Sudden change in plans = disappointment

flurggy

Hello, I've been browsing these forums for a few weeks now and am finding myself not looking forward to my trip all of a sudden. I'm cruising on May 16th on the Carnival Ecstasy. The cruise was originally going to Cozymel and Progress, but has been rerouted to GC and Mo'Bay due to the Swine Flu.

GC looks beautiful, Mo'Bay looks terrifying.

But even in GC I have no idea what to do. I'm broke and already struggling to budget for excursions, tipping on the boat, etc. and am finding myself nervous and worried.

Someone tell me its all going to be ok, lol!

Don't even worry for another minute!! I just got off the first rerouted Ecstasy cruise and it was WONDERFUL!!! I loved every minute of it. I was bummed at first too, until I stepped foot on the ship. After that, I never looked back.

In MoBay, we did Carnival's Chukka 4x4 Safari tour. A little pricy, but well worth it. We got to see so many great things. I love Jamaica. Don't listen to all these naysayers who don't like it. They don't know what they're missing.

In Grand Caymen, you tender right up to the center of a bunch of stuff to do. Shopping is right in front of you. We opted to walk a couple of blocks to Eden Rock to snorkle. There's a dive shop right past Carnival's Paradise Club excursion. It cost us $15pp to rent all of our equipment for unlimited snorkeling. YOu get in the water right there, and they have lockers. They even have a few lounge chairs for when you want to rest.

After we had our fill of snorkeling, we walked probably a mile in the other direction and found public beach access to a quiet beach. There were a handful of people there. We stayed there for a little bit, tendered back to the ship to shower/change. Then went back and did a little bit of shopping and grabbed some lunch. There's so much right there, you don't even need transportation. If you do want transportation, there are cabs and buses to take you wherever you want to go.

You'll have a great time. The Ecstasy is a wonderful ship with a fantastic crew. We had a blast!! Check out the roll call section and go to the thread for May 2. On the last couple of pages, there are some reviews and pics from some of us who just got back. If you have more questions, just ask there and we'll help. Have fun!!!

Cayman is very safe, so it's fine not doing a ship excursion. Just use the same standard common sense that you'd use anywhere, and you shouldn't run into any problems. You can walk around downtown, see the sights, window shop, etc. without worrying (or spending much). Bring along a sports bottle from home so you can refill water from taps and fountains to save a bit more money. (The tap water is perfectly safe to drink.)

Beaches are free in Cayman, so another idea is to just hop a taxi to the beach ($4-6/person each way) and throw down a towel for a cheap day on one of the most gorgeous beaches in the world.

Royal Palms and Sea Grape are two sections of Seven Mile Beach, the main beach and tourist area close to the port, which have free showers and restrooms, a restaurant/bar, watersports/chair/umbrella rentals, etc. Since you pay as you go based on what you need or want, it's easy for you to control your spending for the day.

Or, wait until you get to the port and see excursion prices that morning. Depending on how many ships are in, there will be lots of people offering Stingray City or Turtle Farm excursions or island tours at discounted rates. You might save a bit that way, and it's one of the few islands where I don't worry about going off on my own (unlike Jamaica, where I'd never take anything but a ship excursion).

No matter what you choose, you'll have a great time! It's a fabulous island!

You are right to worry about the cost of extras on board a cruise ship. With tipping, drinks, excursions, it does add up!

BUT -- these other posters nailed it! Vacation is the wrong time to worry. You can relax and enjoy on a budget cruise!

In GC -- I heartily reccomend vegging out on 7 mile beach! We splurged when went last year and spent about $50 per couple at the beach. That included bus trip, lounge chairs on the beach, two rafts to float in the water, four drinks and showers to rinse off the salt & sand afterewards! You can do it much cheaper than that!:o

Bon Voyage!

Archived