Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

I saw from your post that you stayed at the Doubletree for $84 (military/govt. rate) per night in April. I have looked on their website for either military/govt. or AARP rates for March 2007 and find everything is well above the $200 price range.

Did you use the internet or call them to get the nice lower rate?

Thanks for the info.

Doubletree on North Rock is going for 119 and Marriott westshore is same price (jan) I have no car want to do some shopping and see Ybor which one??? or any other suggestions even 119 is steep for me as I am paying whole shot for daughter and myself. We are coming from Toronto Canada

I've read back several pages in this thread, but don't see any mention of hotels near the zoo. We are considering a trip to the zoo before our cruise and want to get to/from the airport, the zoo and the cruise terminal without a car (and possibly without a car seat, but I think I'm really hoping for too much here). Are there hotels near the zoo? Would it be better to stay near the port and just travel to the zoo?

Also, which would you consider to be more kid-friendly -- the Hampton Inn or the Chase Suites?

Sorry to "steal" this thread but we are looking for Kracker Ken.

Hello Ken, you started a thread for Hawaii to Vancouver for April 2007. Are you still sailing with us? You haven't visited us in a long time!

Come back lost cruiser !!!! You'd be surprised at how much activity is going on over there. We miss you!

Here is the link to our thread in case you forgot us..........................

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=272238

Please visit us and say hello! We started a Cruise Family Album. We would love to add your picture to it.

Lynn and Dennis

We're booked into the Marriott Waterside pre-cruise. What's the best way to get from the port from there? Does the hotel have a shuttle? I didn't see any info about one on the website, but you never know. If not, I'd assume a taxi is our best bet?

I hope someone here can help me. I am looking for a hotel in the hundred dollar range that has both a complimentary airport shuttle and port shuttle. I was going to book the Doubletree Westshore, but when I called the hotel, they couldn't give me a straight answer as to whether the hotel gives a shuttle to the port or not. They said it's on availability only. Can someone give me some advice, since I am leaving on August 13th, and need to get on top of this.

Thanks!

Erin

I hope someone here can help me. I am looking for a hotel in the hundred dollar range that has both a complimentary airport shuttle and port shuttle. I was going to book the Doubletree Westshore, but when I called the hotel, they couldn't give me a straight answer as to whether the hotel gives a shuttle to the port or not. They said it's on availability only. Can someone give me some advice, since I am leaving on August 13th, and need to get on top of this.

Thanks!

Erin

We stayed here in November. When the shuttle driver picked us up from the airport after flying into Tampa, he asked us if we needed shuttles to the port the following day, and set us up when we arrived at the hotel. We had a designated time to be in the lobby, and I believe there were 3 vans running to the port. We had no problems whatsoever. If things are still the same, I can't see that you would have any problems, either.

An added bonus... when we returned from our cruise, we called Doubletree and they provided complimentary shuttle service from the port directly to the airport! Not many places will do that for you!

Good Luck!

A~

We just booked Double Tree for Aug 12, rate $99 per room over looking the pool after tax $110, the women we spoke to set us up with the shuttle from airport and to the port and they would even bring us back to the airport after the cruise but I"m not looking forward to that just yet, they were very helpful and she said they have all new bedding. Don't worry Double Tree has a very good reputation this is our 5th it is as good as you make it. Good luck

GottaCruise18 - Which zoo are you considering? The Lowry Park Zoo, or Busch Gardens? There are no hotels close to Lowry Park. There are some that are relatively close to Busch Gardens (like Embassy Suites or LaQuinta Inn up on Fowler Avenue). All of the places you mentioned are miles apart. The Chase Suites and Hampton Inn out on Rocky Point are about 10 miles from the port, probably at least that far to Busch Gardens, and maybe 8 miles to Lowry Park Zoo. If you were to stay at the Hampton Inn in Ybor City, you would be reasonably close to the port (1 mile), next to the street car line, and near things to do in Ybor or the Channelside area (easily accessible via street car). You would probably have to take a taxi fromt he airport to the Hampton in Ybor, and to the Lowry Park Zoo or Busch Gardens. Tampa isn't big on public transportation. You could spend a long time riding around on city buses to get almost anywhere, with connections, etc. It's either that or taxi's, and they aren't cheap.

moxie1975 - Go for the Double Tree Westshore that folks are talking about just above.

MikeNKim - It's been reported that Hertz is renting out of the Marriott Waterside Hotel on Channelside Drive. You could check by calling Hertz or the hotel. I don't know if this is something just for guests at the Marriott.

You can walk from the port to the Marriott, or better yet, hop on the street car.

Ken

After reading most of this post, I think we are going to stay at the Embassy Suites Westshore for our November Miracle cruise. One question. Does the Embassy Suites provide shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier.

The Cruisers - Not sure about the shuttle to the pier. This hotel is close enough to the airport, that I would anticipate them having a shuttle. I'd suggest checking directly with the hotel.

inkspotbob - Which one of the Holiday Inn Express locations did you book?

