Rome - Cost of transfer to port

In Oct '08 we paid 180 EURO for 6 of us in a van from 3 different hotels close to the Vatican with Rome Cabs. Making that 30 EUR pp.

Go to your roll call and see if others want to share, the cost is per vehicle, not per person. From what I've read here on the board, 180 to 200 EURO is the going rate for 2 to 6 people. The more you have, the less pp rate.

In Oct '08 we paid 180 EURO for 6 of us in a van from 3 different hotels close to the Vatican with Rome Cabs. Making that 30 EUR pp.

Go to your roll call and see if others want to share, the cost is per vehicle, not per person. From what I've read here on the board, 180 to 200 EURO is the going rate for 2 to 6 people. The more you have, the less pp rate.

Definately go to your roll call if you want to share transport.

On the other hand, there is a train from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia, and it costs about 10E. From there a few block walk to the port entrance, at which a shuttle bus will take to you to the ship.

the train from Termini to port mentioned above, was great. Then there is another train to the airport-Leonardo express. We had to take a shuttle coming back as flight was an early one, and it was very expensive I think over 100 euro for 2 of us. Never let your bags out of your sight at termini, not for a second. I rescued a couples bags from Romas. The couple had turned around while at a car rental counter, and the theives had picked them up. I started yelling and they put than down and took of. Luckily it was that easy to stop them. When the couple came back to the bags I tried to explain what happened and to be careful, but they did not speak english. Neverthess this was returning good Karma, as an Italian women warned me "gypsies" were about to grab my camera at a bus stop, and that I should put it away until they left. I never suspected a thing.

I saw the train station guys later tryng the same thing by causing a ruckas and trying to distract people. I think all the public transportation is fine as long as you have your wits about you and secure your belonging. Unlike American muggers who are more inclined to pull guns and knives, these guys seem to use skils to lift your belongs w/o you even knowing

I'm working on that issue right now for a late October repositioning trip with Carnival. My wife and I were in Rome last year and took the Carnival transfers for $85 per person. For this year, this is what I have found so far: 1) using the same limo service we are taking from the airport (my wife is vision impaired) the cost is 160 Euros per car; 2) using the Carnival transfers will be in the area of $85 per person; 3) taking the train is somewhere between 9 and 12 Euros per person with about a 10 minute (4 block) walk from the train station to where one catches the shuttle to the ship. I have not verified the cost, if any, of the shuttle nor have I verified that Carnival even has such a shuttle or if there is one run by the port. The train seems like a no brainer but Rome sometimes has wildcat strikes so there is a very slight chance that the train may not run on the required date. I have read about this happening at the airport. My next job is to research the cost by cab as a backup if the train is not running.

Marque, you mentioned that your wife is visually impaired. I asked someone who disembarked last week in Civi and took the train from the port to Rome how it was. (DH cannot do stairs.) She said the train station in Civi has two very tall sets of steps - you have to go down one and up the other with your luggage. I just thought you'd like to know that bit of information for your wife.

That ruled out the possibility of the train for us.

Marque, you mentioned that your wife is visually impaired. I asked someone who disembarked last week in Civi and took the train from the port to Rome how it was. (DH cannot do stairs.) She said the train station in Civi has two very tall sets of steps - you have to go down one and up the other with your luggage. I just thought you'd like to know that bit of information for your wife.

That ruled out the possibility of the train for us.

That is true about the stairs. However, not every train to Rome leaves from a platform that requires the use of the stairs. There is one about 07:30 that leaves from track 1. Unfortunately there is no way to determine this from the information posted online by Trenitalia. I did a lot of research on this when I was there last Oct.

I'm working on that issue right now for a late October repositioning trip with Carnival. My wife and I were in Rome last year and took the Carnival transfers for $85 per person. For this year, this is what I have found so far: 1) using the same limo service we are taking from the airport (my wife is vision impaired) the cost is 160 Euros per car; 2) using the Carnival transfers will be in the area of $85 per person; 3) taking the train is somewhere between 9 and 12 Euros per person with about a 10 minute (4 block) walk from the train station to where one catches the shuttle to the ship. I have not verified the cost, if any, of the shuttle nor have I verified that Carnival even has such a shuttle or if there is one run by the port. The train seems like a no brainer but Rome sometimes has wildcat strikes so there is a very slight chance that the train may not run on the required date. I have read about this happening at the airport. My next job is to research the cost by cab as a backup if the train is not running.

Negotiating for a cab last minute can be pricey. We use a wonderful service called Roma Shuttle Airport. Check out the website and pricing. I know you will find it reasonable. Domenico will get back to you with a quote very quickly. http://www.romashuttleairport.it and info@romashuttleairport.it Make sure to mention that you read about his service on this board and that Gail recommended him very highly.

Anyone knows how long is the travel time from the port to the airport? My cruise is in November. The boat's scheduled time to arrive at Civi. port is 4 a.m. I need to get to the FCO airport by 8:30 a.m. Thanks.:)

Who told you that it was OK to book a flight home at 08:30?

Anyone knows how long is the travel time from the port to the airport? My cruise is in November. The boat's scheduled time to arrive at Civi. port is 4 a.m. I need to get to the FCO airport by 8:30 a.m. Thanks.:)

If your actual flight departs at 8:30 you will not make it. Just because the ship docks at 4:00 am does not mean you will be allowed to get off that early. The actual drive time is about an hour; longer if there is traffic.

IMHO it is unwise to catch a flight anytime before 12:00noon. I took train from Civi. to Rome and then airport express train to the airport, the trip was around 1.5 hours. The last time I was there, there was a strike going on and the check-in was a total mess! I was lucky enough to get on a plane from FCO to CDG where I catched the connecting flight back home. So you never know what you will encounter and it's better to prepare sufficient time for any delay.

anything can happen on a cruise ship!

our Grand Princess was due to dock approx. 4 AM but a storm blew up and we finally got off the ship around 11 AM

of course all of us flying out of FCO that day missed our flights (ours was due to fly out 1:30 PM approx.) so we all were checked into a hotel at the Airport and flew out the next day

if you were travelling with Princess Air, all was pretty well handled for us

those who had indep. travel plans had to deal with airline re scheduling etc. on their own

so getting to the Airport for 0830 could be great or it could be touchy.

has anyone on this Board ever gotten to FCO for 0830?

Negotiating for a cab last minute can be pricey. We use a wonderful service called Roma Shuttle Airport. Check out the website and pricing. I know you will find it reasonable. Domenico will get back to you with a quote very quickly. www.romashuttleairport.it and info@romashuttleairport.it Make sure to mention that you read about his service on this board and that Gail recommended him very highly.

Rome Shuttle left us stranded at the airport. Trip Advisor has had similar reports from other international passengers. I suggest Rome Cabs instead, as they have consistently positive reviews.

has anyone here ever taken the train ride from the port to the Airport or to Termini with all their luggage? if so, how much space did you actually have?

if you have only a carry on, I can see taking the train but what about that plus a 26"?

the price of course is good, but I was just wondering about the crowded train.

this is a hypothetical question for me , but surely others are thinking along these lines too.

We just returned from our post cruise stay in Rome. We used romecabs and they not only were on time, but gave us loads of info as they took us to our hotel. They were waiting at the dock with our name on a board, put all our luggage into the van, and drove us to our hotel. We also used them to take us to the airport after our stay in Rome. Stefano is the owner and he is delightful! He emailed our confirmation and gave us his cell phone in case we ran into problems with locating our luggage after the cruise. You won't go wrong! His email address is romecabs@yahoo.com.

Archived