An Epic Review of the Fantasia

AmoMondo

AmoMondo:

Thanks for the info in the other thread I started :) A few follow-ups:

1. I only speak English (unfortunately) - will this be a problem with tablemates at dinner? Does MSC take lanaguage into account? What about ship communications (do they have daily newsletters like Carnival and other lines? If so, in English)?

No, no problem with tablemates at dinner - they always seat you with people who speak the same language as you. At lunch and breakfast you may occasionally have to share with someone who doesn't speak English. if you are thinking of European cruise then this will be more likely than in the caribbean where there will be a lot of US and canadian passengers onboard.The Daily programme of all activities etc will be delivered to your cabin and be in English (They do them in 5 languages). You can also order newspapers at extra cost (US or UK)

2. It seems you have been on a lot of MSC cruises - ever to Egypt? Their website says I am responible for visas, but other lines take care of it when you book their excursion....just wondering what your experience was. Any other ports where visa/paperwork is required?

Yes, 9 times in fact but never to Egypt. The only port where you had to have a visa was St petersburg and that was only if you were going ashore on your own, If you were doing one of their tours you did not need one. I don't know what your other ports are so don't know if you will need a visa or not

3. Kids - are they an issue? With kids being free, I would think it may be a problem. I am going Nov 16th-27th....not sure if they are in school or not in EU?

there can be a lot of kids onboard during summer holidays but I doubt there would be at that time of year

4. Pools. I know its gets cooler in the Med during the fall/winter/spring....the enclosed pool - was it large enough? Always crowded? What about hot tubs?

There were about 12 hot tubs i think dotted about the place. The indoor pool area is quite big but was alos quite busy the first few days we were there as the weather was not very good and folk were avoiding the open air ones. It is a very beautiful area with fountains . If you can't get a seat by the pool, you can usually manage to get one upstairs in the balcony area.

Thanks foe all your info - I was really worried about MSC, but after reading your reviews I feel much better!

Hi again. I've answereds your questions above for you

Have just read your review of Fantasia and it would appear that you experienced the same poor standard of waiter service as we did on Poesia. It is such a pity that MSC do not seem to be training their waiting staff in the basic skills and also a pity that the high standards we experienced on earlier cruises with MSC are no longer being maintained. It might pay MSC to read the adverse comments on these boards because it seems to me that it is not just on one particular ship that these basic skills are lacking. Glad it did not spoil your trip - we did not let it spoil ours but we were disappointed all the same.

Suron

Have just read your review of Fantasia and it would appear that you experienced the same poor standard of waiter service as we did on Poesia. It is such a pity that MSC do not seem to be training their waiting staff in the basic skills and also a pity that the high standards we experienced on earlier cruises with MSC are no longer being maintained. It might pay MSC to read the adverse comments on these boards because it seems to me that it is not just on one particular ship that these basic skills are lacking. Glad it did not spoil your trip - we did not let it spoil ours but we were disappointed all the same.

Suron

Suron, I have read your review and am truly sorry that you were disappointed, especially as this cruise was a special anniversary. I don't however share your views of the lack of waiting skills. yes I had a terrible waiter on this particular cruise but all the others on the ship that served me were good or excellent. In 9 cruises over the past 4 years, this was the first inadequate waiter that I've encountered. I've worked for many years in financial services and know that it is impossible to not have any problems with staff no matter how well they are trained. I view this aberration as an isolated incident and it certainly does not deter me from sailing with them again.

I could not help noticing that many of the things that you had issues with (e.g. English breakfast tea, marmalade, cold milk for your te) are far more likely to be attributable to you sailing on an Italian ship that does not specifically cater for British tastes given the low percentage of passengers we make up than lack of training.

The waiters work 12-14 hour split shifts 7 days per week for 6 or 9 months and have to deal with 5 official "foreign" languages. On European sailings, English speaking passengers are in the vast minority, so it is not surprising to me that they are not completely fluent in Englosh or completely au fait with how we like things to be served. It would appear to me that there probably is not a lot of time left over for them to be undergoing extra training whilst onboard and if they had to do this before boarding, I doubt many could afford to join MSC. You may not be aware that any training they undergo before being given a contract with a cruiseline is at their own expense. They also have to pay for their own visas, uniforms, agents fees etc. It is not uncommon for crew to have to incur costs of more than US$1000 in order to take up a contract. This is a vast sum of money in the debveloping countries they come from, where average monthly earnings may be as low as $150.

I think that many US and UK passengers are dissatisfied with MSC because their expectations are that they will get the same type of service and food etc that they would on a Britsih or American line. Had you had problems with some of the items you mention on P&O or Thomson, then I think you would be extremely justified in being disappointed. However I rather supsect that many of the issues you encountered would have been the same had you been in an Italina, Spanish or French Hotel

I've been on NCL twice and am now considering MSC precisely because it is Italian - am I right in understanding that cappuccino machines and soft ice cream machines are not available 24/7. We found them fun and convenient and enjoyed having a coffe at any time of the day 'free of charge'.

