Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Thanks. I'm going to guess that as bad as the rates might be at the banks, it's worse on the ship. After I asked my question I remembered we stop in Split first, so I'll probably exchange enough there.

Re the taxis, are they metered or do I need to negotiate with the driver first?

Our time in cruise ports is so short that I really like to maximize it (read - over a couple of dollars I don't like to spend my time looking for a place to exchange money). My American bank was able to get me kunas at a reasonable exchange rate for a couple of dollar fee.

Thanks. I'm going to guess that as bad as the rates might be at the banks, it's worse on the ship. After I asked my question I remembered we stop in Split first, so I'll probably exchange enough there.

Re the taxis, are they metered or do I need to negotiate with the driver first?

Taxi from the harbor have a set rate, no need to negotiate as the rate is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros.

For what it is worth, during our recent port stop in Dubrovnik, we were able to pay with Euros for everything. Taxi, souvenirs, krempita, cocktails....so unless you are staying for a long time or expecting to do some shopping away from the tourist area - I don't think you need to worry about exchanging money.

Girlfriend and I are port in Dubrovnik for day in June.She is doing a tour with girlfriends.I want to go to a beach and relax .I am a disabled vet ,walking a cane.Point being,I don't think I could navigate a rocky,steep climb down to a beach.Would like to go to a beach,easy to access,where I can rent lounge chair,have a cold bev,etc.At a hotel would not mind paying a day fee,etc.Any thoughts?

Girlfriend and I are port in Dubrovnik for day in June.She is doing a tour with girlfriends.I want to go to a beach and relax .I am a disabled vet ,walking a cane.Point being,I don't think I could navigate a rocky,steep climb down to a beach.Would like to go to a beach,easy to access,where I can rent lounge chair,have a cold bev,etc.At a hotel would not mind paying a day fee,etc.Any thoughts?

We are not known for our beaches and Banje is the only one near to the old town. That being said it does have steps to reach it, but they are not that bad. Both the Villa Argentina and Hotel Excelsior do not have any beach since they are situated above the water level. They do both have elevators to reach the lower levels which could work for you. If they would allow a non guest to use the facilities, I really do not know. You may want to send them an email and do note in your request that you are a Vet, it may help.

You might try one of the properties in our Lapad area, they do have much better access to the sea. It is in the outlying area of town, not adjacent to the old part and would require a taxi ride.

I do hope your arrival date here is late in June as our weather has not been good. We have very few days of sunny warm weather in May and the forecast is wind, rain and coolish temperatures for the next week. I will try to find more information for you, when is your exact arrival date for Dubrovnik?

Thank you for your kind reply-we will be there July 3rd-hopeful for good weather by then.Really I'm not opposed to being at a pool or overlooking a beach,where I can get sun and see the water.Thanks for your help.

A day trip to the Elefiti's would take too much time. This trip should not be done unless one has more than just one afternoon in town. Visiting all 3 islands is a must, they are more than spectacular. The all day trip usually cost about 250 Kuna per person, includes lunch and unlimited wine or beer. Wonderful trip!

Where can I get info about the trip to the 3 islands?

Whats the weather like in september? Does it get cold and rainy? Were coming from florida wereits very hot and humid almost year round

If I could only accurately predict the weather, then I would be sitting in a lovely villa overlooking the sea. I can only tell you this past May it was miserable, too much rain and still chilly. We have not begun with our hot and humid summer yet, but do expect it to begin very shortly. That being said, I can only tell you September last year was lovely, still hot but not as hot as July & August. However again, the year prior it was perfect and we went from a hot summer into a gorgeous Indian summer.

Normally November is our wettest month and I do hope you arrive to find us enjoying a pleasant September.

Where can I get info about the trip to the 3 islands?

You can google Elifiti islands and find many listings and reviews of the trips offered. As a local resident I am not able to recommend any specific tour as per cruise critic rules. That being said, most of the boat trips are a minimum of 6 to 10 hours. If you are arriving by a cruise ship, I doubt highly you will have sufficient time for the trip. There is a ferry boat which will take you to 1 island, but the timing is not good to do all 3 with our ferry schedules.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

• 2 weeks later...

