Playa del Carmen or Grand Cayman?

LaShelle2

am trying to decice between carnival fantasy or inspiration. One goes to playa dc and one to grand cayman. Price is equal. Which is best for the money? I really want a nice beach and good shopping.

• 3 weeks later...

The two ports are totally different. We preferred Playa del Carmen (Playa) over Grand Cayman. However, we really enjoyed swimming with the sting rays in Grand Cayman. Both have great beaches. We spent 9 days in Playa last summer. Our favorite place was Akumal Bay (south of Playa). We took a collectivo there which costs $2 per person. You can swim along turtles and sting rays in Akumal Bay. It is a wonderful place. Shopping in Playa is fun, especially if you are there in the evening.

• 3 weeks later...
am trying to decice between carnival fantasy or inspiration. One goes to playa dc and one to grand cayman. Price is equal. Which is best for the money? I really want a nice beach and good shopping.

My dh & I have been to both places and I must agree with the first post that they are totally different posts. I vote for Playa del Carmen, it's a beautiful little town and I just loved walking down the beach and down quinta ave. every single night when we were there(we went there for our wedding/honeymoon). There is no place like it!!

• 6 months later...

I vote for Playa also. First of all, I love it and there is so much great stuff to see and do. Secondly, Grand Cayman is on almost every western itinerary (we have been there 4 times on cruises) so you are more likely to hit that island again on a future cruise. You don't see Playa on cruise itinerary often. I agree with dcikon2, though, swimming with the stingrays is incredible.

When in Calica, I did not go to Playa del Carmen - I did and edventure tour. But like previous posters have said, I loved Akumal and I hope one of my future cruises takes me back to Calica.

In the Caymans, my vote would go to Rum Point. I really liked that beach with its small crowd and trees and rocks up next to the water. Good food, too.

• 1 month later...

As far as shopping goes, they are at extreme opposites end of the pole. Grand Cayman, very expensive and you can forget bargaining. Playa del carmen, lots more shopping and really good deals.....I love Grand Cayman, but would definitely pick Playa del carmen.

Enjoy!!

• 2 months later...

We love Grand Cayman, having been there three times on two cruises and a one-week land vacation. The beaches and restaurants are excellent there, but expensive. Shopping at GC is expensive also. I have never been to Playa Del Carmen, but having been to nearby Cozumel three times, I know that in general, you get a lot more for your money in Mexico than at GC, or the USA for that matter. Especially, local hand-made crafts. We are considering a cruise this fall on Carnival Elation that calls on Playa Del Carmen. It sounds like a great port from what I've read.

BTW, something is lost in the translation for those that refer to Playa Del Carmen as "Playa." Translated to English, Playa Del Carmen means Del Carmen Beach. So when it's refered to as "Playa", it's calling it the general term of "beach."

• 2 months later...

You are indeed correct about the translation from Spanish but Playa Del Carmen is referred to as "Playa" by the locals so the posters who call it Playa are correct - that's how it is known in Mexico. The actual translation is actually the beach of carmen.

My dh & I have been to both places and I must agree with the first post that they are totally different posts. I vote for Playa del Carmen, it's a beautiful little town and I just loved walking down the beach and down quinta ave. every single night when we were there(we went there for our wedding/honeymoon). There is no place like it!!

Got to go with these guys. We have been to GC once and PDC three times. Both have nice beaches but there is more neat stuff around PDC, plus the shopping is so much cheaper. Calica/PDC is one of our fav's.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been to GC but I have been to Playa Del Carmen and LOVED it. The beaches are beautiful, and it's very inexpensive

• 2 months later...

Archived