Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Thanks for all the great info! I was hoping we could walk the wall earlier so that it would not be so hot. Is it likely to be very hot in the middle of May, if we start our walk when the wall opens? I don't do very well in the heat so I'm trying to figure out how bad it will be. I really appreciate your help!

Mid May is normally not very hot here, but our weather has been changing the last few years. The wall opens at 0800 or 0900 (depends of the date) and closes at 1900 and it is always best to get up there as early as possible. Bring a sun hat, sun screen (spf50) and a bottle of water. I normally freeze my water and still have cold water by the end of the walk. If you stop to admire the views and take lots of photos, the entire wall will take between 2 - 3 hours. You may want to consider finishing only half depending on how you feel. There is an exit point just after you pass the old port, you can go down and will then be at the opposite end of town. Time to have a drink, visit Rectors Palace, Sponza Palace and the town green market which is always fun when arriving at exactly high noon.

Enjoy you time here, I certainly every day!

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

What time would the wall open on May 18 ? You have been so very helpful, thank you!

Have not been in the old town the last few weeks to talk with my friends who work there. Last sign I noticed said 0800, but recently someone mentioned 0900. If your ship arrives at 0700, you will likely make it to the old part closer to 0900. Just go up as soon as you arrive, again I doubt the heat will be that bad. May is normally not as unbearable as July & August, so not to worry.

Can I pay with credit card for the city walls?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes you can. We paid with Amex last year.

It's well worth doing the full wall walk (if you can) the views change from each side of the "square" walls. Beautiful. Can't wait to be back in a weeks time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've seen several posts, both on this thread as well as on cruise reviews, that one can get a taxi at the port to provide a 1-1/2 hour "panoramic tour" for 50 euros per taxi. Will the taxis in fact take euros, or do we need to bring kunas with us for this specific trip? And, has the price remained the same for 2014?

Thanks very much!

Sam

I've seen several posts, both on this thread as well as on cruise reviews, that one can get a taxi at the port to provide a 1-1/2 hour "panoramic tour" for 50 euros per taxi. Will the taxis in fact take euros, or do we need to bring kunas with us for this specific trip? And, has the price remained the same for 2014?

Thanks very much!

Sam

Most taxi drivers will offer a panorama tour and will accept Euros. However a driver is not a guide and their exchange rate will be to their advantage, not yours. It is best to obtain some Croatian Kunas from any ATM machine and negotiate the price in Kunas. Hiring a private guide/driver in advance is your best option.

It will be a few years before Croatia can apply to enter the Euro Zone and change over to Euros. Admittance into the EU does not permit a country to immediately change currencies. Keep in mind only 17 of the 28 EU member countries use the Euro.

Most taxi drivers will offer a panorama tour and will accept Euros. However a driver is not a guide and their exchange rate will be to their advantage, not yours. It is best to obtain some Croatian Kunas from any ATM machine and negotiate the price in Kunas. Hiring a private guide/driver in advance is your best option.

It will be a few years before Croatia can apply to enter the Euro Zone and change over to Euros. Admittance into the EU does not permit a country to immediately change currencies. Keep in mind only 17 of the 28 EU member countries use the Euro.

Do you happen to know the current pricing in kunas for the panoramic tour? What can I expect to pay in kunas?

Thanks for all your help!

Do you happen to know the current pricing in kunas for the panoramic tour? What can I expect to pay in kunas?

Thanks for all your help!

I have found many different tours online, some as low as 200 Kuna but more often about 300 to 350 is the going rate. I can give you the site for our Cabrio tour bus which may give you another option. I always begin the season by taking one of the first tours on the bus, it is very good and lasts two hours. Excellent value for the money.

http://www.libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

Hi, Just a quick question, please. Has Croatia switched their currency to the Euro? I have been getting confusing information whether or not Croatia is still using the Kuna or changed to the Euro. Thank you for your help.

Hi, just look at Dubrovniktravelady's post #1634, directly above, in her answer to my earlier question. Still need kuna's for Croatia.

Hi, Just a quick question, please. Has Croatia switched their currency to the Euro? I have been getting confusing information whether or not Croatia is still using the Kuna or changed to the Euro. Thank you for your help.

Entering the European Union does not permit any country to begin using the Euro. It will be several years before Croatia joins the Euro Zone to begin using Euros. Meantime it your advantage to use Croatian Kuna. As the majority of travelers arriving in Croatia are European, you will see prices quoted in Euros. The legal currency of Croatia is the Croatian Kuna, it is the currency you will obtain from any of our ATM machines.

