Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

We sailed celebrity and we had a shuttle bus that was going back and forth all day...you might end up with the same kind of deal. The distance to town isn't far but I would not walk it in the heat. I noticed lots of taxis waiting at the dock and again lots of taxis when you exit the walls of the town. You should not have a problem.

We sailed Celebrity on November 2013. We got local currency at an exchange booths located at the pier. I read there were also ATM.

We took the local bus into town and back. Be sure to validate as it seemed inspector came on at the next stop to trap the tourists.

What would you recommend for transportation from the pier to the old town? Are there ATMs at the Pier to get Kunas? I will have a Credit card, but like to have local cash too.

Is there any food item that I should not miss while in Dubrovnik?

Thank you

Your ship will have shuttle buses which run frequently, contact your cruise line for cost. A taxi is the fastest and easiest means to reach the old part of town, cost is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros and yes drivers will accept Euros. You will find a better selection of ATM machines inside of the town, exchange houses often have lower rates.

Our fresh fish is always a good choice, but do be careful as the cost is based on weight. If you are a meat eater, do not miss trying civapcici, an amazing skinless sausage and very tasty. I love dirty macaroni, also meat based and very nice. My all time favorite is Adriatic baby squid which we call "ligni" and not calamari. Cooked differently than the Italian version, served whole.

Enjoy!

We sailed Celebrity on November 2013. We got local currency at an exchange booths located at the pier. I read there were also ATM.

We took the local bus into town and back. Be sure to validate as it seemed inspector came on at the next stop to trap the tourists.

A FYI, our bus inspectors are not trying to trap tourists but looking for those who board the buses without paying. They can board a bus at any stop to check tickets and our local bus passes. Often our younger generation will board a very crowded bus from a rear door and not pay, hence the need for inspections.

A FYI, our bus inspectors are not trying to trap tourists but looking for those who board the buses without paying. They can board a bus at any stop to check tickets and our local bus passes. Often our younger generation will board a very crowded bus from a rear door and not pay, hence the need for inspections.

I beg to differ. The inspector got on at the stop immediately after the port and checked only the tourists' tickets. This is not unique to Dubrovnick - same thing all over Europe as so many American tourists screw up the validation requirements.

I beg to differ. The inspector got on at the stop immediately after the port and checked only the tourists' tickets. This is not unique to Dubrovnick - same thing all over Europe as so many American tourists screw up the validation requirements.

Perhaps the past 6 years of riding our local buses, I have not noticed that the inspectors only check tourists tickets. When they board I have always seen them check all the people on the bus. Exactly how would they know which are the tourists, some of you do not stand out. Our validation cannot be screwed up as the ticket only goes in one way, the driver will take it out and insert it in properly if it does not make the correct sound. As a retiree my bus pass is free for locals and must be validated once a year at our main bus office. It cannot be used unless the annual validation has been done. Also the paper tickets which are sold by driver or bought at the kiosks are validated when they are inserted into the box at bus entrance. If you have a ticket, it is validated. Inspectors are looking for those who are using another persons bus pass or one who has boarded with no ticket.

Dubrovniklady

You seem to know so much about the town, a question. Is there anyway to get to Lovrijenac (I understand this is the fort above the town with many steps) without having to walk the steps. I would be willing to hire a horse drawn carriage if that works :)

We will be visiting and an event is scheduled at the fort.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Dubrovniklady

You seem to know so much about the town, a question. Is there anyway to get to Lovrijenac (I understand this is the fort above the town with many steps) without having to walk the steps. I would be willing to hire a horse drawn carriage if that works :)

We will be visiting and an event is scheduled at the fort.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

There is no way to reach Fort Lovrijenac other than steps. However there are two routes up there and not use the original old steps you can see.

Stand at the entrance to the Orhan restaurant, the sea on your left. Take the path on your right, pass the old home in need of renovation. Take the first set of steps to your left and begin moving upward. There are several flat areas where you can rest. Once you reach the garden area, sit at one of the benches. You can now take the steps to reach the entrance to the fort.

Something very important about the entrance, just above the door is an inscription in Latin. Translated is reads "Freedom is not to be sold for all the gold in the world."

Croatian word for freedom is Libertas, a word you will see in Dubrovnik on our flag, bus and other notable places.

When I retired to live in Dubrovnik, I made it my mission to learn all that I could. However my heritage is American Croatian and I knew much about the area since I had been visiting here since 1971, long before many 'discovered' our area.

The Cabrio bus trip is a great experience, I've done this trip twice this year. This is an open air bus, with a sun roof, which will depart from the Pile Brsalje Square at the western entrance to the old town. They have headsets in English and will take you on a two hour drive around the old and newer parts of town. The price is 90 kuna per person, they do NOT accept any other currency and no credit cards. They make two photo stops, one at the Gruz harbor the other at the Vidikovac viewpoint above the old town.

After your bus trip, please do walk down the Stradun and check out the side streets. There are some lovely shops where you can buy some local handicrafts, home made honey and perhaps a Croatian necktie.

By the way, we do not call our squid, calamari. In Croatia grilled baby squid is "Lignji" and it is not prepared like the squid in America or Italy.

I am interested in the best way to see Dubrovnik. Princess Regal docked September from 9-5. Is there a tour group or guide etc. that you can recommend. Also what are must see/dos? 4pk@thehighlandschurch.com

What would you recommend for transportation from the pier to the old town? Are there ATMs at the Pier to get Kunas? I will have a Credit card, but like to have local cash too.

