Early Saver Question

How can some of the online companies (like the ones through Cruise Compete) offer such lower rates? Do they buy ahead of time in bulk? I have gotten quotes from a couple that were about $200 less than Carnival's price and offer an OBC.

I'd guess that they have group space on your cruise so can charge less. That's what happened when I booked our 1st cruise ... I went to the website you mentioned & the TA I used had prices for a decently higher category that were way lower than the cruise line's advertised prices for the lowest category. She had group space.

Anyone out there please correct me if I'm wrong (since I'm no TA!) but, from what I understand, that's not the same as "buying ahead in bulk" as you asked ... when they have group space I don't think they've actually BOUGHT the space. I think they've just been allowed to hold some cabins until a certain date (closer to the sailing date when they need to relinquish any unsold cabins).

I'd guess that they have group space on your cruise so can charge less. That's what happened when I booked our 1st cruise ... I went to the website you mentioned & the TA I used had prices for a decently higher category that were way lower than the cruise line's advertised prices for the lowest category. She had group space.

Anyone out there please correct me if I'm wrong (since I'm no TA!) but, from what I understand, that's not the same as "buying ahead in bulk" as you asked ... when they have group space I don't think they've actually BOUGHT the space. I think they've just been allowed to hold some cabins until a certain date (closer to the sailing date when they need to relinquish any unsold cabins).

Thanks Bonnie. That does make sense. Since this is my first booking, you do get suspicous when then price is much lower.

You are correct. Group space is blocked and locked in at a certain price. Then the cruise line will recall unsold cabins in a specific amount of time. If you see a really low rate, chances are you are being added to group space...which is great if you can find it.

The rates may be going up for a specific cruise, but those group spaces are locked in. So another TA or someone going out on their own (or thru a pvp) won't have access to the lower group rate.

My point exactly. I booked thru a TA on my very first cruise and once I realized I didn't need to pay someone $50 to hit the "submit button" for me, I have not looked back.

The other other exception is when I used my Carnival Miles - they don't give you any choice there, but they also don't charge an additional fee.

Haggling - you would be surprised at what you can get when you haggle. Just read anyones post in here. Whether you complain or be polite, Carnival agents are there at your disposal. Again, I don't need TA to ask for an OBC when the rates change.

This is the point where I get confused.:confused:

You paid somebody to book a cruise for you? I wouldn't book with somebody either that makes you pay a booking fee. Why pay extra when you can go right to the source and pay less. Quite frankly I can't see a future in an agency that charges more for a cruise than the cruiseline.

As I said earlier my TA doesn't charge anything and discounts her prices.

Whatever works best for each individual.:)

Bill

In addition to booking you into already held group space, thereby giving you a price that is lower than the current price on a category, many online TAs are rebating almost all of their commission to you.

Commission is paid at a percentage of the cruise fare only (and often the non commissionable and taxes are higher than the base fare). Of that percentage, the "agency" takes a piece and the balance is paid to the individual agent. In the case of these large on line TAs, they are keeping the agency portion and rebating the agent portion to the customer.

I work as a TA (as well as my other full time job) and I do not charge booking or change fees. When the fare drops, I arrange for the lower fare for the traveller. If that means sending in the Early Saver form documenting the lower fare, or making a call to the cruiseline, I do it. I recently had a drop for a passenger on Early Saver after final payment. It resulted in a net decrease of about $24 in commission to me. They got an OBC for the savings. There are times I can see why some TAs charge a change fee (and if the average savings in cost results in an average commission drop of $25, that's why you see that cost as the general fee) since each fare drop results in additional work to the TA, but rather than additional commission, we get less.

Sometimes, fare changes result in the passenger upgrading, so we'll end up with a net increase in commission for our work. You never know how it will work out. I understand that my job is to get the best price for my customer, and doing that, even if I see less money, means that (hopefully) my customer will recommend me to their friends when they are travelling. So we often look at the longer picture.

Just a bit more information so you understand how this works. I don't do what I do because I think I'll get rich. I do it because I love to travel and love helping people find great vacations.

I always book directly with the line and pay them the deposit. I also take advantage of any OBC at booking. I then occasionally look to see if there are any reductions or one day sales and have the line adjust my booking price.

Before making my final payment I transfer the booking to any TA that offers the best, further reduced fare. I've had luck with Costco Travel.

The booking #, cabin, OBC...all stay the same. The only change is your lower fare. It takes about 10 minutes over the phone to transfer a booking. Some lines like X require a form. Carnival asks you to set up a pin when you initially book in the event you do transfer. Pretty easy to do. Lines do not discourage transfers of bookings.

Marty

I'm looking at a 2010 cruise. Direct through Carnival, it's $2481, but through an on-line travel agency it's $2265. Both are early saver fares. I have not yet asked the travel agent what will happen if Carnival reduces its fare, but the published rate is still in excess of what I paid, due to my discount. I also priced the same cruise through another company, and it was in between these prices. They told me that I would only get early saver protection if published rates dropped below the price I actually booked at. I'm not sure whether that is just TA policy or Carnival policy.

If I knew the rate would drop between now and then, even a little, I'd probably book direct. But for a nearly 10 percent savings, I'm sort of inclined to go the online route and take my chances that getting ES savings might be more of a hassle than if I'd booked with Carnival direct.

We had a TA fire us. We had booked with him for 10 years and probably brought him about 20 loyal customers. We have 25 booked with him, our kids and parents 16x5 and many more friends and family. After we booked our cruise last may he sent an email that he would no longer handle our business. We were too much work because we asked for price decreases when they became available and would once in a while change cabins if we added someone to our booking. He said he preffered customers that booked and didn't change anything or know that they could get price decreases. Our first thought was WOW. We had brought him sooo much busines over the years we couldn't believe it. We had stayed with him out of loyalty. Then we thought of how much he was losing. We always travel with our entire family and many friends and he lost our word of mouth advertising. What he doesn't know is we had already fired him and booked two cruises with someone else before he decided to fire us. Ha!! Now we book with Carnival and everything is easier. Cindy

I always book directly with the line and pay them the deposit. I also take advantage of any OBC at booking. I then occasionally look to see if there are any reductions or one day sales and have the line adjust my booking price.

Before making my final payment I transfer the booking to any TA that offers the best, further reduced fare. I've had luck with Costco Travel.

The booking #, cabin, OBC...all stay the same. The only change is your lower fare. It takes about 10 minutes over the phone to transfer a booking. Some lines like X require a form. Carnival asks you to set up a pin when you initially book in the event you do transfer. Pretty easy to do. Lines do not discourage transfers of bookings.

Marty

You are not supposed to mention any site by name, but the one you mentioned is who now charges a cancel or change fee of $25 pp. Plus they wouldnt process a decrease in fare because I had paid it off earlier and the commission would change, said not worth it, already did one. So, I didnt get the $60 and took my business back to carnival.

with these complicated fares, its almost advantageous to book direct and not take the offered discount in the long run .... sometimes. its a gamble

Marty

You won't be able to do that anymore. Now once you book with CCL you have 30 days to transfer a booking.

Bill

Archived