Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Guess I'll just "stretch my legs" if needed, dinner on board will be 1900. Of course if you have a great restaurant suggestion we may eat in town. We have included tours, then to Gromaca for "home hosted" dinner on our full day.

Dubrovnik closes down for winter hibernation on 01 November, today. You will not find many restaurants open, let alone during the evening hours. Those few which remain open during winter are mainly for lunch, our main meal. Sorry but the rules of cruise critic do not permit any local residents to recommend any specific restaurants. Stay on board until the next morning...

Dubrovnik closes down for winter hibernation on 01 November, today. You will not find many restaurants open, let alone during the evening hours. Those few which remain open during winter are mainly for lunch, our main meal. Sorry but the rules of cruise critic do not permit any local residents to recommend any specific restaurants. Stay on board until the next morning...

Thanks again . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I've just spent a few hrs this weekend reading the entirety of this thread. I will be in your fair city on Aug 8/14 on the Regal Princess and have a feeling this is the port I will be the most well prepared for, given your generosity and patience in answering questions for over 4 years. Did I read that you have a blog? Would love to know the history behind your move to Croatia. My 14 and 16 year olds are quite excited about porting in Dubrovnik as they've had many Croatian soccer players on teams they've played on.

To ensure my information is not out dated, can you please answer the following for the umpteenth time?!

-is it still the equivalent of 10 euro one way for the cab to the city walls from the port?

-better to pay the cabbie in local currency or by credit card?

-if we are in port from 9-6, what time of day should we do the wall?

-2 hrs for the entire wall for able bodied people?

-what are the non-fish type local fare we should try?

-how much local currency required for a family of four, for cab to/from port, city wall, gondola up and down, gelato? Roughly speaking of course

-any beaches within walking distance for the kids to take a 1/2 hr dip? They've heard about the beautiful Adriatic beaches from their friends.

-did I read that the Ploce entrance is the less busy one and a better place to start or was that Pile?

Thank you so much!

Edited by hsaroya

Wow, you took the time to read the entire thread - congratulations! Please do keep in mind that the entrance fees may change for next season. There is no way to know until we are closer to the opening of the season next year.

As of today, taxi cost to Pile gate is 10 Euros or 75 Kuna. Yes it is best to use local currency in Dubrovnik always. Taxi drivers do not accept credit cards.

Walk the wall as early as possible, try not to be up there at high noon and 2 hours is the norm for many with photo stops along the path.

Non seafood dishes are civapcici (very tasty small sausages), dirty macaroni (meat sauce, no tomatoes) and most restaurants offer menus in English, many with photos.

Cannot answer how much Kuna you will need, cash is only needed for taxi and gelato and perhaps some small purchases such as water, candy or souvenirs.

Banje beach is closest to the old town, you can swim there but do keep in mind we do not have sandy beaches.

Yes it is true, Ploca (plo-cha) entrance is much easier to start the wall and less busy. However the taxi ride from the port to Ploce is 95 Kuna or 13 Euros.

Perhaps you may want to download the town map to help you get your bearings of locations. The cable car does accept credit cards and is also a good point to begin your trip, then walk down to Ploce and do the walls next.

You will be here in August, very hot, humid and many many tourists. Plan your day carefully and be prepared for changes which may come up. Yes I do write a blog, but am not sure if I am permitted to give you the website, cruise critic does not allow advertising.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Wow, you took the time to read the entire thread - congratulations! Please do keep in mind that the entrance fees may change for next season. There is no way to know until we are closer to the opening of the season next year.

As of today, taxi cost to Pile gate is 10 Euros or 75 Kuna. Yes it is best to use local currency in Dubrovnik always. Taxi drivers do not accept credit cards.

Walk the wall as early as possible, try not to be up there at high noon and 2 hours is the norm for many with photo stops along the path.

Non seafood dishes are civapcici (very tasty small sausages), dirty macaroni (meat sauce, no tomatoes) and most restaurants offer menus in English, many with photos.

Cannot answer how much Kuna you will need, cash is only needed for taxi and gelato and perhaps some small purchases such as water, candy or souvenirs.

Banje beach is closest to the old town, you can swim there but do keep in mind we do not have sandy beaches.

