Aquaventure vs. Orlando Aquatica?

mom58

Can you stand one more question about Atlantis Aquaventure?

I'll be without DH and with DS 14 and DD12 and am thinking of the shore excursion on NCL Sky for Aquaventure.

My question is: If you've done both water parks, can you give me a comparison? We just went to Aquatica and the kids loved it, so if it's as nice or nicer, I'll be thrilled. However, it's a lot of money, so if it's just so-so, I'd like to know.

Can I feel fairly comfortable staking out a spot and letting the two of them (staying together) do the rides?

I know I could do it cheaper through Comfort Suites, but I'm concerned that if the port got cancelled for some reason I wouldn't be able to cancel the hotel quickly enough.

We'll have all day and I'm pretty sure my kids would enjoy a water park.

One more thing: are there beach umbrellas or shade for me?

Thanks for any help!

P.S. We've been to Nassau before and have never been to Atlantis. Been there & done that for the straw market and we are going to snorkel on Grand Bahama Island so I'm looking for something to entertain the children.

Can you stand one more question about Atlantis Aquaventure?

I'll be without DH and with DS 14 and DD12 and am thinking of the shore excursion on NCL Sky for Aquaventure.

My question is: If you've done both water parks, can you give me a comparison? We just went to Aquatica and the kids loved it, so if it's as nice or nicer, I'll be thrilled. However, it's a lot of money, so if it's just so-so, I'd like to know.

Can I feel fairly comfortable staking out a spot and letting the two of them (staying together) do the rides?

I know I could do it cheaper through Comfort Suites, but I'm concerned that if the port got cancelled for some reason I wouldn't be able to cancel the hotel quickly enough.

We'll have all day and I'm pretty sure my kids would enjoy a water park.

One more thing: are there beach umbrellas or shade for me?

Thanks for any help!

P.S. We've been to Nassau before and have never been to Atlantis. Been there & done that for the straw market and we are going to snorkel on Grand Bahama Island so I'm looking for something to entertain the children.

Orlando is more diverse and 1/2 the price.

But the kids would have fun at atlantis.

Be aware that YOU have to pay full access price to go to the aquapark as well.. even though you are just hanging out nearby.

You know I have not checked out Aquatica ...got to put that on the list. All i can say is that Atlantis is like none of the other Orlando/Disney water parks....HOWEVER from looking at the pictures it seems they were getting much closer to Atlantis this time. To compare the 2 i would still have to say Atlantis still has the edge since it's so unique and in Orlando you don't have the beautiful Caribbean sea as a backdrop, not to mention the towers and all...my vote...ATLANTIS.

Orlando is more diverse and 1/2 the price.

But the kids would have fun at atlantis.

Be aware that YOU have to pay full access price to go to the aquapark as well.. even though you are just hanging out nearby.

Hey SG....I want to see some cruise countdown clocks in your sig if you are going to hang on a cruise board:p

Hey SG....I want to see some cruise countdown clocks in your sig if you are going to hang on a cruise board:p

Sorry. I just don't have the bug.

My upcoming cruise will be next spring .. on the Mediterranean.

We are still deciding between two cruises. One with Oceania the other Azamara. Small and relaxed.

I'm not a cruise lover (I'm ducking)

I don't like crowds, making small talk or Dining with others.

I like to spend time in a place and explore, meet the locals, taste the food and enjoy the hospitality of my host country.

(part of the reason I can't stand Atlantis).

We prefer traveling by our own boats .. or staying in B&B or private villas.. away from other tourists.

Sorry. I just don't have the bug.

My upcoming cruise will be next spring .. on the Mediterranean.

We are still deciding between two cruises. One with Oceania the other Azamara. Small and relaxed.

I'm not a cruise lover (I'm ducking)

I don't like crowds, making small talk or Dining with others.

I like to spend time in a place and explore, meet the locals, taste the food and enjoy the hospitality of my host country.

(part of the reason I can't stand Atlantis).

We prefer traveling by our own boats .. or staying in B&B or private villas.. away from other tourists.