Dubrovniktravellady

We have been in Dubrovnik before. This time we want to take a taxi to the cable car to the top and ride it down, one way, to old town and then explore. Will taxi drivers be willing to take us up and drop us off without charging an exorbitant rate? What should we expect to pay?

Dubrovniktravellady

We have been in Dubrovnik before. This time we want to take a taxi to the cable car to the top and ride it down, one way, to old town and then explore. Will taxi drivers be willing to take us up and drop us off without charging an exorbitant rate? What should we expect to pay?

I cannot quote you an exact rate, but it will not be inexpensive from the harbor. There will be a line of taxis waiting at the docks, you may want to ask a few and see what they offer. Alternatively you can take a taxi directly to the cable car entrance and expect to pay 75 Kuna or 15 Euros. Cable car fee is 94 Kuna round trip and 50 kuna one way. Since I dislike the small one lane road to reach the top, I always take the trip on the tram.

I cannot quote you an exact rate, but it will not be inexpensive from the harbor. There will be a line of taxis waiting at the docks, you may want to ask a few and see what they offer. Alternatively you can take a taxi directly to the cable car entrance and expect to pay 75 Kuna or 15 Euros. Cable car fee is 94 Kuna round trip and 50 kuna one way. Since I dislike the small one lane road to reach the top, I always take the trip on the tram.

Thank you One more question Are there many places that have free wifi?

Thank you One more question Are there many places that have free wifi?

Good question. Since we have become an EU member, it is mandatory that cafes with wifi must offer it for free. That being said, not all cafes have it, my recommendation is to get off the Stradun (main promenade) and walk side streets on the water side of town. You will find several cafes advertising wifi and do make sure that you order something to drink. Our local Dalmatian wine is always a favoritie, try "Mali Plavac" it is a robust dark red and lovely.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dubrovniktravelady:

We will be in your beautiful town early June and are taking a ship excursion called Dubrovnik on your own, which is basically just a bus into Old Town that drops you off and picks you up 7 hours later. We chose to do this over just grabbing a taxi or bus because we want to get to town ASAP. Our plan is to walk the walls first, end to end. Next take the cable car. By the time we finish that it should be time for lunch and after eating we would like to find buza bar (I understand they do not serve food at buza).

A couple of questions please.

-We think we will be ok going to the Pile entrance to walk the walls since we will be there around 8:00 am and we are the only ship in that day. Do you agree or should we still head over to the Ploce entrance?

-After we walk the complete wall, where should we exit to walk to the cable car?

-After we exit the cable car, we want to head in the general direction of the buza bar, stopping for lunch and taking in the sights along the way. You have already recommended civapcici and dirty macaroni. Any other non-seafood suggestions? Which would be the best direction to head in?

-We will be taking some of your local currency with us but we don’t know how much we should plan on. Can you please give us a rough idea what a nice lunch would cost and how much a typical beer and cocktail would be?

-Approximately how far is the buza bar from where the shuttle buses drops off/picks up? How long will it take to walk? We really enjoy walking so the distance is not a problem at all for us, we just want to be sure we have enough time.

I apologize as I know you have answered these questions before but I have read so many pages here that my head is swimming. Thank you.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady:

We will be in your beautiful town early June and are taking a ship excursion called Dubrovnik on your own, which is basically just a bus into Old Town that drops you off and picks you up 7 hours later. We chose to do this over just grabbing a taxi or bus because we want to get to town ASAP. Our plan is to walk the walls first, end to end. Next take the cable car. By the time we finish that it should be time for lunch and after eating we would like to find buza bar (I understand they do not serve food at buza).

A couple of questions please.

-We think we will be ok going to the Pile entrance to walk the walls since we will be there around 8:00 am and we are the only ship in that day. Do you agree or should we still head over to the Ploce entrance?

-After we walk the complete wall, where should we exit to walk to the cable car?

-After we exit the cable car, we want to head in the general direction of the buza bar, stopping for lunch and taking in the sights along the way. You have already recommended civapcici and dirty macaroni. Any other non-seafood suggestions? Which would be the best direction to head in?

-We will be taking some of your local currency with us but we don’t know how much we should plan on. Can you please give us a rough idea what a nice lunch would cost and how much a typical beer and cocktail would be?

-Approximately how far is the buza bar from where the shuttle buses drops off/picks up? How long will it take to walk? We really enjoy walking so the distance is not a problem at all for us, we just want to be sure we have enough time.

I apologize as I know you have answered these questions before but I have read so many pages here that my head is swimming. Thank you.

