How many would like a pacific northwest cruise throughout the year?

I noticed last week, that Celebrity has a couple Pacific Northwest wine cruises in Sept-Oct. Vancouver to Los Angeles or San Diego, with stops in Nanaimo, Victoria, Seattle, Astoria (Oregon), San Francisco (two days), Monterey and Catalina Island. I'm assuming that's harvest time, so there would be lots of winery-based tours available. I'd be all over that if I didn't have kids in school.

Would love to see alternate week sailings - Week 1 to Mexico, week 2 to the northwest. We drive to the port, and would love to stay on the ship for 14 nights with two different itineraries. That would be my 'dream cruise'. We're scheduled on the Mariner to Mexico 1st week of September, and if they changed the itinerary to the north, would love it! We've been to Mexico twice. Going for a third time because it's a cruise, it's easy for us to get to LA, and it's a wonderful relaxer.

Sandy

I am from the mid west so a 2 - 3 day drive from the coast. We are hopeful to visit our favorite ship the Mariner next summer along with an extended week to see Disneyland and the Grand Canyon. I would really love for the mariner to be going along the pacific coast. Actually it would be perfect for the purpose of the trip. The kids would see more of the US and I would like that very much. I like the idea of keeping some of the tour money here in the US and in Canada too. So if RCCL reads these at all we would book this next July!

We were originally scheduled to go to the Mexican Riviera on Mariner, and about half of our group wasn't thrilled to go to Mexico but decided to because of the group we were traveling with. When the tour got changed we were beyond excited. I keep calling it my once in a life time crusie since it is not normally offered and we have wanted to visit all of these ports. While I understand that cruise ships like to stick to standard schedules I don't think it hurts to change it up once in a while.

How do we get this thread to RCCL bigwigs! They need to see how popular this is. I live 40 min from San Pedro and would LOVE LOVE LOVE to take a PNW cruise. I would be on the Mariner right now if I could have gotten the time off short notice.

What a great opportunity to get more revenue for the US and CA.

We booked the changed June 14th itinerary as well due to the Ports of Call and the price was great. We even got airfare for $250 RT to LAX from Dulles! We usually go to the Caribbean so this is a great opportunity to try something different and jumped at it. Sound like there is a lot of yes votes for a Pacific NW permanent intin...:)

Keeping this thread alive and active is one way to get RCCL's attention. I've been told and others have reported that RCCL regularly checks the boards. Also, possibly starting an e-mail campaign to RCCL about how much we would love to sail this itinerary would possibly be helpful. Anyone else have ideas?

Anne:)

Would love to see alternate week sailings - Week 1 to Mexico, week 2 to the northwest. We drive to the port, and would love to stay on the ship for 14 nights with two different itineraries. That would be my 'dream cruise'. We're scheduled on the Mariner to Mexico 1st week of September, and if they changed the itinerary to the north, would love it! We've been to Mexico twice. Going for a third time because it's a cruise, it's easy for us to get to LA, and it's a wonderful relaxer.

Sandy

My thoughts also. Consecutive cruises to alternating ports would be great.

Yes! Not that interested in a Mexico Cruise but the Pacific Northwest sounds really tempting. I have never visited any of the west coast so it would be a great chance to see many different spots. The current ports the Mariner is doing would suit me fine, maybe add one more port and only have 2 sea days.

This could be seasonal, Mexico in the late fall/winter months and switch to PNW in the warmer seasons.

Bev

I think some late spring and summer/early fall sailings would the way to go. Much nicer weather. Also, if it's going be called a Pacific Northwest cruise, it should sail RT from SF and call at 3 ports. Now for those who are in LA, it's your turn to travel north for a cruise embarkation ;)

I'd really like to see a regular itinerary throughout the year that routed up and down the west coast too. Would be great to have more opportunities to configure a cruise and stay vacation.

However, being the cheapo that I am, for me, it'd have to be fairly competitively priced because I'd be weighing it against a road trip to Oregon or a cheap flight to Las Vegas or southern California. The experiences are obviously different but total spend is still a consideration.

Weather is probably a pitfall for making this work year-round since it gets pretty wet in the northwest during late fall/winter.

Similar to the way Princess does it, but they go to Alaska. I still think there should be Mexico cruises during Spring breaks, though. Families and college students often look toward to warm weather, tropical cruises.

Pacific Northwest sailings should be planned starting in the late spring, and concluding in the first week of October. The fall, winter and spring should just be Mexican Riviera!

Rick

It would need to be roundtrip out of SF for me;) No flying involved, thank you.

