Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

DubrovnikTravelLady.

I've read all of this thread and to be honest these's so much information I've tied myself in knots.

I was wondering if you'd be so kind as to advice me on the following.

Myself and DW are in Dubrovnik next Sunday from 7AM till 7PM. I am planning to do: -

Taxi to the cable car. (Will they accept Euros?)

Up the cable car, admire the views etc. return down the cable car.

Walk to the old town, have a look around and grab a spot of lunch.

Walk the walls

Taxi back to the ship.

Will that be possible on a Sunday? For example will there be fewer taxis about or will cafès restaurants be closed.

Thanks in advance.

You will no doubt have read that Dubrovniklady won't be able to post here until after 7 October so far too late for your cruise. However, we are planning to do exactly the same as you when we go in October and I feel sure that there will still be plenty of taxis around as well as cafes and shops all wanting the trade that cruise ship passengers will bring.

Have a question. I have friends here from Dubrovnik, here in Michigan. They have not been home in a long time. I would like to bring something from home that they would enjoy. Can I find a special food treat from there that is packaged? If so, what is it called and where should I look? We will be arriving by ship. Thank you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

DubrovnikTravelLady.

I've read all of this thread and to be honest these's so much information I've tied myself in knots.

I was wondering if you'd be so kind as to advice me on the following.

Myself and DW are in Dubrovnik next Sunday from 7AM till 7PM. I am planning to do: -

Taxi to the cable car. (Will they accept Euros?)

Up the cable car, admire the views etc. return down the cable car.

Walk to the old town, have a look around and grab a spot of lunch.

Walk the walls

Taxi back to the ship.

Will that be possible on a Sunday? For example will there be fewer taxis about or will cafès restaurants be closed.

Thanks in advance.

Cable car will accept credit card, better off using that rather than waste your Euros here. Nothing is closed here on Sunday, with the exception of a few private shops. You should have enough time to do all you have listed. Hope this reaches you in time.

There are 6 in our group that will be in Dubrovnik on 20/9/13.We need to get from the port to the lift. 6 will not fit in a Taxi so do you have any suggestions? Have tried to find a van service with no success. 2 Taxis,bus, link to van service???????:confused::eek::rolleyes:

Two taxis, the only way to go.

Cable car will accept credit card, better off using that rather than waste your Euros here. Nothing is closed here on Sunday, with the exception of a few private shops. You should have enough time to do all you have listed. Hope this reaches you in time.

Thank you travel lady.

Really looking forward to Dubrovnik. I'm sure it's going to be the highlight of our cruise.

Sadly I am only in port from 8:00 till 1:00. I am not sure when we will be able to get off the ship and I think we should be back on board by 12:30. How long will it take to get into town by a taxi ?

I would love to do a 10:00 1 1/2 hr city tour and also walk the wall, but am worried I will not be able to do both. If I had to choose, would it make more sense to do a 9:30 wall tour for 1 1/2 hr and then do the city on my own. I am afraid of doing the wall after and running into a problem getting back to the ship.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Take your time to enjoy the old part of town with our historical and cultural sites. The entire route around the wall can take up to two hours. Do the seaside, about one hour if you stop for photos. Honestly I no longer walk the walls, been up there far too many times and my old knees cannot take the many, many, many, many steps.

You will no doubt have read that Dubrovniklady won't be able to post here until after 7 October so far too late for your cruise. However, we are planning to do exactly the same as you when we go in October and I feel sure that there will still be plenty of taxis around as well as cafes and shops all wanting the trade that cruise ship passengers will bring.

I can get back on CC about once a week, but am still using a European keyboard which is not easy for this old American lady. Taxis will be waiting at the port, enjoy your time here.

I would like to go to Medjugorje on Oct 30. We dock in the morning and only have 10-11 hours and need to find a tour that can get us back before our 6pm sailing. Any suggestions?

Do not attempt this trip unless it is with your ship shore excursions. It is much too far and can be difficult to make your return time. Anyhow it is not much to see these days, it now looks like Main street Disneyland.

Have a question. I have friends here from Dubrovnik, here in Michigan. They have not been home in a long time. I would like to bring something from home that they would enjoy. Can I find a special food treat from there that is packaged? If so, what is it called and where should I look? We will be arriving by ship. Thank you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You may want to stop by the wine shop at Puci palace hotel. Buy the bottle of prosek, it is a locally made after dinner drink and very good. Also see if you can find a shop which sells our sugar oranges, fig sausage or candied almonds.

We believe our ship will be arranging a free shuttle to the Pile Gate but we'd like to go on the cable car first. Is it worth us getting a taxi from the ship to the cable car station or can we easily walk from the Pile Gate to the cable cars?

Yes you can walk from the old town to the cable car, but it will waste time. Take a taxi to the entrance and save yourself the time and hassle.

Dubrovniktravellady.

They call your town the pearl of the Adriatic! It should be a diamond!

Myself and my DW spend a wonderful day there yesterday, a day we'll talk about until we're old and grey.

The advice and suggestions you give on this thread were invaluable to us to fit so much in on one day in port.

And for that I would like to say thank you. Already looking forward to a return visit next March.

Paul & Jean.

Edited by papcx

Hello, thinking about booking a Dubrovnik land and sea excursion in order to view the city walls from the sea, but wondering if we want to give up an hour of our time in Dubrovnik in order to take the boat trip. Has anyone taken a similar tour and have any suggestions? thank you very much for your help

Dubrovniktravellady.

They call your town the pearl of the Adriatic! It should be a diamond!

Myself and my DW spend a wonderful day there yesterday, a day we'll talk about until we're old and grey.

The advice and suggestions you give on this thread were invaluable to us to fit so much in on one day in port.

And for that I would like to say thank you. Already looking forward to a return visit next March.

Paul & Jean.

It was Lord Byron who named Dubrovnik the pearl of the Adriatic and I certainly do love living here. Returning here in March, make sure you have a very sturdy umbrella, raincoat and lots of layer type clothing. Some years it is spring, this past March it was still winter. Let me know when you will be here again, we can sip a coffee on the Cavtat Riva.

Hello. Can someone tell me which public bus route goes closest to the base of the mountain to access the trail. Or is it just simpler to walk from the pile gate. Thank you

Bklynhtsnyc

No bus stop on the highway. Are you asking about the serpentine trail up to the top of Mt Srd? It will take a very long time to get to the highway from Pile gate and more time climbing up the mountain goat path. Take the cable car up and if adventurous, walk down the trail to the highway. Be very careful getting to the other side, it is rather a game of Russian roulette to reach that side and there are not walkways nor much of a edge to reach the way back to the old part of town.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Hello, thinking about booking a Dubrovnik land and sea excursion in order to view the city walls from the sea, but wondering if we want to give up an hour of our time in Dubrovnik in order to take the boat trip. Has anyone taken a similar tour and have any suggestions? thank you very much for your help

Spend you limited time exploring the old part of town. Walk the city walls and enjoy the views. The view of the wall from the sea is not very interesting at all. The old town has so much more to offer.

Spend you limited time exploring the old part of town. Walk the city walls and enjoy the views. The view of the wall from the sea is not very interesting at all. The old town has so much more to offer.

Thank you so much for your reply; as so many others have said we really appreciate all your help. As we read through this thread we have gained so much valuable information. We will plan to spend our time in the Old City and ride the cable car to the museum. thanks again

Edited by more2sea