Is there any food item that I should not miss while in Dubrovnik?

Thank you

Burek from the Bosnian bakery, scampi buzara, palachinka,princes krafne krema is even more tasty than kreme pita.blitvah and potatoes.

In the summer the only fresh fish from the sea worth eating are the sardines and squid, most of the cat 1 fish is either frozen or farmed.My wifes family are fishing people.

Perhaps the past 6 years of riding our local buses, I have not noticed that the inspectors only check tourists tickets. When they board I have always seen them check all the people on the bus. Exactly how would they know which are the tourists, some of you do not stand out. Our validation cannot be screwed up as the ticket only goes in one way, the driver will take it out and insert it in properly if it does not make the correct sound. As a retiree my bus pass is free for locals and must be validated once a year at our main bus office. It cannot be used unless the annual validation has been done. Also the paper tickets which are sold by driver or bought at the kiosks are validated when they are inserted into the box at bus entrance. If you have a ticket, it is validated. Inspectors are looking for those who are using another persons bus pass or one who has boarded with no ticket.
very diplomatically put and of course completely accurate.

I am interested in the best way to see Dubrovnik. Princess Regal docked September from 9-5. Is there a tour group or guide etc. that you can recommend. Also what are must see/dos? 4pk@thehighlandschurch.com

Many sites are worth visiting if you have an interest in our history and culture. As for a tour or guide recommendation, the rules of cruise critic do not permit local residents to give any type of recommendations.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Burek from the Bosnian bakery, scampi buzara, palachinka,princes krafne krema is even more tasty than kreme pita.blitvah and potatoes.

In the summer the only fresh fish from the sea worth eating are the sardines and squid, most of the cat 1 fish is either frozen or farmed.My wifes family are fishing people.

Yes I agree on all the listed foods, but I must admit that krempita is my all time favorite far above a krafne.

Yes I agree on all the listed foods, but I must admit that krempita is my all time favorite far above a krafne.
then you should try them in Jelsa Hvar my nephews say they are the best in Croatia.

Have you visited Serbia yet? the food is the best in ex Yugoslavia .

then you should try them in Jelsa Hvar my nephews say they are the best in Croatia.

Have you visited Serbia yet? the food is the best in ex Yugoslavia .

Unfortunately we have not been able to travel much lately, hope this will change this fall. I certainly will give krempita a try when we hit Hvar.

Unfortunately we have not been able to travel much lately, hope this will change this fall. I certainly will give krempita a try when we hit Hvar.

That is why I gave you my email. Thought maybe you could take a minute to advise. ;)

Dear Dubrovniktravelady, first of all thank you for making yourself available to travellers on this board. I read the last 10 pages and found some really great information. We will be there Monday, Aug 18 12-8pm. Based on what I have read here and since we are arriving at high noon, I think we will do the following the cable car first then walk the wall. My question is how much kunas do you think we will need? I would like to pay credit card wherever possible. We are a party of 6 (4 adults and 2 kids) and will need local currency for the following:

2 Taxis to town

Cable car for 4 adults 2 kids

Wall entrance fee for 4 adults 2 kids - credit card??

Quick local lunch/snack

Gelato

Dinner - credit card

2 Taxis back to port

Thought of another question...I'm thinking we should have our quick lunch outside the wall...can anyone suggest a place to eat or a good website to search. We want something quick and nothing fancy but good local food.

Thanks so much!!

Edited by janiss815

Dear Dubrovniktravelady, first of all thank you for making yourself available to travellers on this board. I read the last 10 pages and found some really great information. We will be there Monday, Aug 18 12-8pm. Based on what I have read here and since we are arriving at high noon, I think we will do the following the cable car first then walk the wall. My question is how much kunas do you think we will need? I would like to pay credit card wherever possible. We are a party of 6 (4 adults and 2 kids) and will need local currency for the following:

2 Taxis to town

Cable car for 4 adults 2 kids

Wall entrance fee for 4 adults 2 kids - credit card??

Quick local lunch/snack

Gelato

Dinner - credit card

2 Taxis back to port

Thought of another question...I'm thinking we should have our quick lunch outside the wall...can anyone suggest a place to eat or a good website to search. We want something quick and nothing fancy but good local food.

Thanks so much!!

Thank you, I appreciate that you took the time to read some of the posts. Taxis will take Croatian Kuna or Euros, fare from the harbor is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros. City wall will accept credit card or Kuna, no foreign currency. Gelato is Kuna only, maybe 20 each for a cup. Lunch and dinner can be paid by credit card, very few restaurants will only accept cash and many will take Euros - ask first before you are seated. Cable car can be paid by credit card. Any small snacks you will need Kuna, you can use any of the many ATM machines located around the old town. Lest amount you can withdraw is 100 Kuna, but for 6 adults you may need more.

Be prepared for the heat, bring a sun hat, very strong sun screen, good walking shoes and take your own bottled water up on the wall. Buy it at any of the small shops, but be prepared it is never ever cold. Do not bother to ask for ice anywhere, you will only get a couple of miniature cubes which melt within seconds.

Sorry I am unable to recommend any good local restaurants, as per cruise critic rules. I will warn you that most of our food is cooked to order, so service is never fast. Lunch is our main meal and often can take hours. Make an effort to find a place which suits your needs, wish I could help.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady