Problem with customs in vancouver canada

hndmn4wf

Ok the cruise season has started now and would love to know for anyone that has cruised alaska this season if they had any problems getting on the ship in vancouver when it came to customs if you had any kind of dui/felony or just anything on your record.

Please post here so all of us can see and know what to expect when it comes to customs and any problems that developed while you were away on your alaska cruise in canada.

Hope you had a great time

thanks!

You will clear through Canada Customs at the airport. You will clear through USCBP upon embarkation at the Cruise terminal.

If you are American, you will have no problem getting through USCBP. They have to take you back to your own country.

As for Canada Customs, you will need to have all your court documentation, preferably documents showing that your record has been cleared, possibly require a Minister's permit. You may be required to have a special Immigration permit allowing persons with criminal records to enter and transit through Canada. This could cost around $200 depending on the severity of your crime. They may let you go directly to the terminal and confirm your departure out of Canada.

Can't say for sure, if you did the crime you may continue to pay the time.

I agree. I only found out about the DUI issue several weeks ago. (I leave in a few weeks and I booked my Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver last August.)

I have a 26 year old DUI with nothing since. I've received reassurances that it shouldn't be an issue but I'm still nervous and concerned.

Would love to hear from some people with actual recent experiences.

I think the fact that a passport is required starting June 1, 2009 will change everything we've read so far. My cruise is June 12 out of Vancouver. We'll see. I'm mighty anxious about is as my indiscretion is only three + years old.

I think the fact that a passport is required starting June 1, 2009 will change everything we've read so far. My cruise is June 12 out of Vancouver. We'll see. I'm mighty anxious about is as my indiscretion is only three + years old.

In what way do you feel having to have a passport will change things?

The more that can help the better, just so we can be prepared what to expect. My DWI was 17 yrs ago but I'm hearing it doesnt matte

I know there is the US Direct through the cruiselines and I signed up for it but I still heard that there might be problems getting on the ship even if you are using that program as well.

I do hope someone with something on their record (Old or New) will tell us about their experience with customs when they come back.

I'm glad I'm not in this alone. It looks like there's a few of us out there that would like some help with this.

Because when Canadian Customs & Immigration scans your Passport, everything you've ever done in your life will be there for them to see. In the past, all you did was show your identification and they didn't scan it, therefore they didn't know.

Because when Canadian Customs & Immigration scans your Passport, everything you've ever done in your life will be there for them to see. In the past, all you did was show your identification and they didn't scan it, therefore they didn't know.

And do they ever know!!!! Two years ago, I was crossing in Minn, after crossing in Michigan from Ontario, initial cross at the Peace Bridge. I got hauled in, and questioned, they knew every time I had crossed and asked me what and when those were. Had done Vancouver several times due to taking two Alaska cruises, but FORGOT about driving through Fraiser. They knew and asked me again, where else I had crossed. Wanted to know where I worked, phone number etc etc etc. Actually- it can be a ploy- I have a SIL who is a customs agent. They will "act" like they are calling about you, thing is, there is no ceiling on the plexiglass and all the sound goes right into their offices, that you will think are closed off. They are far more interested in your conversations, that you think are private. :)

Princess has a program called US Direct. We used it last year upon leaving the Sapphire Princess and going to the airport in Vancouver BC. We didnt have to go through Canadian customs we got on a bus at the ship and were taken to a special area at the airport and then on to the gates. They also have this program available for passengers flying into Canada and boarding cruise ships .You could check with your cruise line to see if they have this program available.

Princess has a program called US Direct. We used it last year upon leaving the Sapphire Princess and going to the airport in Vancouver BC. We didnt have to go through Canadian customs we got on a bus at the ship and were taken to a special area at the airport and then on to the gates. They also have this program available for passengers flying into Canada and boarding cruise ships .You could check with your cruise line to see if they have this program available.

I mentioned about US Direct in my last posting. I know you can do that but someone told me that you're still going through customs even with US Direct and you could still be denied and then you can't get on the ship.

Exactly! We are taking Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. My TA has to have our passport numbers before he can book the tickets. It'll be interesting.

As for US Direct, from what I understand and all that I've read (which is a lot), they still have your passport number on the manifest and that MAY keep you out of Canada.

The best I can tell, it's a crapshoot. It's a crapshoot about an issue that I had no idea about until AFTER I had bought my cruise and my plane tickets. All I can do is see what happens.

This DUI has been an expensive lesson. (one I needed to learn, though.)

My plan B is to hang out in Seattle for a couple of days and come back home.

US Direct is a written agreement between USCBP, CBSA, Vancouver Int'l airport, Port Metro Vancouver and participating cruise and airlines. It essentially allows US passport holders and resident card holders who are travelling on a direct flight to the US on the same day of disembarkation to participate in the program as if they never entered into Canada. They are transported on a sealed bus to and from the airport and cruise terminal. The airlines/cruiselines must provide CBSA and USCBP with a list of participants, their passport numbers, airline info, DOB etc. The lists are screened by the regulatory agencies and anyone found not to qualify for the program will be removed. You may not find out that you have been removed until you try to get on the bus.

When you disembark a ship at the cruise terminal in Vancouver, a CBSA officer will definitely be there to collect your declaration card and question you if they wish. If you have any kind of criminal record they will know. It depends on the severity of your crime, how long ago it occured and whether or not you have probationary restrictions on whether or not you are admissible into Canada. If you can prove that you have been pardoned you will not have a problem.

