Last minute bookings

I live in San Diego and want to experiment with last minute bookings of some of the cruises RCCL will be offering this summer. However, I don't know the ins-and-outs of last minute bookings so I decided to ask this Board. I thank everyone in advance for their comments.

Assuming cabins continue to be available, what is the recommended time for purchasing a last-minute cruise? Is there some point at which prices no longer drop regardless of the number of available cabins? Also, looking at it from the other side, when does RCCL stop selling cabins? I have this vague memory of reading that cabins have to be purchased 48 or 72 hours in advance.

When purchasing last-minute, is it okay to use online agents or is it better to go directly to RCCL to avoid confusion at the pier? At this point, solo occupancy prices appear to be the same with RCCL & the online agents (even though double occupancy prices are lower with the online agents). However, if the online agents begin to offer a lower single occupancy price, should I purchase from the online agent or book with RCCL?

All information and advice is appreciated about these questions and any other details I didn't think to ask about. Personal experiences with last-minutes bookings are also welcomed.

Thanks, everyone!

Rie

Sea Princess 2002

Carnival Spirit 2002

Monarch of the Seas 2003

Quite often the last 3 wks before the sailing, prices start back up. Shorter supply of cabins.

You're right. No really last minute bookings since passenger manifests have to be wired to the fed for security checks. I would say best prices are the last 30 to 60 days prior to sailing. No advantage to booking with the cruiselines. Often their price is more.

Start looking just after final payment- keep track of trends before. It can pay to be flexable. I usually book between 45 and 60 days, rare occasion 30. I have never used the cruiseline direct and have gone with the cheapest online agency.

We did this for the first time ever last January. While we were not able to get the cabin we wanted icon_eek.gif we still had an excellent time getting away from home and work.

We book a year out so that we can choose our cabin. Would I book last minute again? For a cruise? Absolutely! icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll keep an eye on prices after the final payment date. I've learned one lesson already - I was watching the prices for a 5 day cruise that had solo occupancy (for interior rooms) on Mon then suddenly did not on Tues. It still listed interior rooms for double occupancy but not for single occupancy. Oh, well!

Rie

Sea Princess 2002

Carnival Spirit 2002

Monarch of the Seas 2003

The only real way to make a killing on a last minute booking is to get a "Happy Hour" special. They usually come out Friday or Monday and are only good for bookings made on Monday or Tuesday.

Here's a link. However, I believe you'll need a TA to make the reservation as the RCI agent was unaware of the special when I tried to book.

Happy Hour Specials

As of yet, I haven't seen anything for Mexico other than the Monarch of the Seas.

KLC

UPCOMING CRUISES:

---------------------

PRIDE OF ???????-HAWAII (01/05)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;01;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

PREVIOUS CRUISES

-------------------------

RCI's Monarch of the Seas (01/04)

Star Princess (6/03)

RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas (4/01)

Carnival's Ecstasy (6/96)

RCI's Viking Serenade (1/94)

I'll keep an eye on the Happy Hour Specials. Something from San Diego may show up later in the summer. Thanks for the tip and link.

Rie

Sea Princess 2002

Carnival Spirit 2002

Monarch of the Seas 2003

Here is the address, but the link about worked for me. You may need Adobe Acrobat® Reader.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/happy_hour/HappyHour_rci_tues.pdf

<MARQUEE>Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

Keeping an eye on Happy Hour specials is a good idea, and also subscribing to the email newsletters from the online sites. I see a lot of 2 - 6 week out cruises coming up on them "on sale". Then you can compare to the Happy Hour specials each week.

Peggy - RCI since 1973

I just booked the Monarch for a 3 day out of LA. With only 2 weeks before the cruise I think that was kind of a last minute booking. My advice to you is don't take too long to decide. We wanted an inside (to save money) and we waited and the next day they were all gone and we had to purchase an ocean view. If you see a good price I would put it on hold while you check with anyone you want to go with and see if you can get the time off work. I say don't look at last minute bookings unless you already know you can go. Otherwise you lose out on good deals during the time it takes you to decide if you can go. As for using a travel agent or going directly through the cruise line; I think whoever gives you the best price is who I would book through. If the travel agent can still sell the cruise then you shouldn't have any problems. Just be prepared to have to pick up documents at the pier. Good luck!

Archived