Over the chickenpox-now we have an ear infection!!

jhdoublin

Can you believe this! This will be our 9th cruise and never had any sickness-until now!

Well, baby has no chickenpox-yet. But he does have an ear infection!! I am beginning to think this trip is not meant to be.

I need advice on ear infections and flying. He got a shot today and may get another on Monday plus he is on oral antibiotics too. Hopefully it will be much better by Thurs. when our flight is. If not I guess if we go, I will have to drive 12 hours to FL! I won't fly if it will be too hard on his ears.

How confident are you guys with the medical team on the boat? I have never used them so I don't know.

Do you think I should just cancel and wait until later?

Baby is 16 months.

Thanks~

You have had a rough go at it! Do not fear, the ear infection should not be any problem at that point. This past spring break we traveled with our 2 kids, both on antibiotics. One had strep and was on the 5th day of antibiotics, he is my older one. My younger was 15 months at the time of the trip and he had an ear infection. He was on the antibiotics for 3 days before traveling. Our flight to Florida was 2 parts, 1 1/2 hrs and then a 2 1/2 hour flight. He was fine for both, we did give him motrin for the second flight because it was the longer one. I think he would have been fine without it. I would also be sure to bring a couple sippy cups for drinking at take off, same stuff you would normally do. Don't fear, it will be okay and you will be in the sun having fun in not time!

Just for laughs, we were great until this week, our now 16 month is back on the antibiotics with another ear infection. And the story goes on....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Please ask your doctor for advice about this as he/she will know best.

I can tell you we had lots of ear infections in this house, and once they were on the correct antibiotics, they clear up pretty fast.

Check with your doctor.

I hope you guys are right! We started on zithromax for 3 days and that wasn't working, today he had a rocephin shot plus he is on cefzil liquid - so that should make it better -I hope.

I just worry about the pressure in the plane.

The doctor can prescribe something to make flying easier, if blocked eustation tubes are a problem. Do talk to the doctor! There's little worse than acute ear pain from flying! It can, however, be prevented.

Oh geesh! :eek: Remind me to send you a big bubble!

As far as the medical crew onboard, you don't want to use them unless you have too. Expensive is an understatement.

Ask the ped if the baby will be able to fly. If you haven't found out yet, that rocefin shot can cause some fierce diarhea. :( That's what they were giving my daughter when she was medevacced from Disney Magic and she developed a wicked case of diaper rash from that stuff.

I would schedule a follow up appt with dr to have he or she check the ears. If baby isn't ready to fly he/she will let you now. I hope you bought travel insurance.

Lactinex is over the counter and will combat any "ill effects" from any antibiotic, anytime. Ask for it at your pharmacy counter, they keep it in the fridge behind the counter. No prescription needed.

We have a 2.5 yr old with a history of chronic sinus infections and we have a 4 month old. Both attend "petri dish" daycare, daily. So far we have has wicked good luck using a saline spray on them 4-6 times a day. The baby tends to get it more as the toddler really fights it. BUT the toddler hasn't had a sinus infection in 6 weeks, which is a record for us. The baby has yet to develop an ear infection or even a bad cold - so we are sticking with it.

I mention it because it may help irrigate and cleanse your toddlers sinius/eustacian areas.

Good luck!

Do you think I should just cancel and wait until later?

If you have to, will Carnival allow you to cancel with no penalties, because of the itinerary change? Or did you purchase trip insurance?

Oh geesh! :eek: Remind me to send you a big bubble!

As far as the medical crew onboard, you don't want to use them unless you have too. Expensive is an understatement.

Ask the ped if the baby will be able to fly. If you haven't found out yet, that rocefin shot can cause some fierce diarhea. :( That's what they were giving my daughter when she was medevacced from Disney Magic and she developed a wicked case of diaper rash from that stuff.

I have travel insurance that is supposed to cover any medical expenses-that is probably only secondary to my regular health insurance I am sure.I am more concerned with the knowledge of treatment that they will be handing out I guess.

We can cancel the day of if I feel that we need to.

I have saline nose spray-it's getting it in the nose is the trick:rolleyes:

The little one tends to have more trouble with constipation-so maybe the rocephin will loosen him up a little.

He seems to be feeling better today- so we go back to the doctor tomorrow-and probably again on Wed. just to make sure!

Thanks~

Also check with the MD to see if there is any antihistamine or sudafed type drug that you could give your child to dry up some of the fluid in the ear before you fly. We always used this for my daughter who had tons of ear infections. I know this was a few years ago before they took all of the pedia sure stuff off of the market, but maybe there is something your MD can suggest in the correct dose for your child.:)

For all those parents with children under 3, to see what the correct dosage for your child is for the over the counter products that no longer contain dosing information on the packaging.

This is a link from the Childrens Hospital of San Diego website.

http://www.chsd.org/body.cfm?id=773

As usual, always err on the side of caution.

For all those parents with children under 3, to see what the correct dosage for your child is for the over the counter products that no longer contain dosing information on the packaging.

This is a link from the Childrens Hospital of San Diego website.

http://www.chsd.org/body.cfm?id=773

As usual, always err on the side of caution.

Thanks- MD said maybe 1/4 tsp of bendryl/kids- to help open up the nasal area. He has a few small kids and they travel a lot-so I don't know.

Going back to MD today to check the ears.

A co-workers doctor has recommended mucinex to help clear up her childrens' ear infections instead of an antihistamine like Benadryl. You want a decongestant to get the stuff out of there.

A co-workers doctor has recommended mucinex to help clear up her childrens' ear infections instead of an antihistamine like Benadryl. You want a decongestant to get the stuff out of there.

My good friend says the same thing for herself! She has always had trouble flying- now she uses saline nose spray and a decongestant and she said they work great!

Can you give mucinex to toddlers?

Mucinex is (Guiafenisin) which is the same ingredient in plain Robitussin. It's an expectorant which means it helps to loosen and drain mucus secretions from the nose and ears. It can definitely help with the pressure. Its not indicated for children under 2 but check with your Dr and see if you can use it. They have children's mucinex which comes in a powder form you could add to applesauce or there is Robitussin which is liquid.

We had the advice nurse at out pediatricians office tell us to use mucinex for our toddler as well. IIRC, it did help. She also told us the dosage to give. I cant remember it but i am sure that your advice nurse or pediatrician could answer the question.

I'm sure everything will be just fine.

Archived