Yes it is true, Ploca (plo-cha) entrance is much easier to start the wall and less busy. However the taxi ride from the port to Ploce is 95 Kuna or 13 Euros.

Perhaps you may want to download the town map to help you get your bearings of locations. The cable car does accept credit cards and is also a good point to begin your trip, then walk down to Ploce and do the walls next.

You will be here in August, very hot, humid and many many tourists. Plan your day carefully and be prepared for changes which may come up. Yes I do write a blog, but am not sure if I am permitted to give you the website, cruise critic does not allow advertising.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Appears that you are an early riser! Is the green market you've made references to a good way to spend some time and see some local culture?

How far a walk is the Banje beach?

Do you find your local cruise ship website to be more accurate than some of the other ones? Right now, a huge discrepancy in terms of how many ships at port that day.

Thanks and have a good morning. Bed time here and more snow coming tomorrow!

Visiting the green market is always fun and interesting, but you need to arrive there before Noon when it closes down. That being said, the spectacular of the pigeons lunch at high noon is definite photo opportunity and fun the kids.

Banje beach is about a 10 minute walk from the Ploce gate entrance, just keep walking east and you cannot miss it.

Our port authority website is much more accurate than many others I have seen. However do keep in mind that additional arrivals may be posted.

Yes you are correct, I am an early riser and enjoy responding to the cruise critic questions as I sip my morning coffee. It is my quiet time, no interruptions, no outside noise and I must get out early to buy our daily bread. No driving to the store to buy freshly baked bread here, it is a stroll to the corner early every morning.

Pleased to hear you found the blog, it is my labor of love for my retirement home. Enjoy as there are many stories which may give you an insight into our historical sites. And my personal story of how I came to live here is posted.

Visiting the green market is always fun and interesting, but you need to arrive there before Noon when it closes down. That being said, the spectacular of the pigeons lunch at high noon is definite photo opportunity and fun the kids.

Banje beach is about a 10 minute walk from the Ploce gate entrance, just keep walking east and you cannot miss it.

Our port authority website is much more accurate than many others I have seen. However do keep in mind that additional arrivals may be posted.

Yes you are correct, I am an early riser and enjoy responding to the cruise critic questions as I sip my morning coffee. It is my quiet time, no interruptions, no outside noise and I must get out early to buy our daily bread. No driving to the store to buy freshly baked bread here, it is a stroll to the corner early every morning.

Pleased to hear you found the blog, it is my labor of love for my retirement home. Enjoy as there are many stories which may give you an insight into our historical sites. And my personal story of how I came to live here is posted.

One large creamy organic peanut butter coming. :) sorry, it'll have to be Kraft; no Trader Joe's in Canada!

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Equinox. Found the hike up the mountain in spite of these boards. Thought I would share what I can recall to help the next ones who want to walk off some of their cruise food.

We had trouble finding the start so these notes are trying to reverse our descent. Take bus or cab to pile gate. Start heading up hill. Go on road between wall and imperial hotel, after less than a block, take the inclined path to your left and prepare for lots of steps. About midway, there was a "y" - go slight left. With luck, you will end up on the busy top road where the roadway splits or exits from the main road and part goes into a tunnel down to the city. Look across the sroadway and there is a beige pathway leading into the wooded area. This is the start. It is sort of rugged at first as steps are not maintained. Eventually you are on just a sloping trail that zigzags up the hill. Interesting plaques with the stations of the cross at the turns. Took us about one and a half hours up but that included wandering around town trying to find the start. The pathway is rocky and good walking or hiking shoes are a must. It is a fairly gentle slope but you must watch your footing.

After this hike we did the walls and still had time to shop and have a wonderful snack. We were in port from about 9 to 6.

We were there in November, so our problem was rain. It would be brutally hot in high season. But the cable car was closed during our visit due to winds, so we were some of only a few from our ship to enjoy the view from the top. Others arrived in cabs.

Good luck. We did not find most locals very helpful for directions, so had to just keep looking. The staff in the tourist booth was down right surly.