I had mentioned many posts back that I would be touring with Cheap Dubrovnik Tours and had been impressed with their responsiveness. Unfortunately, the tour was not what we anticipated. We were assigned a driver rather than a tour guide.

While we saw a lot (and it was spectacular!), we didn't receive the commentary we expected. The manager apologized and said he had used someone who was not one of his regular guides. I just saw on Tripadvisor that someone else recently had the same experience.

I had mentioned many posts back that I would be touring with Cheap Dubrovnik Tours and had been impressed with their responsiveness. Unfortunately, the tour was not what we anticipated. We were assigned a driver rather than a tour guide.

While we saw a lot (and it was spectacular!), we didn't receive the commentary we expected. The manager apologized and said he had used someone who was not one of his regular guides. I just saw on Tripadvisor that someone else recently had the same experience.

Holly, please do post your review on tripadvisor, it will help those with future plans. We have many good companies here, with certified guides/drivers. I do hope you will have the opportunity to visit our area again, and we will make certain you have an English speaking guide.

We are going to be there on Friday, November 22. I haven't read this whole thread (yet), so forgive any redundancy. What sites that would normally be "must see" are closed or perhaps less desirable to see this time of year? How would you advise someone to best spend a day at this time of year?

We are going to be there on Friday, November 22. I haven't read this whole thread (yet), so forgive any redundancy. What sites that would normally be "must see" are closed or perhaps less desirable to see this time of year? How would you advise someone to best spend a day at this time of year?

None of our historical sites are closed, however hours are shorter. The city wall is open from 0900 until 1500, cable car from 0900 to 1700. My personal favorites are the Rupe Museum, Sponza Palace, Rectors Palace and Franciscan Monastery. Site to assist your planning:

http://www.dumus.hr/en/dubrovnik-museums/

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/index.php#.UczkjjtpNfc

My sister & I just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Norwegian Jade. Thanks to all of the fantastic advice provided by Dubrovniktravellady, we were able to see all we wanted during our stop in Dubrovnik. I thought I would share how we did it, which may be helpful for others:

Ship docked at 2 pm and we decided it would be easiest to take the ship's shuttle ($12 roundtrip). It dropped us off at the Pile gate and we decided to climb to the wall from that location. The steps are rather steep and I took a short breather before getting to the top, but I'm 65 so figured I deserved it! It was well worth the climb. What beautiful views of the sea & the city within the walls. We walked around to the Ploce gate where we decended and then walked out of the city to the cable car (great directions Dubrovnik Lady!). We thoroughly enjoyed our ride up & back down, enjoying the views from every angle. We then reentered the town at the Buza gate, which is a short walk from the cable car. There are many steps down into the town, but it was not difficult. We then walked around the town, enjoying all the sights. Finally got back to the Pile gate and took the shuttle back to the ship. So easy - a wonderful day! :)

At the beginning of this long thread, I read that they took Euros for the admission to the wall. However, I believe they no longer accept euros. Then I read that we can pay for the admission to the wall by credit card. At this time, how do we pay for admission to climb the wall? I heard that we can take a bus from the cruise port to the gate of the wall. 1A or 1B bus. About 30 minute ride. Is this correct? Will I be able to pay for the bus with credit card or euros?

Thank you for your reply.

At the beginning of this long thread, I read that they took Euros for the admission to the wall. However, I believe they no longer accept euros. Then I read that we can pay for the admission to the wall by credit card. At this time, how do we pay for admission to climb the wall? I heard that we can take a bus from the cruise port to the gate of the wall. 1A or 1B bus. About 30 minute ride. Is this correct? Will I be able to pay for the bus with credit card or euros?

Thank you for your reply.

City wall fee is payable by Croatian Kuna only, no foreign currency and yes they will accept credit cards. Our local Libertas bus can only accept Croatian currency, no credit cards or Euros. Although Croatia is now part of the EU, they have not yet begun the process of changing the currency to Euros which will take several more years.

I read somewhere that when you exit the cruise there are taxis available that can take you to piles gate for 10 euro or they can do a panoramic tour for one hour for 50 euro that will end up at the main entrance is this true?

Yes, that has been the situation each time we have been to Dubrovnik, one of our favourite places to visit.