No food at Buza, an over-hyped and very expensive bar and total tourist trap. If you want to walk the entire wall, may I suggest you enter at the Ploce entrance and do the more difficult upward part first and then you will enjoy the sea side. The Ploce exit is closest to the cable car entrance and it is just a short upward walk to reach the entrance.

As for finding Buza, the best way is to google "how to find buza bar" and read the many posts, some with maps, which explain there are two and my personal choice is the first one with no railings.

There is no way that I can estimate how much cash you will need for lunch. Many, not all, restaurants will accept credit cards. However I do highly recommend that you do not order Croatian Kuna from your bank. Just use the many ATM machines you will find for cash. A beer at Buza will cost you 35 Kuna, any other bar it will be approximately 12 to 15 Kuna.

As for your ship shuttle bus, it will take you longer to reach the old part of town on the bus. Taxi is the fastest and easiest transportation into town, cost is 70 Kuna or 10 Euros and the main drop off point is the Pile entrance.

Buza is not close to the Pile area and you will understand once you see a map. It is well hidden and you must return to the main promenade to return to the Pile Brsalje are to catch the bus or taxi to the harbor. It is not a major walk or distance, but the maze of small streets which can confuse your direction.

No food at Buza, an over-hyped and very expensive bar and total tourist trap. If you want to walk the entire wall, may I suggest you enter at the Ploce entrance and do the more difficult upward part first and then you will enjoy the sea side. The Ploce exit is closest to the cable car entrance and it is just a short upward walk to reach the entrance.

As for finding Buza, the best way is to google "how to find buza bar" and read the many posts, some with maps, which explain there are two and my personal choice is the first one with no railings.

There is no way that I can estimate how much cash you will need for lunch. Many, not all, restaurants will accept credit cards. However I do highly recommend that you do not order Croatian Kuna from your bank. Just use the many ATM machines you will find for cash. A beer at Buza will cost you 35 Kuna, any other bar it will be approximately 12 to 15 Kuna.

As for your ship shuttle bus, it will take you longer to reach the old part of town on the bus. Taxi is the fastest and easiest transportation into town, cost is 70 Kuna or 10 Euros and the main drop off point is the Pile entrance.

Buza is not close to the Pile area and you will understand once you see a map. It is well hidden and you must return to the main promenade to return to the Pile Brsalje are to catch the bus or taxi to the harbor. It is not a major walk or distance, but the maze of small streets which can confuse your direction.

Fantastic. Thank you very much, you have been an incredible help and I appreciate it. I found your blog - it is a great read. I'm already to settle in with a cup of tea to read on:)

No food at Buza, an over-hyped and very expensive bar and total tourist trap.

I would like to politely disagree!

One of DH and my favorite memories is siting at the Buza Bar, under a shady umbrella, overlooking the beautiful water and sipping on a local maraschino cherry liquor. There was only one other couple and the waitress was so nice even though there was a language barrier. We sat there for over an hour as it was so beautiful and peaceful. There was a local fishing on the rocks and a couple tourists swimming. We had already walked the wall and around town and had lunch so maybe we missed the crowds. I did not feel it was any more expensive than other places. We loved it!!

I would like to politely disagree!

One of DH and my favorite memories is siting at the Buza Bar, under a shady umbrella, overlooking the beautiful water and sipping on a local maraschino cherry liquor. There was only one other couple and the waitress was so nice even though there was a language barrier. We sat there for over an hour as it was so beautiful and peaceful. There was a local fishing on the rocks and a couple tourists swimming. We had already walked the wall and around town and had lunch so maybe we missed the crowds. I did not feel it was any more expensive than other places. We loved it!!

Of course you can disagree and I am pleased you enjoyed your time there. Locals do not venture there as we do feel that 35 Kuna for a beer is rather high. Travelers have made Buza the 'in' place here and enjoy the view. It is my personal preference to enjoy the Cavtat Riva, far more interesting and the views are outstanding. Since I reside here I have the opportunity to spend more time finding the hidden gems. Buza will always be the choice for guests, enjoy as it is a fun place. Be aware it is recommended to arrive by 4pm to get a table during the season, sunset will be approximately 8:30pm.

In May the wall opens at 0900 and closes at 1830. Entrance fee this year is 100 Kunas, you can pay with Croatian Kunas or credit card. NO foreign currency is accepted. The walk can take up to 2 hours if you stop for photos, 2 kilometers long and 1080 total steps. Enjoy the views are lovely.

What would you recommend for transportation from the pier to the old town? Are there ATMs at the Pier to get Kunas? I will have a Credit card, but like to have local cash too.

Is there any food item that I should not miss while in Dubrovnik?

Thank you