Bar Harbor Tendering Experience?

arby70

If we book one of the 2 private Acadia Park tours (both are at 10 am.) will be have a problem getting there in time? We are supposed to be docked by 8 am in Bar Habor. I have heard that the ship tours tender first (which I understand), but was wondering if we would be able to make a 10 am private tour or am I dreaming? The private tour likes you to be there at 9:30 to pick up your tickets.

Anyone out there that docked at 8 am and then managed to go on the trolley tour or the private bus tour at 10? Thanks for your help.

I've never had to tender while visiting Bar Harbor but just want to provide info that may help in your decision.

The tender ride is about 10 minutes which EXCLUDES loading and unloading.

The tour pick up points are within a 5 minute walk from the tender dock.

I don't recall ever seeing more than 1 tender at the BH tender dock at a time (I could be wrong on this). Unlike Newport where up to 4 tenders can be at the dock at the same time. Maybe the tenders in BH just stand off the dock and wait their turn.

But, I am pretty sure that I read a post from a past cruiser who did not have any trouble making the 10AM tour. Have you searched the forum?

SBtS

If we book one of the 2 private Acadia Park tours (both are at 10 am.) will be have a problem getting there in time? We are supposed to be docked by 8 am in Bar Habor. I have heard that the ship tours tender first (which I understand), but was wondering if we would be able to make a 10 am private tour or am I dreaming? The private tour likes you to be there at 9:30 to pick up your tickets.

Anyone out there that docked at 8 am and then managed to go on the trolley tour or the private bus tour at 10? Thanks for your help.

We were on the Princess CB last Sept and did the 10 AM Ollie's Trolley tour. We were there with plenty of time. Ollies ticket pick up is in the building you walk through at the tender dock. I am not sure which company you picked, but I am pretty sure the bus one was close by too. You'll love it.

Ships frequently arrive prior to published arrival time resulting in passengers being able to exit the ship a bit early as well. There should be absolutely no problem arriving at 8am and making a tour at 10 am, truthfully depending on how long your ship is in port you might consider requesting your private tour even earlier so you see more rather than waiting 2 hours to begin your exploration of Bar Harbor. Plus depending upon which ship you are on, it might be on the smaller side for a cruise ship and have fewer passengers to tender in than larger one. Just a thought...

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the Princess CB last Sept and did the 10 AM Ollie's Trolley tour. We were there with plenty of time. Ollies ticket pick up is in the building you walk through at the tender dock. I am not sure which company you picked, but I am pretty sure the bus one was close by too. You'll love it.

Did you order your tickets prior to your cruise? or did you just buy them when you got off the ship. Sounds like the Ollie's Trolley tour will be a good option. We sail in October.

• 3 weeks later...

es_2009, we didn't book a private tour (just us) if that's what you mean. We booked the Acadia Tours bus. We have tickets on reserve and will pay for them when we pick them up. I like that option.:)

We went with Acadia Tours last fall and had booked the 10:00 tour. Had an awful time getting a tender from the ship (NCL Dawn). We had to call them twice to reschedule, they were very nice. We finally got there for the 11:30 tour.

Ask the company if you'll be able to switch to another time if needed when you book and keep their number handy, just in case.

We went with Acadia Tours last fall and had booked the 10:00 tour. Had an awful time getting a tender from the ship (NCL Dawn). We had to call them twice to reschedule, they were very nice. We finally got there for the 11:30 tour.

Ask the company if you'll be able to switch to another time if needed when you book and keep their number handy, just in case.

Thanks for the info... This is exactly what we are afraid of having happen. I am even considering booking their walking tour (that starts at 830am) so that I know I will be tendered to shore at a reasonable time. There is a lot I want to do in BH and I would hate to be stranded on the ship until noon... Yikes!

On a positive note, I made a little discovery while trying to book a tour with BarHarborWhales... Apparently they are offering no tours at all that day because RCCL has chartered all of their fleet to run at tender boats. Maybe this will make it run a little smoother... *fingers crossed*

Archived