Terri102066 - The Residence Inn downtown is in the NW edge of the downtown business core. Not much around there but the Courtyard by Marriott, and other closed down businesses at night. The street car doesn't go to this corner of town. I don't consider it very safe to be one the streets in this area at night, but there's no problem during the daytime. It's a clean area, and the place isn't too old either. You would probably need a taxi to get over to Channelside, and there's plenty to do over there, food, etc. As for the boat tour, I've heard about it too. I known they have a sunset cruise that goes out of a dock right there at Channelside, and there's also some sort of eco-tour that runs from that area as well. Check the side for Channelside, and there may be some info for you there. Click here:

http://www.channelside.com/

Here's another nice place at Channelside:

http://www.flaquarium.org/html/l1/l1_conservation.html

This might be the tour you are thinking about, or a good suggestion:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Tampa/3590ECO/Dolphin-Eco-Tour

Or maybe this:

http://tampa.about.com/cs/dining/gr/starship.htm

Hope this helps.

Ken

Hello.....

We will be staying in the Woodfin Suites the night before our cruise on the 5th of August. We also will be staying there at the end of our cruise for one night also.

I originally heard great things about Woodfin Suites, but I don't hear much lately or see many posts. One reason we chose them, is that we can get a 2 room suite, with a pull out couch so a family of 6 can stay for less than $130. Plus they offer free shuttle from the airport and to the port on both ends of the trip. :D

For the night before, we only need a restaurant, since we aren't looking for much to do and I understand there are several in the area. But on our return, we are under the impression that there is several things to do in the area since we will almost the entire Sunday to take it easy, do some sightseeing, etc.

Have I picked the right hotel? Does my thought process work? Should I consider another hotel for the end of my cruise for activities? We are very easy people to please and not needing a 5 star hotel.

Thanks in advance for any help. Have a great day! :)

Ken,

Thanks for all that info. We just came back from our cruise, it was so goooood that we wanted to stay for more,but need to face reality.

We stayed at Wyndham Westshore, very convenient, no need for rental car, mall is just accross the road, shopped for what we need for the cruise, clothes, watershoes, water, ponchos etc.

On the day of the cruise, we took a cab to the port (about $20), we arrived around 11:00am, didnt get a chance to leave again, chk in was a breeze, we were eating lunch at Horatio's around 12. Upon return, found out that there is a car rental (Hertz) at the port itself, chked them if I can pick my rental from there, my reservations has Marriott Waterside for p/u, they did not have available car at the port, but provided a shuttle to Marriott which is like 2-3 minutes ride so it wasnt bad at all. Drove from Tampa to Orlando, reached in an hour or so.

Sorry for the delays folks. I'll try to catch up today.

ewanko - You may be able to check your luggage before embarkation begins, or before you go inside to get in line. If you were to get there earlier, say around 10:30-11:00, you could check your luggage with the porters, then walk around and check out Channelside for a while before getting in line. You could even do the Channelside area, take your time, and go inside to check-in after the first rush subsides. I don't know of anywhere else that could hold your luggage, unless you check it at the bell station at the hotel and come back to get it later. I wouldn't be bashful about hiring a cab to go down to the port. They do it all the time. If the street car schedule is convenient, you could go back and forth to the Channelside/port area on the street car a lot cheaper than a cab. You may even be able to use the street car to get to the port when you are ready to do embarkation. The street cars are never too full that your luggage could be an issue.

Terri102066 - The closest hotel to the Channelside area would be either the Embassy Suites-Convention Center or the Marriott Waterside. Next, and somewhat cheaper, would be the Hampton Inn-Ybor City. The street car terminal is right between the Embassy Suites-Conv Center and the Marriott Waterside. The street cars run from there through the Channelside District by all of the cruise terminals, and on up to and through Ybor City. The street car runs right by the Hampton Inn in Ybor City too (the main station is next door).

Here's something y'all can try to get a good idea of the area:

Click here: http://maps.google.com/maps

Search on this: Channelside Drive at Franklin Street, Tampa, Florida

When the map pops up, you will see the bottom of the downtown Tampa area. Click on "Satellite" in the upper right hand corner of the screen and it will give you a nice picture of the area. You can zoom in and out, move up, down, left and right, by clicking on the screen controls on the left side of the screen. There will be a bright rectangle shape object down by the channel running left and right. That's the Ice Palace, also known as the St Pete Time Forum (Home of the Tampa Bay Lightning Hockey team). Along the channel, and to the left of the Ice Palace, near a small bridge, is the Marriott Waterside Hotel. The street car terminal is in front of the hotel. The Embassy Suites is just N. of the street car terminal. The picture is older, and the Embassy Suites isn't there yet. A shadow covers most of the street car station. If you look to the right down the channel, you will see a cruise ship at dock. That's the Channelside Complex and Terminal 2. Just around the curve to the N is the Florida Aquarium and Terminal 3. Just little further N in the channel (running N and S, Ybor Channel) is Terminal 6. The ship that's sitting at a diagonal to the right of the cruise ship is a retired US Navy ship on display. This should give you a good idea of the layout.

FlashbackAlternatives - I don't recall any negative posts on the Double Tree Westshore, from anyone posting on this thread. If there is, I don't remember. Double Tree doesn't have a reputation of having trashy hotels.

The reviews on some of those web sites have to be taken with a grain of salt, just like many cruise reviews. You will see some folks rave about the hotel and praise it, then someone will pop up and trash it, same with a number of folks on the same cruise. Satisfied people rarely go to those websites and put their comments in writing.

LHP - Thanks. You actually did quite well with your descriptions.

Jessemon - Yo! You still out there? Hope all is well on your side of town.

Ken