Although we do feel sorry for those who were unable to make their Mexico cruise, we'd love this itinerary :)

We've done one repo to date and would love to cruise north again. Of course, I'd like it even better if we just got off in Vancouver and stayed there a few days. Let's see, San Francisco, Astoria, Seattle, Vancouver Island (Victoria or even get out of town ;)) and ending up in Vancouver, perfect.

Yes! Not that interested in a Mexico Cruise but the Pacific Northwest sounds really tempting. I have never visited any of the west coast so it would be a great chance to see many different spots. The current ports the Mariner is doing would suit me fine, maybe add one more port and only have 2 sea days.

This could be seasonal, Mexico in the late fall/winter months and switch to PNW in the warmer seasons.

Bev

This will never happen. The Mariner was brought to the Westcoast for sailing the MR. They are having trouble even booking cabins on the PNW sailings, dropping prices. I for one do not want to go to the PNW and I'm sure there are people beyond this cruise critic board, that are feeling the same way. It's all about the mighty dollar, and the revenue is far greater for RCCL Mariner to cruise the Mexican Riviera. I was scheduled to sail Sunday, opted out of sailing up north, doesn't seem appealing in the least. We rebooked and are awaiting the MR next May.

I would love to cruise north from LA. It would be great if the Mariner did the MR from October thru June and and then headed up north for cooler weather. I would book a summer northern route in a heartbeat!

I don't know about year round, but I would love to see a round trip option out of Seattle that went south instead of to Alaska. Don't see any reason to operate this in the Winter, but as a seasonal option to Mexico in the Summer months it would be great.

This will never happen. The Mariner was brought to the Westcoast for sailing the MR. They are having trouble even booking cabins on the PNW sailings, dropping prices. I for one do not want to go to the PNW and I'm sure there are people beyond this cruise critic board, that are feeling the same way. It's all about the mighty dollar, and the revenue is far greater for RCCL Mariner to cruise the Mexican Riviera. I was scheduled to sail Sunday, opted out of sailing up north, doesn't seem appealing in the least. We rebooked and are awaiting the MR next May.

Well, out of 60+ posts, yours seems to be the only dissenting vote so far :)

I understand the reason people are dropping their cruise and I understand how some may like the Mexican Riviera. We have been once and intend to return, more because of the no flying to port part of the deal. We cruised on Monarch many times without getting off the ship in Ensenada, didn't care for it one bit. While we are looking forward to Cabo in October and again in December, as well as Puerta Vallarta....you can pretty much keep the rest of it. The Mexican Riviera is really no big deal.

Now, the Pacific Northwest.....love it ;) We've been numerous times and never tire of it. A cruise up there would be lovely even with rain or fog.

YES! DH and I always looked for the repositioning cruises along the west coast. Would love alternating PNW and MR so it would make an interesting BTB 2 week cruise. Based in San Diego, could be 7 days north to Vancouver,

7 days south to San Diego, 7 days south to ? Mexico, etc...

I've been to Alaska enough times, the Mexican coast enough times,

and jumped at the chance to sail the Mariner LA roundtrip.

Sailing Sunday May 10 with a big smile on my face........:)

Just got back from a weekend away to the desert and checked my thread here and was so happy to see the great positive response for sailings to the Pacific Northwest.

I would love to add in a vote for stopping in Astoria, Oregon. We did that on a southbound repositioning on the Golden Princess in 9/07 and what a great stop that was. We rented a car and drove south on the Oregon coast. Just gorgeous!

Let's hope RCCL opens up some more options and starts some cruises to the Pacific northwest more times of the year. Seems like we had a lot of positive feedback for this thread.

Hope they are reading it and see the great reponse.

Thanks everyone!

I don't know how many of your read Adam Goldstein's blog, but tonight he explained the procedures involved with the re-deployment (quoted only in part):

On Tuesday morning, two weeks ago, I asked Chris Allen, our Director of Deployment & Itinerary Planning, to create a scenario where our ships would avoid Mexico with the least deviation possible from the existing itineraries. Following that discussion, there was a three hour meeting in our situation room where approximately 20 departments discussed every aspect of such widespread and unexpected changes to our normal operations. By mid-afternoon, Chris had alternatives for every route. This included a promising scenario for what to do with Mariner of the Seas on the west coast, which was the most affected ship. In order to comply with U.S. law, if Mariner couldn’t go to Mexico, her only choice was to go to Canada. We were all pleasantly surprised that Chris put together a one week itinerary including San Francisco, Victoria, B.C. and Seattle. We even have people asking that we continue this itinerary in the future!

Looks like the comments we've talked about regarding making this a possible future scheduled itinerary (and others) are being noticed. :)

Dave

Archived