Anytime Dining vs. Scheduled Dining

dgr231

Well we enjoyed it on Princess so I know we will enjoy it on NCL;) As for the drink at your table every night with traditional......we are platinum with Carnival and that happened on only one of our cruises.....which I thought was kinda silly since I don't order the same drink every night:D

This also happened to one of us on a cruise last year. One of our party ordered a beer with dinner the first night and the second night there was one waiting on his table. He was too polite and did not want to hurt anyone's feelings so he drank it but by the third night when it was there he spoke up. The waiter appeared bewildered and had to find the drink person to take it back as they do not serve alcohol themselves. It made for a somewhat uncomfortable dinner that night having to explain it to two different people.

I enjoy a glass of wine with my dinner. The type of wine that I choose to go with my meal very much depends on what I'm going to order. Fish, Beef, Pasta....

I would not like to have a waiter try to anticipate what wine I'd like and have it waiting for me when I arrived.

My DH will drink beer some nights. Especially with beef. He likes tea most nights. But occasionally he will order a mixed drink or a diet soda. So I am fairly certain that if he showed up and his drink was sitting there waiting that it would only be about 75% of the time the waiter would have it correct. He's a sweetie and would just accept the drink placed there for him. But he'd be unhappy about it in the long run. Especially if it happened more than once. Although I'm sure he'd tell them please do not continue to do that for him.

My sister's children will change drinks throughout the meal. I've seen them start with coke, move to sprite, have some tea and top it off with a non-alcoholic margaretta. So good luck anticipating this for them.

I think that I am making the same points over and over. (so sorry :()

Bottom line for me and mine is that we don't really want to have someone decide for us that we have to sit at a certain table, with certain passengers and fixed wait staff, to drink what they put down night after night. That does not sound vacation friendly to me.

Now.... don't even get me started on how disruptive I think the singing and dancing during my meal will be for us. I love seeing shows. Just not while I'm trying to eat. But I know that many of you find this to be entertaining and I'll just grin and bare it.... :)

Sorry I jumped on you in an earlier post. Wife in hospital and my nerves are to close to the surface, no excuse.

You seem to be over worrying your cruise.

IN 50 cruises, I've never had a drink waiting for me at the table. I DO get coffee served WITH the meal because I tell the waiters I want that. IF I do order a drink, it will be like your hubby, something different every time.

When just Barb and I cruise, we always ask for a large table because we like meeting the new people. But IN TRADITIONAL as well as anytime, You may sit at a table of ONLY family and/or friends. There is no large table requirement.

This:

"Bottom line for me and mine is that we don't really want to have someone decide for us that we have to sit at a certain table, with certain passengers and fixed wait staff, to drink what they put down night after night. That does not sound vacation friendly to me."

IS simply NOT the case. Again, 50 cruises, never happened on any line!

You could not find ANYONE to agree with you more about the silly "singing" [a kindness to call it singing] and the stumbling about they call dancing. But as I understand anytime on Carnival you get to bear the burden of the entertainment in EITHER anytime or traditional.

In traditional, it happens at the end of the meal and is our signal to exit at a high rate of speed.

Wait a minute... Is there no singing and dancing during anytime dining? I know a lot of people like it, but after my first cruise I would rather not have it. This might actually pursued me to go for anytime dining on my future cruises. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a big deal to me, but if giving a choice I could do without the dining room "shows".

We had our dining changed to "Your Time" dining on our last cruise. We enjoyed our waiter so much that we requested him each night. The Assistant Matre d asked us each night if wanted to sit alone or with others, all three times we said we did not care. Twice we were by ourselves, once with a mother (older) and son (46).

I have changed my next 2 cruises to "Your Time" dining, I liked it that much. We ate around 7 and 8 each night with no waiting. She did say if there was a wait she would give us a beeper so we wouldn't have to wait around the restaurant. I like the idea of eating when I want and not having to hurry if I was in port that day.

I think it is too new to really know how it will work out yet. Not enough people know about it yet, I think that in a few months when more people know about it the true story will be known.

JMO

Cathy

Freestyle, anytime dining, two different names for the same concept. That is my experience with it and the service is worse. You don't get the same service as you do with traditional dining. If you get better service then bully for you. Not in my experience.

Bully for you tooIn my experience on my now 4 cruises the worst service was in traditional dining. on my last cruise we had anytime service, on 2 of the 4 nights we had the same server. on the nights we did not have him he stopped at our table just to say hi and ask how was our day.

The differences between the quality of service is not because of what option of dining you choose, but its all the quality of server you get.

DW and I did a Princess cruise through Alaska a few years ago. While we had early seating, we ended up doing anytime for most meals. We were assigned to a small table and our fellow cruisers never showed.