The cruiselines can charge you what ever they wish to participate in this program. USCBP and CBSA do not see a dime of these fees.

I'm a court clerk at a District Court about 1 1/2 hours south of the Canadian border. We regularly see people coming in to the court desperate for documents relating to DUIs (sometimes over twenty years old) after having been denied entry into Canada. They generally request a certified copy of their docket on the advice of border patrol agents. I've not had anyone return and request further documentation but can't say for sure that they were allowed entry. Many of the cases are older than our computer system and all records have been destroyed. The oldest one I've seen was from 1979! If there is no docket available we have a "certification of no record" which is signed by the court administrator and certified. I sent a faxed copy on one occasion to the best man at a wedding scheduled to be held in Vancouver. I didn't hear back from him but I don't really know for sure whether our documentation sufficed. If you have any alcohol related charge I would suggest that you pay a visit to your local court and request these documents, it can't hurt and is most likely worth the $10 or so you'll pay for the documents.

I'm a court clerk at a District Court about 1 1/2 hours south of the Canadian border. We regularly see people coming in to the court desperate for documents relating to DUIs (sometimes over twenty years old) after having been denied entry into Canada.

Oh, now this puts a whole new spin on things. Thanks for the info. I've not seen this anywhere else. First of all, which part of the Candian Border laws on inadmissable classes would this apply to???? I didn't see anything on their website about bringing documentation that will helpto get you in.....

Wow...just when you think you have it all figured out...

I believe the reason they're so tough on people with DUIs is that it would be a felony charge in Canada (misdemeanor here) and felony charges can prevent you from traveling. Whatever the reason, they can be really tough!

I only see one end of the transaction though so I can't really say whether or not people have been successful in gaining entry. As I said, I've never had anyone come back and complain or request any further documentation. I would speculate that they were able to travel but I could be wrong. If it were me, I would travel with a certified copy of the docket or a certification of no record if your local court can provide that. I'll dig around and see if I can access contact information for our border patrol in Blaine. If I am able to, I will post it here.

I have seen many threads discussing this issue, but cannot find a definite answer whether with DUI record will prevent you from entering Canada.

There truly is NO definitive answer. Depends on how old the DUI is, how the local court adjudicated it, how the records were entered originally. NOT all courts participated by sending info to national databases (our small local courts didn't until the mid-late 90's). And fingerprints did not always go to NCIC (again depending on the capability of the court/jail). Sometimes you will not find information about DUI's from 15-20 years ago unless you do a LOCAL search where you lived 15-20 years ago. I frequently have to do LOCAL searches to turn up old DUI's for insurance purposes.

I own a trucking company and have drivers enter Mexico and Canada almost every day. Some of them have had DUI's years ago. Some come and go all the time (they all have passports). Some can NEVER enter. And some have entered time after time and then all of a sudden, BAM, they are stopped from entering. Often, it is the luck of the draw.

As CruiseDreamer28 posted, often smaller courts do not even have the records anymore. And they sure aren't in any computer database unless the court had the time and money to enter stuff from 15-20 years ago. How they show up in databases is truly a mystery.

I believe the reason they're so tough on people with DUIs is that it would be a felony charge in Canada (misdemeanor here) and felony charges can prevent you from traveling. Whatever the reason, they can be really tough!

I only see one end of the transaction though so I can't really say whether or not people have been successful in gaining entry. As I said, I've never had anyone come back and complain or request any further documentation. I would speculate that they were able to travel but I could be wrong. If it were me, I would travel with a certified copy of the docket or a certification of no record if your local court can provide that. I'll dig around and see if I can access contact information for our border patrol in Blaine. If I am able to, I will post it here.

I understand that it is a felony in CA and that's why they are tougher there. Thanks so much for the information.

I'm interested in knowing what exactly a certified copy of the docket means????And how that applies to the Canadian Immigration laws...

I understand that it is a felony in CA and that's why they are tougher there. Thanks so much for the information.

I'm interested in knowing what exactly a certified copy of the docket means????And how that applies to the Canadian Immigration laws...

3 yo DUI??? Better plan on using US Direct if at all possible. Unless your DUI was in a VERY small court (our town of 1062 people now has reporting capability), it will be in the CBP/ICE database.

Whether it gets picked up by the Canadian authorities is the BIG question.

And it is only a felony in CA in a prima facie case in certain circumstance-usually bodily injury to another person, extreme DUI, another felony combined with DUI, etc. etc. Depending on adjudication, it CAN be dropped to a misdemeanor even in extreme circumstances.

And it is only a felony in CA in a prima facie case in certain circumstance-usually bodily injury to another person, extreme DUI, another felony combined with DUI, etc. etc. Depending on adjudication, it CAN be dropped to a misdemeanor even in extreme circumstances.

I just realized you used CA for CANADA. Forget what I posted-I thought you meant California.

The docket is basically an outline of the case. It will tell them whether or not there were warrants issued at any time, whether the charge was ammended to/from another charge, if there was jail time served, what the probation conditions were and whether or not they have been met, whether or not fines have been paid and whether the case is open or closed. Having it certified just verifies it as a genuine docket produced by the court.

As someone else pointed out, I think it really is a roll of the dice. I've had people tell me that they have been crossing the border regularly for years and suddenly one day they're not allowed to because of something that happened 20+ years ago. Go figure!

Archived