More civil unrest

SailMeAwayEveryday

Is there a port cam for Roatan? Maybe from the Port villages area? If so we should be able to see if the Legend arrived today. The Port of Roatan site doesn't show one. Also, many of the reports focused on French Harbor on the east end as the scene of unrest not Coxen Hole on the west where the ships anchor.

I know the Valor has 2 ship cams. But I don't know how to find them. Or if Legend has them as well.

I know the Valor has 2 ship cams. But I don't know how to find them. Or if Legend has them as well.

As far as I can tell Legend doesn't have any web cams. You can find the Valor webcams on the Carnival site of at http://www.kroooz-cams.com/carnivalindex.html

I just received word from Cindy at Fins and Flippers that none of the unrest was near the port (as stated either in this thread or in the thread in the Carnival section of CC) and that it was only the one day. Carnival did cancel their ships for this week, but that is it as far as she knows. This isnt official but it looks good for those cruising next week.

As far as I can tell Legend doesn't have any web cams. You can find the Valor webcams on the Carnival site of at http://www.kroooz-cams.com/carnivalindex.html

I just received word from Cindy at Fins and Flippers that none of the unrest was near the port (as stated either in this thread or in the thread in the Carnival section of CC) and that it was only the one day. Carnival did cancel their ships for this week, but that is it as far as she knows. This isnt official but it looks good for those cruising next week.

I posted on the carnival lines threads that the **********dotcom website shows the Legend in port. Whether or not anyone got off I don't know.

http://****************************/schiffsposition.php?schiff=Carnival+Legend

A poster on the Carnival board who is on the Legend now stated that

Legend did not stop in Roatan:(

I saw that!!! And I had an email from shoretrips last night that confirmed both Valor and Legend did not dock this past week. So I guess ********** was wrong showing the ship there. Sailwx info that shows ship positions twice a day had them in the extreme eastern gulf of Honduras yesterday at 6 PM and off the western coast of Cuba today at 6 AM.

The ship tracking sites aren't always accurate. If they don't get a position report from the ship i think they use the anticipated position based on the itinerary. A few weeks ago Valor had skipped a port and substituted Key West. The position site showed the ship in the middle of the nowhere north of Progresso, but the ship web cam clearly showed the Key West dock.

Sailwx info that shows ship positions twice a day had them in the extreme eastern gulf of Honduras yesterday at 6 PM and off the western coast of Cuba today at 6 AM.

Great! Tell them to hurry up and bring that ship back to Tampa, We are getting on it tomorrow!!!

Great! Tell them to hurry up and bring that ship back to Tampa, We are getting on it tomorrow!!!

I'm with you Lisa, we head out tomorrow on the Legend also....:D See ya at the Unicorn Monday!!!

Deb

I'm with you Lisa, we head out tomorrow on the Legend also....:D See ya at the Unicorn Monday!!!

Deb

Take good care of Legend next week....I'll be on her the 31st! WOO HOO!! :D

Just returned from the Liberty, and I can tell you Liberty, Valor and Legend were in Belize together Thursday. We were told about 3 in the afternoon on Wednesday that we were missing Raotan and visiting Belize. Not much time to plan shore excursions for Belize.

I saw that!!! And I had an email from shoretrips last night that confirmed both Valor and Legend did not dock this past week. So I guess ********** was wrong showing the ship there. Sailwx info that shows ship positions twice a day had them in the extreme eastern gulf of Honduras yesterday at 6 PM and off the western coast of Cuba today at 6 AM.

Just off the Valor this morning. I can confirm that we did not get into Roatan, but we sat just off the coast for close to 2hrs waiting to see if the authorities would get the situation under control. (Our postiion would have shown us in Roatan, but of course we did not actually dock.) We continued on to Belize and arrived there the next morning as scheduled.

onintwo - Thanks for the info! So did those ships just have an extra day at sea or did you dock somewhere else? If not, I guess you received a credit for the port taxes then?

Sue

I was on the Valor and we did an extra day at sea going to our next scheduled port of Belize. We got the typical $20.00 per person port credit.

Also just back from the Valor. The official word from Carnival was that the port was canceled at the recomendation of local Hondurian law enforcement because of demonstrations over labor disputes that led to several roads closures on the island.

From the ship we could see Roatan fairly well for several hours. Smoke started rising from a location a good ways west of the cruise ship terminal. Even through my telephoto lens I couldn't make out the cause - it could just have been a planned and controlled underbrush/trash burning, but from my experiences over the years in Kingston, Jamaica, burning old tires in the street during a protest is not uncommon.

We spent the rest of the afternoon doing a couple of zig zags in the ocean on the way to Belize.