Since neither of us drink, the lack of beer or wine wasn't a downside. The food was good and we got to control the pace of our dining. We, also, managed to snag window seats most days, which was cool.

Sorry I jumped on you in an earlier post. Wife in hospital and my nerves are to close to the surface, no excuse.

I hope you wife is okay. I'll keep her in my prayers. Sorry to hear that she's been ill.

You seem to be over worrying your cruise.

IN 50 cruises, I've never had a drink waiting for me at the table. I DO get coffee served WITH the meal because I tell the waiters I want that. IF I do order a drink, it will be like your hubby, something different every time.

Since we already decided on the anytime and think that will be the best option for us I'm really not so worried. I'm just participating in the conversation. Really, out advantage is we've never cruised. So we won't have to compare anytime to traditional. We can just have what we have and I'm sure it will be wonderful. The bliss of ignorance....

When just Barb and I cruise, we always ask for a large table because we like meeting the new people. But IN TRADITIONAL as well as anytime, You may sit at a table of ONLY family and/or friends. There is no large table requirement.

When we first booked we asked if we could be at a table for six (there are six in our group) and they would not even take that as a request. They said we'd have to check with m'atrade (SP?) onboard. Then anytime became available and our PVP confirmed that we could have whoever we wanted at out table and did not have to sit with strangers. Plus my sister and I had different opinions on which would be the better traditional seating time. This way we can compromise. So it works best for us.

This:

"Bottom line for me and mine is that we don't really want to have someone decide for us that we have to sit at a certain table, with certain passengers and fixed wait staff, to drink what they put down night after night. That does not sound vacation friendly to me."

IS simply NOT the case. Again, 50 cruises, never happened on any line!

I'm glad you've had great cruising in the past. People like yourself, who have had the experience and have been generous enough to share it with us newbies have taken so much angst out of the prospect of vacationing on a cruise. Now I just hope they don't show Titanic on the in room movies.... hehehehe

You could not find ANYONE to agree with you more about the silly "singing" [a kindness to call it singing] and the stumbling about they call dancing. But as I understand anytime on Carnival you get to bear the burden of the entertainment in EITHER anytime or traditional.

In traditional, it happens at the end of the meal and is our signal to exit at a high rate of speed.

We are right behind you. Hope I don't knock you down.... :eek:

Thanks again and I hope your wife is better soon.

I'll keep traditional, why have any cruise experience duplicate a land experience if you can avoid it?

Because when I'm on a cruise, enjoying a port of call or some other activity, I don't want to have to arrange my day because of what time I've been scheduled to eat.

Howard

Because when I'm on a cruise, enjoying a port of call or some other activity, I don't want to have to arrange my day because of what time I've been scheduled to eat.

Howard

On 99% or so, of ALL cruises, you MUST be back on the ship 1 or 2 HOURS before early dining. Many, many ships leave ports at 5PM [some at 4PM]. If your ship sails at 5PM you MUST be on board at 4:30PM. If your plan is to always arrive back at the ship 1/2 hour before sailing time, that 'plan' WILL some day bite you in the butt.

I'd GUESS that 80+% of all pax are back on board at 4PM for a 5PM sailaway. That IS 2 hours and 15 minutes before early dining opens. [A dining venue that no longer even pretends to have a dress code.]

But, your call if you wish to choose Anytime dining so you can operate at half speed. Anytime dining helps you with your dining schedule, but puts you out of phase with the on board entertainment schedule.

On 99% or so, of ALL cruises, you MUST be back on the ship 1 or 2 HOURS before early dining. Many, many ships leave ports at 5PM [some at 4PM]. If your ship sails at 5PM you MUST be on board at 4:30PM. If your plan is to always arrive back at the ship 1/2 hour before sailing time, that 'plan' WILL some day bite you in the butt.

I'd GUESS that 80+% of all pax are back on board at 4PM for a 5PM sailaway. That IS 2 hours and 15 minutes before early dining opens. [A dining venue that no longer even pretends to have a dress code.]

But, your call if you wish to choose Anytime dining so you can operate at half speed. Anytime dining helps you with your dining schedule, but puts you out of phase with the on board entertainment schedule.

Well, on 100% of my cruises before Freestyle dining, we've had at least one dinner on each, where for one reason or another it was extremely inconvenient for us to stick to our scheduled dining. On our second cruise, against our wishes, we were forced to take late seating, and it was terrible - because it was way later than our family normally eats; and with a young child at the time, she was falling asleep at the dinner table each night. That specifically was the worst part of the cruise.

On our Alaska cruise this past summer with Norwegian, our excursion (through the cruiseline) in Ketchikan arrived back at the ship a full hour past on-board time. The ship waited for our excursion. By the time we were back on-board, showered, dressed, etc. it would have already been past our scheduled dinner time had we not been on Freestyle.

