CC article about removing auto tips

CruisnGram

Just pretend the DSC is part of your cruise price, and tip as you like at the end. What's the difference? :confused:

DT

Of course, it would be miuch easier if NCL just included the "service charge" in the non commissionable fare and then paid their crew a living wage. No one has to tip (or pay a separate service charge) for the captain and rest of the ship's operational crew, they're paid by the fare; why should they have to pay a separate charge to pay the salary of the dining and hotel part of the crew? Why can't NCL just charge a fare that includes the pay of these individuals? Then those who care to can tip, those who do not, will not. It just makes no sense to have to "pretend".

Just pretend the DSC is part of your cruise price, and tip as you like at the end. What's the difference? :confused:

DT

No difference, that is my exact point. It is not really a "tip" anymore, it is not really optional either.

I do think you lose some "service motivation" by having an automatic gratuity system, but I also think the cruiselines need to pay an acceptable wage anyway because you will have some that resent tipping, either because their culture doesn't support it or they are simply cheapskates.

Either way, we will discuss the issue ad nauseam on CC, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.:p

Of course, it would be miuch easier if NCL just included the "service charge" in the non commissionable fare and then paid their crew a living wage. No one has to tip (or pay a separate service charge) for the captain and rest of the ship's operational crew, they're paid by the fare; why should they have to pay a separate charge to pay the salary of the dining and hotel part of the crew? Why can't NCL just charge a fare that includes the pay of these individuals? Then those who care to can tip, those who do not, will not. It just makes no sense to have to "pretend".

Exactly!:)

Bravo!!!

Why don't they just include "doc fees" in the cost of cars?

Why don't they just include "closing costs" in the cost of homes?

Just wondering.

Why don't they just include "doc fees" in the cost of cars?

Why don't they just include "closing costs" in the cost of homes?

Just wondering.

I forget - do those fees go to pay employees a living wage?

I hope this is not considered hijacking the thread, because it does involve DSC/Auto Tips,etc. Is there, or has there ever been, a cruiseline that once you pay the fare, when you step foot on the ship you don't pay another dime? For instance you pay XXXX.XX and when onboard your tips, alcoholic beverages, spa, excursions, everything is included? Now personally I would rather pay a lower fare and then choose how I spend my money after im onboard. But was just curious if this has ever been done and was it sucessful.

I forget - do those fees go to pay employees a living wage?

In some cases, yes. But please define "living wage" while taking into account country of origin, place of employment, hours/shifts worked, and people put up with!;)

Thanks!

Sea Hound:D

I like the system the way it is. Why would anyone want to part with their $$$ any sooner than necessary:confused: The $336 service charge for my upcoming cruise has been sitting in an account for the past several months earning interst. If it were rolled into the fare, not only would someone else be earning interest on my money, but also it would be lost if the cruise needed to be canceled (w/o insurance). Also, it's been my experience that all-inclusive (tips included) resorts, cruise lines, etc. usually have a much higher bottom line.

I like the system the way it is. Why would anyone want to part with their $$$ any sooner than necessary:confused: The $336 service charge for my upcoming cruise has been sitting in an account for the past several months earning interst. If it were rolled into the fare, not only would someone else be earning interest on my money, but also it would be lost if the cruise needed to be canceled (w/o insurance). Also, it's been my experience that all-inclusive (tips included) resorts, cruise lines, etc. usually have a much higher bottom line.

Good point, KerCar!:D

I hope this is not considered hijacking the thread, because it does involve DSC/Auto Tips,etc. Is there, or has there ever been, a cruiseline that once you pay the fare, when you step foot on the ship you don't pay another dime? For instance you pay XXXX.XX and when onboard your tips, alcoholic beverages, spa, excursions, everything is included? Now personally I would rather pay a lower fare and then choose how I spend my money after im onboard. But was just curious if this has ever been done and was it sucessful.

Terry~I think some of the luxury lines are all-inclusive, but you have to pay a very high premium for this convenience! I agree with you 100%. I like that NCL maintains a lower price point and allows us to pick and choose what we'd like to splurge on. I've personally never felt nickled and dimed on an NCL ship. How little or how much we spend onboard is the one thing we have complete control over:)

Terry~I think some of the luxury lines are all-inclusive, but you have to pay a very high premium for this convenience! I agree with you 100%. I like that NCL maintains a lower price point and allows us to pick and choose what we'd like to splurge on. I've personally never felt nickled and dimed on an NCL ship. How little or how much we spend onboard is the one thing we have complete control over:)

I so agree with you on that.. we have never felt nickled and dimed either. I do remember reading about one of the high end cruiselines including alcoholic beverages.. I just didnt know if it included every thing else. I honestly can't even remember which line it was and if it also included your tips.

Silversea is almost all inclusive, with the exception of shore excursions, and (I'm assuming though not 100% sure) spa treatments. I'm sure their selection of free alcoholic beverages doesn't include extremely high priced wines, but for all intents and purposes wine and liquor is included.

The better river cruises include shore excursions, and maybe some wine with dinner, but not all alcohol. They don't have the spa facilities that ocean liners do.

Having spent between 100 and 150 nights on four different cruise lines, one river cruise line, and one adventure travel cruise line, I simply can't imagine service ever being "bad enough." Nothing has even come remotely close in our experience.

Having spent 4 nights cruising on one cruiseline, and 52 years on Planet Earth. I can easily imagine it.

I haven't been run down by a car in thousands of street crossings, but I can imagine it.

At one time HAL was no tipping and it was heavily advertised. The policy has since been discontinued.

At one time HAL was no tipping and it was heavily advertised. The policy has since been discontinued.

It was "no tipping required" but believe me, the staff would work you for tips if they at all thought you were a candidate to give them one (meaning generally anyone under the age of 70). I remember going on an HAL cruise when our son was about 12, and the wait staff acted like he was the King of England. As soon as they figured out what his favorite soda was, every night when we went to dinner a bottle of the soda was awaiting him set up on ice in a bucket as if it was champagne!

Needless to say, they did get a substantial gratuity at the end of the cruise.

I guess for the same reason that other cruise lines don't do it. Just like the restaurant business on land, who you could also say should pay their employee's a living wage, yet don't, and rely on tips from customers to pay their staff. Hostesses, managers, chefs, etc are paid a decent wage, just like officers and operational crew on a ship. But those that provide a direct service to the customer rely on tips.

It's not just NCL either....it's all cruise lines except of course for the high end ones who don't allow tipping.

CG

It's not just NCL that has the DSC. On our 2004 Carnival cruise, we paid $7 pp/pd. It was also customary to tip your waiter at the end of the cruise, and the Maitre d'.

Maybe that's already been said in the thread..?

Archived