Smoke started rising from a location a good ways west of the cruise ship terminal.

Must have just been some burning leaves as all protests burning anything in protest was East of the dock, But thanks for the info on leaf burning but that is pretty regular on Roatan

Smoke started rising from a location a good ways west of the cruise ship terminal.

Would be best to be familiar with directions. In the time in question, all burning was to the EAST of the dock. That leaves the West End pretty much free of these burns. PLEASE, Get your facts straight befor posting anything abot east west north or south.

You all have me shaking my head! I'm leaving next Sunday for Honduras, San Pedro Sula airport to Telia and then Roatan to do eye exams for the people. Was just checking with my friends on cruise critic about a new zip line (other then Gumbalumba Park) WOW I found out more then I wanted to know. I will check with the mission we will be staying with. I have been in contact many times with the folks there and this has not been mentioned!:eek:

The

demonstrators are alleging that foreigners are illegally working in Honduras and

taking jobs away from Hondurans.

Dontcha just love that. Amazing how millions of people from Honduras are here in America doing the exact same thing. The difference is if we protest we are called bigots!!

I am always amazed to hear how other countries around the globe have such strict laws about foreigners moving to their countries, such as weight restrictions (because of the social med) Mexico does not allow Americans to own proprty etc... yet Americans are bashed for complaining about illegals???? wow!!

Dontcha just love that. Amazing how millions of people from Honduras are here in America doing the exact same thing. The difference is if we protest we are called bigots!!

You really should educate yourself on the facts before you comment. The protests are about mainland Hondurans having trouble working on Roatan, NOT Americans. Please at least try to get your information right before posting such things.

The OP posted on how we as U.S. Citizens, are viewed when we protest foreign workers. Not that it was U.S. People taking the jobs of Honduras. Please reread the post.

That is all.

Carnival Valor rerouted from Roatan today.

More civil unrest.

What a shame.

This is what the OP Posted, what are you talking about?

These protests had nothing to do with how US Citizens are viewed, It was all about Zolitor and Hondurans rights to work in Roatan

The

demonstrators are alleging that foreigners are illegally working in Honduras and

taking jobs away from Hondurans.

yet Americans are bashed for complaining about illegals???? wow!!

This is what the OP Posted, what are you talking about?

These protests had nothing to do with how US Citizens are viewed, It was all about Zolitor and Hondurans rights to work in Roatan

My post which was labeled OT, as in Off topic, of the protesters. Hence that OP. Their statement is comparing what happens there in Honduras to here in the U.S. How people are viewed from different parts of the world. When we complain we are called bigots, and unfair. When others complain they are called patriots and hero's protecting their way of life.

/OT.

My post which was labeled OT, as in Off topic, of the protesters. Hence that OP. Their statement is comparing what happens there in Honduras to here in the U.S. How people are viewed from different parts of the world. When we complain we are called bigots, and unfair. When others complain they are called patriots and hero's protecting their way of life.

/OT.

You seem to miss the point. The protesters were mostly mainland Hondurans protesting about their ability to work in Roatan Honduras. It had nothing at all to do with US Visitors or US Policy as the previous poster seemed to insinuate. Tourists are and for the most part have always been welcomed. If you read the news about this you would know that but when people use online translation sites they seem to lose it. Read the spanish news reports and you will find that foreigners were not the subject of the protests.

The previous poster also mentions the millions of Hondurans illegaly in the US? Honduras has a population of between 7 and 8 million, is she suggesting that more than 30% od all Hondurans are illegal in the US? Afterall "millions" would mean at least 2 million

Apparently they are not mad at US Citizens. They are mad at Honduran mainland laborers, and Guatemalan laborers who have come over to work on huge projects like the mall, the pier a golf course being done etc. again not mad at US Citizens or cruiseships. This problem is between the Latino groups already residing here and the ones from the mainland. All the native Islanders are calm and ready to receive tourists.

You seem to miss the point. The protesters were mostly mainland Hondurans protesting about their ability to work in Roatan Honduras. It had nothing at all to do with US Visitors or US Policy as the previous poster seemed to insinuate. Tourists are and for the most part have always been welcomed. If you read the news about this you would know that but when people use online translation sites they seem to lose it. Read the spanish news reports and you will find that foreigners were not the subject of the protests.

The previous poster also mentions the millions of Hondurans illegaly in the US? Honduras has a population of between 7 and 8 million, is she suggesting that more than 30% od all Hondurans are illegal in the US? Afterall "millions" would mean at least 2 million

The fist in Red was what I was refering to. The part in yellow is the other posters figures. That I have no facts on. Done playing in this thread.

Unsubscribing.

Archived