On the first day, when the ship leaves port at around 4PM, we like to be on deck, partake in the sail-away party, and enjoy being outside - same as many people, and early seating does not work - it is too early to eat. I've found most people feel that way as well. If you have early seating, well, it's tough luck.

I generally like to eat dinner at around 6:30 or 7PM. That really is not a good time when you have to choose between early and late seatings. However, it doesn't change the fact that what activities I choose on a particular day, whether on shore, or on-board should not dictate what time I eat dinner. Why shouldn't I be able to eat dinner any time I like on any day? Maybe we pigged out on the poolside barbeque one day for lunch and aren't hungry for early dinner. Regardless of the situation - we've had the traditional scheduled dining for all of our cruises before this last one, and there is no comparison. Freestyle works better for us. I personally can't believe that there are actually people who think being on a fixed schedule is better than flexibility. It would appear that the cruiselines believe the same, because that is the direction they are all moving - because that is what most cruisers want.

I'd GUESS that 80+% of all pax are back on board at 4PM for a 5PM sailaway. That IS 2 hours and 15 minutes before early dining opens.

In my experience, early seating is generally at something around 5:45PM - early by my body. And late seating at 8PM or later is too late.

You won't find many people who prefer being given less options or not having the freedom to choose when to eat. Again, all of the cruiselines would not be headed in that direction if the demand didn't warrant it. We won't sail with any cruiseline in the future that does not offer it.

If you prefer a set time each evening for dinner, well, if you don't have a scheduled dinner seating, you have that option as well.

Howard

Wait a minute... Is there no singing and dancing during anytime dining?

Anytime dining is held in the same dining room with Traditional dining, so yes there is the same singing and dancing by the waiters.

Well, on 100% of my cruises before Freestyle dining, we've had at least one dinner on each, where for one reason or another it was extremely inconvenient for us to stick to our scheduled dining. On our second cruise, against our wishes, we were forced to take late seating, and it was terrible - because it was way later than our family normally eats; and with a young child at the time, she was falling asleep at the dinner table each night. That specifically was the worst part of the cruise.

On our Alaska cruise this past summer with Norwegian, our excursion (through the cruiseline) in Ketchikan arrived back at the ship a full hour past on-board time. The ship waited for our excursion. By the time we were back on-board, showered, dressed, etc. it would have already been past our scheduled dinner time had we not been on Freestyle.

On the first day, when the ship leaves port at around 4PM, we like to be on deck, partake in the sail-away party, and enjoy being outside - same as many people, and early seating does not work - it is too early to eat. I've found most people feel that way as well. If you have early seating, well, it's tough luck.

I generally like to eat dinner at around 6:30 or 7PM. That really is not a good time when you have to choose between early and late seatings. However, it doesn't change the fact that what activities I choose on a particular day, whether on shore, or on-board should not dictate what time I eat dinner. Why shouldn't I be able to eat dinner any time I like on any day? Maybe we pigged out on the poolside barbeque one day for lunch and aren't hungry for early dinner. Regardless of the situation - we've had the traditional scheduled dining for all of our cruises before this last one, and there is no comparison. Freestyle works better for us. I personally can't believe that there are actually people who think being on a fixed schedule is better than flexibility. It would appear that the cruiselines believe the same, because that is the direction they are all moving - because that is what most cruisers want.

In my experience, early seating is generally at something around 5:45PM - early by my body. And late seating at 8PM or later is too late.

You won't find many people who prefer being given less options or not having the freedom to choose when to eat. Again, all of the cruiselines would not be headed in that direction if the demand didn't warrant it. We won't sail with any cruiseline in the future that does not offer it.

If you prefer a set time each evening for dinner, well, if you don't have a scheduled dinner seating, you have that option as well.

Howard

Early Seating: 6:00 PM

Late Seating: 8:15 PM

*Your Time: 5:45 to 9:30 PM

Hey everybody,

My GF and I are going on our 2nd cruise in September on the Miracle. On our first cruise, we did the late seating for dinner. We have decided this time to try anytime dining. With that said, I have heard both some good and bad about anytime dining (i.e. people getting rushed out, not getting to know your waiters, etc...)

I am curious, which do you prefer and why? What are the pros and cons of anytime dining? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I was really unsure about being assigned to a table and having to eat at a specific time, but I LOVE that you get the same waiter or waitress for the entire length of the cruise. By the end of it, we'd go to dinner and our preferred drinks would be waiting for us, they knew just how we liked our food prepared, and really pampered us. It's really a trade-off: sit with people you don't know, but feel like royalty - or get a bit more freedom and some peace to be with your cruising buddy.

My husband was really leery about sitting with people he didn't know, so I went ahead and chose the free dining option for our next cruise. When I told him about it, he was so disappointed we wouldn't have the same wait staff every night that he made me change it back. ha ha ha!