I've been on NCL twice and am now considering MSC precisely because it is Italian - am I right in understanding that cappuccino machines and soft ice cream machines are not available 24/7. We found them fun and convenient and enjoyed having a coffe at any time of the day 'free of charge'.

Yes you are correct no 24/7 free cappuccino or soft ice cream, No 24/7 food and drink for that matter either. They dont do soft ice cream but the real Italian gelato which is absolutely delicious. It is free if taken as dessert at lunch or dinner. If you buy it at the Gelateria it is extra but well worth it. Cappucino can be had pretty much all day (7am-1am) in coffee shops and bars. No self service machines - again it is the genuine Italian version made with espresso and steamed milk - also very good. I'm particularly partial to the Amaretto version!

Ok here goes with the first instalment of my review that a few of you have been patiently waiting for.

I’m a single European woman in her forties who has travelled extensively in the last 30 years. This was my ninth cruise with MSC although my first on such a large ship..

Your published cruise history indicates that you have not cruised on any other line besides MSC. Isn´t that something of a disadvantage when critiquing MSC? I am mystified how you can remain so steadfastly gung ho for MSC over other cruiselines when you have never sailed on the others. In view of your history of rationalizing away negative comments I am not surprised by your attempt to minimize the significance of the incompetence of your dining room waiter. By the way, did you ever complain to the head waiter or dining room mgr or did you just suffer in silence?

I think that many US and UK passengers are dissatisfied with MSC because their expectations are that they will get the same type of service and food etc that they would on a Britsih or American line.

On the contrary, I think many US and UK passengers are dissatisfied with MSC simply because they get bad service and food. MSC receives more negative comments than the other mass market lines. I, for one, am amused by the attempts to rationalize away the MSC negatives by justifying them as the hallmarks of an "authentic Italian" cruising experience. Most experienced travellers would agree that the disposition and cuisine of Italians are both wonderful so I am at a loss to understand why service and food that is authentically Italian would be criticized so frequently as substandard. I am not certain how the Italian cruiseline experience differs from a typical American one (and I would be surprised if you are since you have only cruised MSC), but such ethnic differences in and of themselves can not realistically be the cause of so much negative criticism.

p.s. Not that it matters greatly, but have you thought to submit your review for publication in the Members Reviews section of this site as opposed to just creating your own Member Review thread?

p.p.s. Not that it matters greatly except as to journalistic accuracy, but I couldn't reconcile "In her forties" with born in the forties per your published CC profile.

• 2 weeks later...

]

Your published cruise history indicates that you have not cruised on any other line besides MSC. Isn´t that something of a disadvantage when critiquing MSC?

Yes of course it is. I don't pretend to be a cruise critic or expert. I include my cruise history so that people are aware that my only cruise experience is with MSC. people are free to completely ignore my opinions if they so wis., I think I'm very qualified to provide answers to requests for factual information.

I am mystified how you can remain so steadfastly gung ho for MSC over other cruiselines when you have never sailed on the others. In view of your history of rationalizing away negative comments I am not surprised by your attempt to minimize the significance of the incompetence of your dining room waiter.

I minimized the significance of the incompetence because it was simply that - minimal, I take that you view from a purely rational and analytical stance. I have had in excess of 210 meals in a MSC dining room, on 7 of these occasions I had a bad waiter, The rest of the time it has ranged from fine to good to excellent. That maenas about a 97% satisfaction rate. That in my view then makes this minimal. I enjoy sailing with MSC as they provide the kind of holiday I want and have no intention of apologising for that. Nor do I feel the need to try another line when I'm satisfied with them. The only other line that would be an option for me in anycase is Costa. You clearly did not enjoy your cruise with them several years ago. You don't like them, I do. I see no point in arguing over it. We are both entitled to our opinions. There are so many cruise lines each suiting different people. The knack is to find one that suits you.

By the way, did you ever complain to the head waiter or dining room mgr or did you just suffer in silence?

Neither. The head waiter was fully aware of the situation and was constantly chasing him up. Had I been on my own, i would have asked to have been moved. This was not option as my table companions did not want to.

Not that it matters greatly, but have you thought to submit your review for publication in the Members Reviews section of this site as opposed to just creating your own Member Review thread?

Yes I have but simply have not had the time to get in in to a format that is ready to publish. There was simply one reason for starting it in a thread (as many other have done too) and that was there were several people sailing on the same cruise a few weeks after me and were anxious to hear what I'd thought. With this approach I was able to give them the info they wanted over the space of a week or so, which fitted in with my work commitment.

p.p.s. Not that it matters greatly except as to journalistic accuracy, but I couldn't reconcile "In her forties" with born in the forties per your published CC profile

I've checked my profile and it correctly shows that I was born in 1961 and am 48 years of age, ergo "in her forties", albeit not for much longer!

• 3 months later...

AmoMondo, help please. :)

You say you took the HOHO bus to Parc Guell. Was that the Bus Turistic? Did the bus take you to the park entrance as I have read elsewhere it is an uphill hike to the entrance from where the bus stops.