We will arrive in Dubrovnik on the RSSC Mariner on Easter Sunday in 2014. We are curious what will be open. Will we be able to walk the walls? Will any shops or restaurants be open? The city appears to be very doable without any tour, but if most of the old town will be closed, we may want to do a tour and see some of the countryside. Appreciate all the other recommendations and the link to the maps. Thanks, Jeff

We will arrive in Dubrovnik on the RSSC Mariner on Easter Sunday in 2014. We are curious what will be open. Will we be able to walk the walls? Will any shops or restaurants be open? The city appears to be very doable without any tour, but if most of the old town will be closed, we may want to do a tour and see some of the countryside. Appreciate all the other recommendations and the link to the maps. Thanks, Jeff

Easter Sunday falls on 20 April 2014 and it is normally the opening of the season here. Depending on the weather in April, often wet and cool, many shops and restaurants will begin to open during the earlier part of the month. Historical sites and the city wall and cable car will be open. Of course it is always my recommendation to do a private tour which will give you the experience of learning our history and culture.

Thanks for the prompt reply. We will also be stopping in Split and Kotor. Any recommendations?

Great view from the top of Kotor's city wall. But it's a climb for those in decent shape. Definitely be outside for the cruise in through the bays.

Diocletin's Palace in Split is worth the visit. Head outside the walls using the Golden Gate and give Grgur's toe a rub. There is quite a lot to see, so you will be well served with a guide. Trogir,, is also worth considering for a visit. It's a UNESCO heritage site about a half hour from Split. Again, a guide will be helpful.

Dub Lady who built the "snowman" at the photo site above Dub last week, it was so cold in Split that the cats were sleeping with the dogs.:)

Yes last week we had some very cold weather and just a small amount of snow which did not last very long. Someone always builds a snowman up at the view point, perhaps to enjoy the view? It appears we will be having a long, cold hard winter and I expect to see snow again very soon - perhaps a white Christmas.

Yes last week we had some very cold weather and just a small amount of snow which did not last very long. Someone always builds a snowman up at the view point, perhaps to enjoy the view? It appears we will be having a long, cold hard winter and I expect to see snow again very soon - perhaps a white Christmas.
plenty of good fish in the markets then, loads of Lignja about.:)

• 3 weeks later...
Arriving early Sept. 2014--what kind of weather can we expect at that time? Our ship lists only 7 AM to 3 PM for the port stop. Is that enough time to see everything and walk the wall?

You will arrive in the old part of town about 8:00AM, enough time to walk the walls and visit a few of our historical sites. Weather may still be hot and humid, but probably more Indian Summer. Walk the city wall, visit the Rupe Museum and Rectors Palace and do not miss the tribute to the young Dubrovnik men fallen during the 1991 Homeland War at Sponza Palace. Try not to miss a ride on our cable car, the view is breathtaking. So much to see, so little time - spend it wisely.

Dubrovniktravelady;

DW and I are flying home tomorrow to rainy, wet and cool Vancouver Island in British Columbia to spend Christmas with one of our sons and his family so I wanted to take this opportunity to wish you a very Merry Christmas and much success in the New Year. We are still telling people how much we enjoyed our morning with you in September, you made our visit most memorable.

Cheers;

Putterdude

• 2 months later...

Thank you my dear Putterdude, it was indeed a pleasure to spend the day with you and your charming wife.

I am grateful that cruise critic has seen the light and once again the "search" thread is back up. Now it will be easier for those who have Dubrovnik questions to find answers.

Do keep in mind many museum prices and fees have changed for the coming season. Small increases, nothing dramatic and opening and closing hours remain the same for high season.

Cruisers, enjoy your time in Dubrovnik...I certainly do everyday.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in port coming from Celebrity Equinox mid-May. Our ship is supposed to arrive at 7AM. What is the earliest that we could walk the wall? What time does the wall open and close? Thanks so much for your help!

In May the wall opens at 0900 and closes at 1830. Entrance fee this year is 100 Kunas, you can pay with Croatian Kunas or credit card. NO foreign currency is accepted. The walk can take up to 2 hours if you stop for photos, 2 kilometers long and 1080 total steps. Enjoy the views are lovely.

Thanks for all the great info! I was hoping we could walk the wall earlier so that it would not be so hot. Is it likely to be very hot in the middle of May, if we start our walk when the wall opens? I don't do very well in the heat so I'm trying to figure out how bad it will be. I really appreciate your help!