We were thinking Med next summer but changed our mind.....instead we are riding the BEAST into Nassau and i want to see the expression on your face when she lands with all 6000 passengers descending onto Nassau:D:p...lolol

Actually we have debated this before and land won over sea in Europe...I am such a food and wine lover that I would miss that experience....so for now it's Caribbean sailing for us....I think we shall probably take a break summer 2011 and do another land base Europe trip.....at least thats the current plan for this week:rolleyes:

We were thinking Med next summer but changed our mind.....instead we are riding the BEAST into Nassau and i want to see the expression on your face when she lands with all 6000 passengers descending onto Nassau:D:p...lolol

Actually we have debated this before and land won over sea in Europe...I am such a food and wine lover that I would miss that experience....so for now it's Caribbean sailing for us....I think we shall probably take a break summer 2011 and do another land base Europe trip.....at least thats the current plan for this week:rolleyes:

My best friend lives in Belgium, so I do a few weeks in europe each summer exploring.. we also have a vacation home in Malaga.. so I get my fill of europe.

But I have another friend who's having trouble getting around.. so we figured the cruise around the islands and ports would be a good fit.

Land would win out for me every time..

Thanks Scubagirrl and Bajathree for the info.

Scubagirrl, I'm guessing that you don't have any kids to think about entertaining :). Mine are 12 & 14 and if I take them to a great water park, I can probably park myself in a lounge chair & happily read my book. They're old enough to check in once in a while to reapply sun screen and get food.

Not very exotic, but it at least will be relaxing for me. Better than being in Atlanta and going to the neighborhood pool!

Still looking for any other Atlantis tips: best place to sit, umbrellas? Anything else I could find out ahead of time. I'm a planner.

Thanks Scubagirrl and Bajathree for the info.

Scubagirrl, I'm guessing that you don't have any kids to think about entertaining :). Mine are 12 & 14 and if I take them to a great water park, I can probably park myself in a lounge chair & happily read my book. They're old enough to check in once in a while to reapply sun screen and get food.

Not very exotic, but it at least will be relaxing for me. Better than being in Atlanta and going to the neighborhood pool!

Still looking for any other Atlantis tips: best place to sit, umbrellas? Anything else I could find out ahead of time. I'm a planner.

My kids are grown.. now I can travel with my grands.. and enjoy my 17 neices and nephews.

They all visit the bahamas from time to time. Most don't care for the aquapark, since they have them at home, plus prefer the Florida parks. They'd rather be fishing or sailing, diving or exploring.

As for Atlantis umbrellas.. there are none.. some of the chaise loungers have awnings. (these go fast) and there are shaded areas near the pools.

You can buy one in the Marina Village for about $25.

I want you to be very AWARE that you cannot just hang out at the slides without a PASS... which is $105 at Atlantis. The 12 yo may be less (like $80) but other will be same as adult. Just want to make sure you understand this...

Yea, I know I've got to have a pass. Maybe I'll ride a slide or two if I feel daring ;)

I'm usually the keeper of the "stuff", but if I get a chance to ride the lazy river I will.

As I said, we visited Aquatica in Orlando for spring break and the kids had a great time. That was our 2nd time there and it does not seem overwhelmingly big. I learned to get there as early as possible and stake out our spots. I assume that I should do the same for the Aquaventure also, although I suppose that will be a little more difficult since everybody from the ship will be getting there all at once.

Does anybody know if one area or another gets filled faster?

I'm still toying with the idea of not spending any money and staying on the ship. We've been to Nassau several times and the kids could probably be happy hanging out on the ship. It's fun to be on the ship when we practically have it to ourselves.

My best friend lives in Belgium, so I do a few weeks in europe each summer exploring.. we also have a vacation home in Malaga.. so I get my fill of europe.

But I have another friend who's having trouble getting around.. so we figured the cruise around the islands and ports would be a good fit.

Land would win out for me every time..

Malaga was one of my favorites ports we have done in Europe. We talked about going back to Europe this summer on a land trip and Spain was my first choice.

Archived