Is Buying A Coffee Card Worth It?

GTO-Girl

We don't drink coffee all day, but we do love having good coffee in the mornings. I was wondering what all is included with this card and if the $24 charge is worth it? Would it cover if we wanted to order the "good coffee" through Room Service?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but this will be our first Princess cruise and I just didn't know where else to look for answers :o

If you like "good" coffee, then yes, buy it. The coffee that is delivered by room service is the same "syrup coffee" they serve in the dining rooms and the horizon. IMHO, either bring your own coffee maker (like we usually do) , or buy the card.

Dianne,

The coffee card has always been a good deal for us as I like my cappuccinos and my husband likes a good cup of coffee. So he gets all the coffee he wants and I get my one specialty coffee a day. And if you don't use it up on one cruise it will be good on your next one.

On our repo cruise last week, the seas were very rough and it was cold and blowy outside so I sat in the Piazza with a nice pot of ginger/peach tea that really settled my stomach. The teas are also free when you have the coffee card and they have some very interesting and yummy flavors.

Diane

It was worth it for me and DW. We both love caps and lattes. We still had two punches left. The card can be used on multiple cruises until all the punches are gone. From what I've learned on here, they don't punch for fresh brewed coffee at the International Cafe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.:confused:

I know that this thread is about the coffee card, but you might think about hot tea if you like it. The tea is still free, and quite good. I switched to drinking hot tea at breakfast a couple of cruises ago and never looked back. There are plenty of teas available. We like the Bigelow Plantation Mint, Darjeeling and English Teatime.

David

We have awalys found the Coffee Card worth it. One option you might consider is to order coffee from room service in the morning. The room service coffee seems to be better than the warm brown fluid they serve in the Horizon. DW and I tend to order it the night before on the continential breakfast card. No need to set an alarm, room service will call your room a few minutes before they deliver. ;)

We have awalys found the Coffee Card worth it. One option you might consider is to order coffee from room service in the morning. The room service coffee seems to be better than the warm brown fluid they serve in the Horizon. DW and I tend to order it the night before on the continential breakfast card. No need to set an alarm, room service will call your room a few minutes before they deliver. ;)

The room service coffee is the same brown syrup that you get in the buffet and dining rooms. Maybe you were too sleepy to notice. :D

Remember too - you can order your specialty coffee in the dining room, give them your punch card, and the coffee will be delivered.

Someone else had mentioned this too. I've never received a call from room service before they deliver. I've always had to set the alarm. Does one need to request that they call first? :confused:

On Princess, they do not call before delivering. Set a wake up call for a few minutes before you have requested delivery. In our experience, room service just isn't late ever, so we do a wake up call about 10 minutes ahead, DH puts on the robe, and I hide under the covers.:o

The room service coffee is not brewed....the only way to get brewed coffee is to go to one of the bars or cafes where they have it. You cannot get the brewed coffee in the dining room either, but you can order the specialty espresso based drinks. For us, the coffee card is very worthwhile, as we love our lattes, I enjoy the specialty teas, and occasionally even indulge in a pot of hot chocolate.

Can this card be purchased once we board?

Thanks everyone for your responses.... :D

Yes. Go to either the International Cafe or the Bar outside of the Anytime dining room (depending on which ship) and you can charge the card to your shipboard account. No need to rush, they don't run out of cards.

I know that this thread is about the coffee card, but you might think about hot tea if you like it. The tea is still free, and quite good. I switched to drinking hot tea at breakfast a couple of cruises ago and never looked back. There are plenty of teas available. We like the Bigelow Plantation Mint, Darjeeling and English Teatime.

David

On our last cruise (Crown Princess) April 2009 the only tea in the Horizen Court was Lipton regular & decaf. I was surprised.

Jan

Can this card be purchased once we board?

:D

That's the only way you can get it; can't be bought in advance. But once you have it, it's good until all punches are used. Or you can do as I do and bring your own coffeemaker and still use a coffee card. I cover all bases.

On our last cruise (Crown Princess) April 2009 the only tea in the Horizen Court was Lipton regular & decaf. I was surprised.

Jan

They also have Bigelow teas including Earl Grey, Lady Gray, Darjeeling, English Teatime, Green.....I only care about Darjeeling and English Teatime when in the buffet. If you don't see what you want out, just ask. At the International Cafe, and some of the bars, they have an assortment of teas, in silk bags. Those are included when you purchase the coffee card (no punch) but are a separate charge without the card,

You can also request a specific tea in the dining room - if you don't specify you will get Lipton.

That's the only way you can get it; can't be bought in advance. But once you have it, it's good until all punches are used. Or you can do as I do and bring your own coffeemaker and still use a coffee card. I cover all bases.

Also my first time on Princess, and I like your comment!

Now, do you bring a french press and get boiling water delivered or does a real honest to goodness coffeemaker get packed when cruising on Princess?

To the original poster, One coffee at the local coffee house cost me $4.85, so for me it's worth it...and from the comments of many threads on this board, it includes fresh brewed for free, as long as there is still a punch on the card left... That is Priceless, to me anyway...

Jan

That's surprising. We saw a variety of black, green and herbal teas available in the buffet and dining room on our recent cruises on the Coral, Caribbean, Emerald, and other ships.

David

Also my first time on Princess, and I like your comment!

Now, do you bring a french press and get boiling water delivered or does a real honest to goodness coffeemaker get packed when cruising on Princess?

No french press. I need instant gratification, which means 5 minutes after I get out of bed I need my fresh scalding coffee. We have a small one cup Melitta with automatic shutoff (I pull the plug anyway). My husband also wants a cup last second before bedtime, so this works well for us. Coffeemaker is well travelled; has been around the world many times. :D

Coffee card is well utilized during the day.

There was a table set up on the Emerald when we boarded last November where they were selling the coffee card. For a just a few $$$ more we got the silver princess mug. The combo was an embarkation special. To us it was so worth the cost. DH would go down early for a fresh brew. Later I'd get a specialty or fresh brew to take with me to breakfast. I love the coffee mug, use it all the time. The mug and the coffee card with punches left will definitely be going with us on our cruise this coming November.

oh god yes!!! The coffee on the Caribbean Princess 3 weeks ago was the worst we've ever had and we are NOT picky coffee drinkers.

What they call coffee was nothing but STRONG and BITTER mud!!!

I guess it's just another way for people to spend money on board. I will get the coffee card next time for sure....

Should be a law against what they call coffee.............

I bought the coffee card in Feb. on the Crown. It was well worth the price. Every morning I went and got a Jamaican Blue Mountain and it was great. In the afternoon I got a decaf brewed coffee iced with whipped cream. Yummy! I felt the service for coffee on deck 5 was excellent.

I may be wrong since no-one else mentioned it, but I understood that if you had a coffee card you could also get the special teas at no extra charge( not the same ones as on the buffet) as long as you have a punch left on your card. But they don't take a punch for the tea. This isn't coming out the way I want but I hope you can understand me..pj:)

Archived