If so, did you see any other buses which went right to the entrance?

As well as the bus turistic...

http://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelona/Barcelona-City-Hop-on-Hop-off-Tour/d562-2512BBUS

There is also this one..

http://www.barcelonatours.es/web_eng/barcelona_city_tour_ruta_este.html

and this one...

http://www.isango.com/spain-tours/barcelona-tours/barcelona-hop-on-hop-off-pass_5850

Thanks so much for any insight you can give me on this.

I haven't yet read all this review so my question might have been covered.

We are sailing on the Splendida - We understand that there is tea/coffee served at tea time with snacks.

Did you have this on the Fantasia ?

When you say the shuttle at Marseille costs eur 10 - is that one way or return ? I read somewhere that it costs eur 5, so I hope it's eur 10 both ways not an increase of price.

I was told the taxi from ship to Marseille Vexux Port was about eur 20 and the taxi to Aix was eur 50. Hope prices haven't changed.

AmoMondo, help please. :)

You say you took the HOHO bus to Parc Guell. Was that the Bus Turistic? Did the bus take you to the park entrance as I have read elsewhere it is an uphill hike to the entrance from where the bus stops.

If so, did you see any other buses which went right to the entrance?

As well as the bus turistic...

http://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelona/Barcelona-City-Hop-on-Hop-off-Tour/d562-2512BBUS

There is also this one..

http://www.barcelonatours.es/web_eng/barcelona_city_tour_ruta_este.html

and this one...

http://www.isango.com/spain-tours/barcelona-tours/barcelona-hop-on-hop-off-pass_5850

Thanks so much for any insight you can give me on this.

Hi Sparky

How are you?

Yes it was the Bus Turistica. Think it was the Viator one. It was about a 10 minute walk up a reasonably steep hill (more a steady incline). There were no bus stops at the park gates - it is really a narrow residential street. When we were waiting at the stop to rejoin the red route, we saw several ordinary bus stop there too, Can't remember which route.

I haven't yet read all this review so my question might have been covered.

We are sailing on the Splendida - We understand that there is tea/coffee served at tea time with snacks.

Did you have this on the Fantasia ?

No we didn't which quite surprised me as they always did afternoon tea on all the other MSC cruises I'd been on. I checked the daily programme a few times as I was purposely looking to see what time and where it was and never saw anything about it.

AmoMondodo - I just read a post by someone who has just got off the Splendida and they said tea is served between 3.30 and 5.

As regards the 'Italian' way of doing things - when we were in Monte Carlo we ordered tea and it was served in a jug . I'm sure Monte Carlo has experience in dealing with up scale international tourists !

Similar to the Gem. We were given brandy with an ice cube and in an ordinary tumbler. Plus in November we didn't fancy glasses full of ice with just a little water.

You have to go with the flow and accept different tastes.

No we didn't which quite surprised me as they always did afternoon tea on all the other MSC cruises I'd been on. I checked the daily programme a few times as I was purposely looking to see what time and where it was and never saw anything about it.

hi ,we were on Fantasia in septembre and yes there were tea time ,but it was right after the lunch buffet,from 4 till 5,sometimes there were still people having lunch,maybe this is why u didn t notice it.

hi ,we were on Fantasia in septembre and yes there were tea time ,but it was right after the lunch buffet,from 4 till 5,sometimes there were still people having lunch,maybe this is why u didn t notice it.

Glad to har that. I always have second dinner seating so often enjoy the afternoon tea. I was on the Fantasia late April and May and I was worried it had fallen victim to cost cuts.

Hi AmoMondo. :)

I'm fine thanks. My laptop died though...blue screen of death, so I lost all my bookmarks/folders with my cruise research in..not just for this cruise, but everything I've kept from ports we have already visited too. I'm madly trying to scramble something together for our upcoming cruise.

I see we'll both be on the High Seas at the same time. :)

In fact you'll have left Genoa just hours before we arrive. Enjoy your cruise...I'm sure you will, & thanks for your help. I think I have Barcelona sorted now..just wavering with Palermo.

Bon Voyage!

Oh what a nightmare losing all your info so close to sailing, I know how like me you are, doing all your research months ahead and I presu,me like me, you don't get around to printing it off to close to your sailing date.

We did the HoHo in Palermo - it has 2 routes too with the second (Blue route only running in the afternoon). It has a pport stop. It was OK but they 2 routes did overlap a bit. Make sure you try cassata in a cafe somewhere. It is delicious but absolutely nothing like the stuff you get in Italian restaurants here

Enjoy your trip on the fantasi - she truly is lovely - I'm slightly worried she has now ruined me for the smaller older ships!

I am definately IT challenged so please bear with me.

Someone once recommended getting a g-mail or yahoo e-mail address. As they are .com they are sort of a web page and the info is not stored on your hard disk. So I was told to e-mail important stuff eg photo's and word docs to myself and when you get 'the blue screen of death' (which happened to me a few months ago) the info won't be lost.

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say. It's a tragedy to lose work that takes so long to accumulate.

Archived