Several years ago, we had to take Anytime (on Princess) since we booked last minute. Only real snafu was on formal night. I was fine with the wait, but did not appreciate being told "15 minutes" and then 45 minutes later, we were NOWHERE NEAR the top of the list. That was the only time we had that type of issue, so I don't know what happened there ....

My prime "gripe" about anytime dining is having the same fluffy conversation "Where are you from? What do you do? How many cruises have you been on?" conversation at dinner every night. And never really getting beyond the shallow with anyone. That probably has some to do with the fact that I cruise with a variety of different friends, and by dinner time, we are ready to have someone else to talk to besides each other.:)

My husband was really leery about sitting with people he didn't know, so I went ahead and chose the free dining option for our next cruise. When I told him about it, he was so disappointed we wouldn't have the same wait staff every night that he made me change it back. ha ha ha!

You CAN have the same wait staff each night with Anytime Dining. All you have to do is ask to be seated in their section. You may have to wait a little longer for a table. You can also ask to be seated at a table for just your party, or a larger table with other people.

Several years ago, we had to take Anytime (on Princess) since we booked last minute. Only real snafu was on formal night. I was fine with the wait, but did not appreciate being told "15 minutes" and then 45 minutes later, we were NOWHERE NEAR the top of the list. That was the only time we had that type of issue, so I don't know what happened there ....

Did not have that problem on Princess, always got a table for 2.

My prime "gripe" about anytime dining is having the same fluffy conversation "Where are you from? What do you do? How many cruises have you been on?" conversation at dinner every night. And never really getting beyond the shallow with anyone. That probably has some to do with the fact that I cruise with a variety of different friends, and by dinner time, we are ready to have someone else to talk to besides each other.:)

Tha's why we don't like the same table mates, usually with strangers that all you have in common to talk about. Except for the times we were at tables where all they wanted to talk (brag) about was how many cruises/ships they sailed on and how big their houses were, the quiet ones were probably the real rich ones.

Tha's why we don't like the same table mates, usually with strangers that all you have in common to talk about. Except for the times we were at tables where all they wanted to talk (brag) about was how many cruises/ships they sailed on and how big their houses were, the quiet ones were probably the real rich ones.

LOL, ain't that the truth! We prefer Freestyle, but we just decided on the Victory for August :D. Are all of Carnival's ships doing Anytime Dining now, or only certain ones?

Freestyle, anytime dining, two different names for the same concept. That is my experience with it and the service is worse. You don't get the same service as you do with traditional dining. If you get better service then bully for you. Not in my experience.

I agree with you, you don't get the same service. The service in any time is head and shoulders better than that offered by traditional dining.

I agree with you, you don't get the same service. The service in any time is head and shoulders better than that offered by traditional dining.

I agree Z.. we just came off the Miracle.. Had anytime dining .. had the same waiter for 6 nights of the cruise.. and it was the best out of 10 cruises

LOL, ain't that the truth! We prefer Freestyle, but we just decided on the Victory for August :D. Are all of Carnival's ships doing Anytime Dining now, or only certain ones?

They will all have Anytime Dining by summer of 2010.

Ships that have it now are Legend, Liberty, Sensation, Paradise, Miracle, Elation, Conquest, Pride. Spirit and Fantasy get it next month (June).

I see you are sailing on Victory ~ that ship is scheduled to have it by summer 2010.

We still can't decide... all have reasons that make sense. We've had both early dining and late dining and definately preferred the late. We would come back from excursions, get in a nap, then get ready for dinner. But... our youngest daughter often fell asleep... she cried when she found out she didn't get to say good-bye to our waiters and slept through the entire grand finale show. She's older now (turning 11 on this cruise) so maybe she'd stay awake? We like meeting new people. We are cruising on the Freedom in July with a couple we met on a cruise 15 years ago. We stayed friends and always kept in touch. Do we do the late seating with them? Or meet new people? But the anytime dining with no schedule sure sounds appealing when you have 3 DDs trying to get ready at once. ;) Don't like to be rushed... especially on vacation.

What time do the shows start after the late dining? Is anytime dining only for dinner? What do you do for breakfast or lunch?

I had just made up my mind for our family to try the Anytme Dining, and then I read someone said that sometimes you have to sit with other people. Can anyone tell me for sure if that is true...I thought part of the advantage of Anytime was not sitting with other people if you didn't want to....I too am confused now. Someone please help! Sailing on the Pride this summer.

I had just made up my mind for our family to try the Anytme Dining, and then I read someone said that sometimes you have to sit with other people. Can anyone tell me for sure if that is true...I thought part of the advantage of Anytime was not sitting with other people if you didn't want to....I too am confused now. Someone please help! Sailing on the Pride this summer.

With anytime dining you can just get a table for your own party. No you don't have to sit with others.......

Archived