there. I drive for a living too, so 20-50 miles means nothing to me either, but I wanted to make sure you knew it wasn't close to the airport (like a couple of miles).

Ken

signman - Howard - Thanks much. No, we won't be spending any extra time over there, unless our return is delayed due to a potential airline strike with Delta. Celebrity put us on Delta since we bought cruise air. We are worried. So, we could end up with some time in Barcelona that we aren't planning on. We do have some stops in the Azores, Portugal, and Spain, before docking in Barcelona. I'll give y'all a report when we get back. This is our second time on Century. They didn't sell out this cruise, so maybe there are some upgrades available. I'd at least like to move across the hall to a cabin with a window. We don't want to move up high in the ship since we like being low in case of rough seas. We both take meclazine the entire trip and are capable of getting sea sick. I know the Atlantic can be bad at times. Hold down the fort here and I'll check in when we get back.

Ken

that place you speak of is right next to a small group of hotels right Cracker? Its not really a bait and tackle anymore. Its run by what I can best describe as two old hippies. They sell the coolest crap in there. I bought an old bowling pin and they sell bottles that they put metal caps or marbles in and then melt the bottles into wierd shapes trapping the marbles or objects in there. Anyway back on topic, if you stay at those hotels travel to the port can be time costly in the morning on a weekday since I-75 can be backed up all the way through I-4 which is your way to the port. The port is downtown and all the traffic in the morning heads toward downtown. IF you are not leaving on a weekday its very fast maybe 15-20 mins depending on your speed.

GarageTwoThree: Thanks for the info, that shop sounds like a place my teenage daughter might like to go look around in. It is appropriate for teens isn't it? I had been wondering about the traffic since I was told rush hour is nasty there...wondering how it can be worse than Chicago, but I guess anything is possible LOL. This cruise we are thinking of switching to leaves on a Saturday. We would be coming in Friday night though and depending on what time the flight comes in..we may have to fight traffic...What time does it generally clear out in the evening? I know in Chicago after 7:30-8:00 you are home free ( most days). Thanks for your input!

Melissa

I need some advice. I know this has probably been answered before on this thread, but have not had too much time to read all of it yet. So please forgive me.

La Quinta Inn near the airport

Howard Johnsons Inns & Suites - on Dale Mabry Hwy

Comfort Inn - on Dale Mabry Hwy

Days Inn - on Dale Mabry Hwy

Best Western Westshore/Airport

Where is the best area, places to eat and shop? Only going to be there less than 24 hours, day before cruise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

GarageTwoThree - Yes, that's the place. They have strings of what looks like old crab trap bouys all over the place outside. It's next to where the old Morris Bridge Road cutoff is, right at the SW corner of I-75 and Fletcher.

hlfdzn -The traffic on a weekday heading towards town from up there could be a nightmare. Too many people, too many cars, and not enough roads. There is massive construction going through downtown on I-4. One little fender bender with a blue light flashing, and traffic will be at a standstill for miles, even if the road isn't blocked. All the folks who have never seen a police car in their entire life will have to slow down to see the nice little lights flashing, and to see if they can see someone bleeding. On a weekend, as GarageTwoThree says, it's slick and easy. On Friday afternoons, the traffic in the area of the airport starts to backup by about 2:30 to 3:00PM. It doesn't get clear until about 6:30-7:00PM, depending on if there have been any tie-ups in traffic.

DebbieOinKC - From that list, I'd pick either the LaQuinta Airport, or Best Western Westshore/Airport. Those two places are close to two large malls. Westshore Plaza on Westshore at I-275 is nice. Food court, nice stores, restaurants out front, and a theater for movies. Up at the N. end of Westshore is the International Plaza, nice stores, most upscale, with some really nice places to eat in a plaza out back. There are also some places across the street too.

Ken

Thank you for letting me know what to expect...we will plan accordingly depending on what time our flight would come in. My father in law ( 82 yrs old) tends to get crabby when my husband drives him in the car..especially in traffic....might put him over the edge LOL. We will make this as smooth as possible thanks to all of your great information. Thanks a bunch. Melissa

Jessemon, Signman, and anyone else that happens to be looking for me - I'm leaving Easter Sunday morning on our trans-Atlantic cruise. I hope to be back on 4/29, Saturday, 2 weeks from today, if Delta pilots don't strike (looks like they may not do that). Y'all hold down the fort. I'll check in when I get back.

Ken